Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What exactlly I idiomatic French?

• 26-05-2011 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hey just wondering what exactlly it is ...... I am kind of confused! They say it's what gets you marks and all that but I don't know what it is! :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated :D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭red_red_wine

Idiomatic French is just using French idioms in your speaking/writing. A French idiom is exactly the same thing as an English (or Irish idiom) - an expression that doesn't make much sense translated literally, but is understood easily by native speakers.

E.g., we might say that two people are as 'thick as thieves' or that it's 'raining cats and dogs.' The literal meaning of these is fairly nonsenical, but they are easily recognisable by us.

The same applies in French, for example, you might say 'J'ai un peu le cafard.' Literally, this means that 'I have a little bit of the cockroach' but figuratively, it means that you're really sad, down in the dumps etc.

Collins have an excellent book of French idioms: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Collins-Learning-French-Idioms-Reference/dp/0007337353

Beware of using them excessively though, just as it would be strange for us, as English speakers, to read a paragraph in which every sentence is idiomatic, the same applies for a French speaker/ French examiner! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Thank you :) that kinda cleans it up

Much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

Hey does anyone have a link to a list of idioms that would be useful for the leaving cert? Most websites have loads and loads and I don't want to use really obscure ones that the examiner wouldn't know...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Je vois la vie en rose - Which is like saying I'm optimistic
    J'en ai marre- I'm fed up
    J'ai passé une nuit blanche- I was awake all night

Ehhh, that's all I can remember at the moment!

Advertisement