Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vote concy ryan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,889 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Its pretend scoab fatigue really, i turned on the republic of telly the other night 3 acts on it
    1 pretend scum from limerick
    2 pretend scum from Cork
    3 pretend scum from dublin

Just taking things scumbags say and repeating them isnt very funny.

Strange thing is the early stuff "Concy" done was way better, he would be a funny comedy actor rather than just pushing this one character, that sadly for him is a year too late.

But still all the best to him hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Its pretend scoab fatigue really, i turned on the republic of telly the other night 3 acts on it
    2 pretend scum from Cork

Strange thing is the early stuff "Concy" done was way better, he would be a funny comedy actor rather than just pushing this one character, that sadly for him is a year too late.

He doesn't just do that, he was also staring in a short Film 'Scumbag Millionare' produced by Applebox Media, which he also helped produce - Aswell as a few others!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I agree with above posters that this 'scumbag' thing is getting tiresome. It was good when only a handful of acts were doing it (I'm thinking Rubberbandits and Hardy Bucks) and we could comment by saying 'well it is poking fun at undesirable elements' but by now, everyone gets the joke.

Concy (or Francis) isn't doing anything new and I don't find it humorous or entertaining so I will not be voting for him. I won't be voting for any of the other acts either.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

I agree with above posters that this 'scumbag' thing is getting tiresome. It was good when only a handful of acts were doing it (I'm thinking Rubberbandits and Hardy Bucks) and we could comment by saying 'well it is poking fun at undesirable elements' but by now, everyone gets the joke.

Concy (or Francis) isn't doing anything new and I don't find it humorous or entertaining so I will not be voting for him. I won't be voting for any of the other acts either.

Did Hardy Bucks only win this comp last year??...Concy has been doin this act for years now(limerick uncovered1,2).Its not as he jumped on the band wagon , when he was originaly doing this character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Did Hardy Bucks only win this comp last year??...Concy has been doin this act for years now(limerick uncovered1,2).Its not as he jumped on the band wagon , when he was originaly doing this character.

Hardy Bucks won in in 2009, but they had been putting up videos on youtube for a number of years before that. Hardy Bucks is a bit different to Limerick scumbag spoofs and is pretty much a cheap rip off of Trailer Park Boys.

The Rubberbandits have mixed in the scumbag spoof stuff into their act for over 10 years.

The Ard Scoil Ris connection with the Limerick acts is a bit interesting. Maybe Ard Scoil Ris churns out scumbag impersonators the way schools like Munchin's churn out rugby players .:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kess73 wrote: »
    The Ard Scoil Ris connection with the Limerick acts is a bit interesting. Maybe Ard Scoil Ris churns out scumbag impersonators the way schools like Munchin's churn out rugby players .:D

We had Paul O'Connell. :cool:
    And me! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hardy Bucks won in in 2009, but they had been putting up videos on youtube for a number of years before that. Hardy Bucks is a bit different to Limerick scumbag spoofs and is pretty much a cheap rip off of Trailer Park Boys.

The Rubberbandits have mixed in the scumbag spoof stuff into their act for over 10 years.

Out of curiosity, how many Lions captains has Munchins' produced?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

Francis Ryan aka Concy Ryan, went to Nessans

Out of curiosity, how many Lions captains has Munchins' produced?

No idea, I did not go to school there. Munchin's just seems to have an image of a rugby school and one that seems to have produced a lot of good rugby players over the last 25 to 30 years, where as Ard Scil Ris seems to have a number of ex pupils in recent times doing spoof comedy stuff and seems to have more of a hurling reputation.

It is hardly a put down to either school or to people who went to them when they were kids, but make it about mickey waving with your Lions question if you want.:p

padma wrote: »
    Francis Ryan aka Concy Ryan, went to Nessans

Well then I guess Ard Scoil Ris has less ex pupils trying to do comedy than I thought then. :)

Nessans is the school near to LIT isn't it? Caherdavin to the front and Moyross to the back? Or am I mixing it up with some other school?

• Advertisement

Well then I guess Ard Scoil Ris has less ex pupils trying to do comedy than I thought then. :)

Nessans is the school near to LIT isn't it? Caherdavin to the front and Moyross to the back? Or am I mixing it up with some other school?

Thats correct sir.

Thats correct sir.

Well I have no idea what Nessans is known for. :D

Other schools in Limerick seem to have reputations for one sport or another, but nothing springs to mind for me with regards to Nessans. Is it a school with that kind of sporting reputation, or one that is more low key?

Well I have no idea what Nessans is known for. :D

Other schools in Limerick seem to have reputations for one sport or another, but nothing springs to mind for me with regards to Nessans. Is it a school with that kind of sporting reputation, or one that is more low key?

TBH with you, I left school 17 years ago and was gone from Limerick for about 8 of them years so have no clue about the schools here.

TBH with you, I left school 17 years ago and was gone from Limerick for about 8 of them years so have no clue about the schools here.

Most of my secondary and third level time was in Liverpool, with some being in Germany as well (although I did spend a number of months in Waterford as part of one of my courses :D) so my knowledge of Limerick secondary schools is based on what I hear about them or what sports seem to be associated them with.

I spent a lot of summers here in Limerick whilst growing up and was born in Limerick, but my knowledge of schools is quite limited.

My interest in school and education in particular was never there since the age of 12 , so would neither have a clue nor an interest.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Munster player Declan Cusack played rugby with Nessans.

Munster player Declan Cusack played rugby with Nessans.

No idea who that is, other than the fact you say he plays for Munster.

My question was is Nessans a school that has a reputation for a particular sport like the way Munchin's, Ard Scoil, Rockwell, CBC, CBS, and the Crescent Comp would be known for wins in school comps and for being perceived to churn out players, or would Nessans be more low key in that it every now and then has a past pupil that does something but is not known for it like the other schools and is not known for it's wins in school competitions?

I think I may be answering my own question by having heard of the other schools for sports reasons and for past pupils in other fields, but I have never heard of any sporting (or anything else for that matter) reputation associated with Nessans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

No idea, I did not go to school there. Munchin's just seems to have an image of a rugby school and one that seems to have produced a lot of good rugby players over the last 25 to 30 years, where as Ard Scil Ris seems to have a number of ex pupils in recent times doing spoof comedy stuff and seems to have more of a hurling reputation.

It is hardly a put down to either school or to people who went to them when they were kids, but make it about mickey waving with your Lions question if you want.:p

The answer, such that it is, is none. Even Earls is a poach from Nessans.

would Nessans be more low key in that it every now and then has a past pupil that does something but is not known for it like the other schools and is not known for it's wins in school competitions?

Closer to this than the other. The tend to get a lot of talented young rugby and soccer players, but just not enough in any one generation to compete at the top level in schools' competitions. That said, they completely re-built the school a few years ago, so with the better facilities they could be a force in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 SavvyBoy

No idea who that is, other than the fact you say he plays for Munster.

My question was is Nessans a school that has a reputation for a particular sport like the way Munchin's, Ard Scoil, Rockwell, CBC, CBS, and the Crescent Comp would be known for wins in school comps and for being perceived to churn out players, or would Nessans be more low key in that it every now and then has a past pupil that does something but is not known for it like the other schools and is not known for it's wins in school competitions?

I think I may be answering my own question by having heard of the other schools for sports reasons and for past pupils in other fields, but I have never heard of any sporting (or anything else for that matter) reputation associated with Nessans.

Way to go off topic Kess, I don't want to offend/upset you but my opinion is you love to rant. I think you should set you a blog to rant about random thoughts entering your head and stop spamming threads with your head. He said he has no clue or INTEREST in school reputations and then you reply with that!

Anyway, back on topic, Concy for the WIN!

It's pure funny and only for a mess, stop taking the comedy too seriously lads!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Castletroy are the new school on the block. They won the Munster SC and JC in the same season a couple of years ago. Not bad for a school with no history of success. on the rugby pitch.

BTW...Ya this has gone way OT. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bizzy7777

Well,I had the great honor of living in Limerick a few years ago hung around with the goodisons and griffins,i had the privledge of walking by myself through moyhill and with friends a few times,well i wasnt greeted with smiles at every turn i wasn't bothered either lol
    now i've travelled quite a bit know many types of people from the lowest classes in moyhill and hold them with the same respect and friendship to the highest classes in england and here in canada,so heres my pint of course everyones entitled to theyre opinion but in forming those opinions keep in mind the area that concy comes from was formed by poor govermental spending and years of citizen neglect the very fact that talent comes from these places let a lone the will and determination it takes to succeed in the film buissness is a glowing beacon of hope and PRIDE for not just limerick but all ireland as a whole!but i guess you rather this man and his off spring be robbing your houses and in and out of limerick jail costing you thousands of euros in tax money right?
    I imagine much like myself he has been raised in hardtimes bathed in neglect gone through puberty battered and fed on disrespect and financial class discrimination and hes still standing in front of ye all not camera shy,and trying to do somthing positive for his life and his communities pride,instead of boosting your car and selling it for parts or robbing your post office 5 minutes before you go to get money out.....Brother i commend you and will pray more men like you stand up and lead by your example,i only pray one day i can put your"scumbag" hand in mine shake it and buy you a good meal and drinks,keep it up kid your a diamond in the rough!

SavvyBoy wrote: »
    Way to go off topic Kess, I don't want to offend/upset you but my opinion is you love to rant. I think you should set you a blog to rant about random thoughts entering your head and stop spamming threads with your head. He said he has no clue or INTEREST in school reputations and then you reply with that!

Anyway, back on topic, Concy for the WIN!

It's pure funny and only for a mess, stop taking the comedy too seriously lads!

And what am I ranting about in this thread? And the post you quoted as my rant was not even to Padma, who is the poster that went to that school but who said he/she did not know. I was replying to the poster that named a rugby player from the school. I was simply curious about the school as I knew nothing about it other than where it was.

Maybe you should actually figure out who is talking to who before diving in saying someone is "ranting"

And nobody is taking the comedy in question too seriously. People were just saying whether they liked it or not.

I already gave my reason for not voting for the Concy Ryan video. I said it was not funny or original in my eyes, but that fair play to the guy for trying to get into that field as many people who were in prison in real life don't make that kind of effort in the years following their release.

At least the current scumbag spoof video is in better taste to his "comedy" video up on youtube where he robs a car and tries to knock a guy down in it, which was pretty shocking and insensitive given the reason he was put in prison was for killing a person with his car.

If he makes it with RTE or wherever, then fair play as it will be because of hard work, but I just hope that there is more to his future comedy than rolling out spoof scumbag characters.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

bizzy7777 wrote: »
    Well,I had the great honor of living in Limerick a few years ago hung around with the goodisons and griffins,i had the privledge of walking by myself through moyhill and with friends a few times,well i wasnt greeted with smiles at every turn i wasn't bothered either lol

Quite the feat, considering no such place exists in Limerick city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bizzy7777

i meant the area depicted in the show concy ryan excuse me the areas name escaped my memory being so many years ago,but i see you have too much time on your hands ill excuse you trying to make me out a liar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

bizzy7777 wrote: »
    i meant the area depicted in the show concy ryan excuse me the areas name escaped my memory being so many years ago,but i see you have too much time on your hands ill excuse you trying to make me out a liar

nobody is trying to make you out to be a liar, just pointing out the fact that it doesnt exist dont be so touchy !

this thread highlights why the limerick forum is in serious decline, too many whiney ***** always giving out and picking arguments. Cant keep one thread on topic without someone being abused or someone else getting thick, grow up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dizz83

Does Limerick really need another fake scumbag to represent it in the national media?

Rubberbandits, Haunty Beor, Concy Ryan.

Haunty Beor isnt a "fake scumbag" character, she's a Guidette, her mission statement is to have fun, and that looks can be deceiving! She might dress in a sence that make people think she's taking the piss out of Limerick, but really she is spoofing the cast from Jersey Shore and does a lot of work for different charities, doesnt drink, smoke or swear in her videos and appeals to nana's teens and kids cause of her giant hair and funny accent! She's an outsider living in Limerick, loves it and promotes it in a positive aspect!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 gimmy

2 pretend scum from Cork

The early stuff was better as it was wrote and directed by different people. I liked the original Limerick Uncovered short which had a different character played by the same actor. I think this actor has been milking it ever since.

Hmmm four new posters who all made their first posts in this thread.....:D

• Advertisement

Hmmm four new posters who all made their first posts in this thread.....:D

All different people! Believe it or not. Report anything suspicious though. Just in case I miss it. ;)

Advertisement