Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bingo in cork city and county

Options
  • 26-05-2011 1:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

anyone got any list of places and times of bingo in the city or county, i know the neptune does it on tuesdays, but dont know the times or prices.
    thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Auntys pub in Tower 9 o clock tuesday nights

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭cordub

sars gaa club tues night at 8 glanmire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

anyone got any list of places and times of bingo in the city or county, i know the neptune does it on tuesdays, but dont know the times or prices.
    thanks in advance
    Tuesday night at 8pm the Neptune bingo starts, Double book for nine euro and single book six euro. Jackpot game is three euro and jackpot start at 3000 quid on 40 calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

The Barrs gaa club, Togher, Friday.
    Not sure if 8pm or 8.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

there is a new bingo centre opening in Sept . In deanrock, togher. It will be a mega proper bingo hall. up to 1,000 seater.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭kinvara64

Blue Demons Basketball run a bingo for their juvenile section on weds @ 8.30 at Parochial Hall ,Gurranebraher. 6 for single book 9 for double. Busses from various parts of city and county free

What part? the pub or the industrial estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭chickenlittle

SMA in Wilton on Monday nights, I think at 8pm

kinvara64 wrote: »
    What part? the pub or the industrial estate.
    in the undustrial estate. used to be waters glass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Ballyphehane Community Centre has a long running game, over 20 years in my memory. It's on a Friday night, my mother goes :D

• Advertisement

there is a new bingo centre opening in Sept . In deanrock, togher. It will be a mega proper bingo hall. up to 1,000 seater.
    thanks curly from cork.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

CoalBucket wrote: »
    Ballyphehane Community Centre has a long running game, over 20 years in my memory. It's on a Friday night, my mother goes :D

Indent suppose you'd know if one an buy a pint at this? Myself and a couple of friends are thinking of popping along.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Any more news on that?

yip my brother is working on it at the moment. supposed to be mega amazing and huge , state of the art with electronic bingo cards built into the tables. Restaurant etc It wont be open til Oct though.

http://corkindependent.com/stories/item/4773/2011-39/Bingo-for-Cork-as-30-new-jobs-are-announced

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/bingo-for-cork-as-30-new-jobs-are-announced-522266.html

also saw this end of one of the articles I read on line , its about available jobs.

The positions available include openings for management, floor, security, cashier, office, parking and cleaning staff. Job applications can be sent by email to dbarber@rockbingo.ie or by post to Dave Barber, Rock Bingo Club, Togher, Cork.

http://corkindependent.com/stories/item/4773/2011-39/Bingo-for-Cork-as-30-new-jobs-are-announced

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/bingo-for-cork-as-30-new-jobs-are-announced-522266.html

also saw this end of one of the articles I read on line , its about available jobs.

The positions available include openings for management, floor, security, cashier, office, parking and cleaning staff. Job applications can be sent by email to dbarber@rockbingo.ie or by post to Dave Barber, Rock Bingo Club, Togher, Cork.

Thought I read somewhere that they were having trouble getting planning through for it.

johnayo wrote: »
    Thought I read somewhere that they were having trouble getting planning through for it.
    Hopefully they won't as it would cause a lot of damage to club bingo's all over Cork that have been in place for years.

stacexD wrote: »
    Any more news on that?
    They were refused planning permission last week in court !!!!Seems the judge said a big place would take away a lot of business from small bingo places :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Dormy

cordub wrote: »
    They were refused planning permission last week in court !!!!Seems the judge said a big place would take away a lot of business from small bingo places :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Incorrect.
    Its already there.
    The article in the examiner implied there was some problem with a charitable licence or something like that.(not sure)
    I believe it is going ahead anyway. Mid/late oct opening

Dormy wrote: »
    Incorrect.
    Its already there.
    The article in the examiner implied there was some problem with a charitable licence or something like that.(not sure)
    thats brill i must have read it wrong , Looking forward to it !!

• Advertisement

Dormy wrote: »
    Incorrect.
    Its already there.
    Have things changed so since this article ????
    www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bingo-ruled-out-over-charities-concerns-168275.html

cordub wrote: »

Now that is the one I had read. Thought it was a planning issue but obviously refused a licence for it.
    I think that no licence should be given until City Council does something with the junction outside the place. I am convinced that they are waiting for fatalities to happen there before sorting it out.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CorkBingo

A DISTRICT court judge has refused to grant a licence for a commercially run bingo hall in Cork.

Superintendent Charles Barry described the proposal as being like a big supermarket swallowing up smaller local shops.
    "I am satisfied there is a sufficient number [of bingo nights] operating to enable me to refuse this application," said Judge Leo Malone.

Harry McCullogh, solicitor, brought the application on behalf of the charity St Augustine’s Global Foundation.

If successful, St Augustine’s would have used a new commercial bingo company, Omega Leisure Ltd, trading as Rock Bingo, as its agent. It has planning permission to operate the former Waters Munster Glass premises in Togher as a customised bingo venue, available to all charities licensed for bingo.

Mr McCullogh indicated that yesterday’s refusal would be appealed to Cork Circuit Court.

Grounds for objection relate firstly to the character of those who would run the operation. None of yesterday’s objectors at Cork District Court had any objection on that basis. It was agreed by all parties, including the objectors, that the managing director of Omega, James Barber, was a man of impeccable character.

Objections were made only on the basis that the area in which Rock Bingo would operate was already well catered for in terms of the number of bingo nights being operated by sports, community and charitable groups.

"Many charitable organisations depend on bingo as a significant part of their income," Supt Barry told the court.

"This is like a big supermarket coming in to swallow up the local shops. They will be closed down by it.

"The money off the local bingo nights at the moment goes back to penny dinners or the elderly people. The majority of the profit goes back to the local community and stays in the local community.

"As superintendent, should I be concerned that this big commercial organisation is going to come in, and out of €1 spent in Rock Bingo 10c will go to charity, 50c will go to prizes and 40c will go to Rock Bingo? If the legislature wanted commercial bingo, they should have legislated for it. This is a way of circumventing the law. That is my concern."

The superintendent characterised the application by Nicholas Condon of St Augustine’s Global Foundation charity as "a Trojan horse allowing Mr Barber to operate".

Objectors included the St Finbarr’s GAA club, Ballyphehane community association and the community centre at the Society of African Missions in Wilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CorkBingo

A DISTRICT court judge has refused to grant a licence for a commercially run bingo hall in Cork which would have given 10% of its proceeds to charities.

Superintendent Charles Barry described the proposal as being like a big supermarket swallowing up smaller local shops.

"I am satisfied there is a sufficient number [of bingo nights] operating to enable me to refuse this application," said Judge Leo Malone.

Harry McCullogh, solicitor, brought the application on behalf of the charity St Augustine’s Global Foundation.

If successful, St Augustine’s would have used a new commercial bingo company, Omega Leisure Ltd, trading as Rock Bingo, as its agent. It has planning permission to operate the former Waters Munster Glass premises in Togher as a customised bingo venue, available to all charities licensed for bingo.

Mr McCullogh indicated that yesterday’s refusal would be appealed to Cork Circuit Court.

Grounds for objection relate firstly to the character of those who would run the operation. None of yesterday’s objectors at Cork District Court had any objection on that basis. It was agreed by all parties, including the objectors, that the managing director of Omega, James Barber, was a man of impeccable character.

Objections were made only on the basis that the area in which Rock Bingo would operate was already well catered for in terms of the number of bingo nights being operated by sports, community and charitable groups.

"Many charitable organisations depend on bingo as a significant part of their income," Supt Barry told the court.

"This is like a big supermarket coming in to swallow up the local shops. They will be closed down by it.

"The money off the local bingo nights at the moment goes back to penny dinners or the elderly people. The majority of the profit goes back to the local community and stays in the local community.

"As superintendent, should I be concerned that this big commercial organisation is going to come in, and out of €1 spent in Rock Bingo 10c will go to charity, 50c will go to prizes and 40c will go to Rock Bingo? If the legislature wanted commercial bingo, they should have legislated for it. This is a way of circumventing the law. That is my concern."

The superintendent characterised the application by Nicholas Condon of St Augustine’s Global Foundation charity as "a Trojan horse allowing Mr Barber to operate".

In his application for a lottery licence yesterday, Mr Condon said: "We are a charity, and there are other charities, and we are seeking funds in a difficult environment. There are so many things we can do, we have to rely on commercial organisations in many ways to help us to raise funds… We believed they [the Barber family] are people of probity and good stewardship."
    In relation to the 40% of proceeds going to Rock, it was pointed out that this would be used to operate and promote the business, in which more than 30 people would be employed.

Objectors included the St Finbarr’s GAA club, Ballyphehane community association and the community centre at the Society of African Missions in Wilton.

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/kfgbidcwqloj/rss2/#ixzz1age5dguC

Update on rock bingo cork facebook page just now

We are thrilled to annouce we will be open for Bingo on Tuesday evening 1st of November.
    Stayed tuned for further updates.
    The Rock Bingo Team.

looking forward to Tues. I went to the sneak preview day when George Lee was making a show from there it is MEGA HUGE !!

We are thrilled to annouce we will be open for Bingo on Tuesday evening 1st of November.
    The Rock Bingo Team.

looking forward to Tues. I went to the sneak preview day when George Lee was making a show from there it is MEGA HUGE !!
    I hope it is an almighty failure.

Show Time wrote: »

The Rock Bingo Team.

I hope it is an almighty failure.

Why ?

Why ?
    YES WHY ???

Why ?
    Cork City is full of sporting clubs to which their local bingo is a lifeline to keep them in business. A fly by night operation like this could destroy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Show Time wrote: »
    Why ?
    Cork City is full of sporting clubs to which their local bingo is a lifeline to keep them in business. A fly by night operation like this could destroy them.

Have you evidence this is a fly by night operation?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement