Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build a workshop

• 26-05-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hi Folks
    I want to build a workshop/garage, the dimensions are 18ft wide X 25ft long, I dont want to go down the planning permission route (too expensive to build) so I want to do a tempory structure, So i'll put down 4-6inches of conc base and bolt on my tempory structure to it. But my problem is the garages for sale etc are basically corrugated iron sheeting finnishes, I want to have somthing which is somewhere between a traditional plaster finnish and the corrugated look. I was thinking ship lap timber but for that size building it would look awful. I am going to build it timber frame anyway but what to finnish externally is the problem, any ideas?:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

My advice?

Reduce the size of it to 40sq/m which will exempt if from planning permission (needs clarification) and build a proper permanent shed - if cost is not too prohibitive.

If you go down any other non permanent route you will still spend thousands and have something that you probably wont like if you dont like cladding or timber finish

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

snyper wrote: »
    My advice?

Reduce the size of it to 40sq/m which will exempt if from planning permission (needs clarification) and build a proper permanent shed - if cost is not too prohibitive.

If you go down any other non permanent route you will still spend thousands and have something that you probably wont like if you dont like cladding or timber finish

+1 to the above.

With blocks down to 45 cents a block,you would build a propper solid block shed with a tile effect cladded roof for not alot of euros these days.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I built a shead 80sqm last summer, cavity block, pitch roof, cladding roof finish, and plastered finish napp coated, reveals around the door, pair of solid mahogany doors - including foundation and concrete floated floor, paths and groundworks for 7,500.

This was essentially materials only, as all the work was dont by Snyper inc - but is you half that for the size the OP wantsand add labour - perhaps 7k would cover alot of it. Now thats alot of money, i know someone that spend 2k on a big timber shead 2 years ago.. it wont be there in 5 years time, and doesnt have the comfort or security

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1586,en.pdf

clarification in section 6, 40 is the limit:D

Edit: just looked at section 7, If your building a new structure then 25sq/m is your limit.

Edit again: sorry about this but does anybody know what the definition of a temporary structure is? If explained it may give OP and future boardies a better understanding of the options available :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

Temp structure as I understand it, is any building not permanently fixed to ground for example using a foundation, What is commonly done as a way around planning permission is put down a conc base and bolt on a shed, I rang a local builder and he says same,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Paul.C

Cool, Il bear that in mind. So would it be possible to buy 2 precast concrete slabs, lie them on the ground on top of a dpm, fix a double soulplate to the perimeter (with gaps on the bottom one for bolts)and bolt on to that? Or I suppose you could probably make your own mould and pour your temporary concrete slab yourself with lots of rebar. You may even be able to torch on for better moisture barrier! Is it that easy to bypass planning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭strandsman

seems so. but i would'nt buy 2 conc slabs, that would be silly! easier to pour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Paul.C wrote: »
    ....Or I suppose you could probably make your own mould and pour your temporary concrete slab yourself with lots of rebar.
    Temporary Concrete Slab.??
    Is it that easy to bypass planning?

Somehow I doubt it, my ( limited) understanding of a Temporary Structure is one that can be easily removed, leaving the area in its original state, a Concrete Slab would seem to go against this idea. Also as a temporary structure are there any time limits on its presence.I would carefully check this out before building your shed, as you seem to be planning a structure in excess of 40SqM and an application for retention may be the outcome, especially if anyone objects.

Advertisement