Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile Phone Contract issue

• 26-05-2011 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi all,

I am currently 6 months into a phone contract. It goes on for another year but I'm leaving the country indefinitely next month.

Apparently, there is no way out of it. I just have to continue paying each month until the contract stops or else cancel it and pay the penalties.

I guess its fair enough, but I thought there would be a way of freezing the account or transferring the account but no such luck...

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing or if anyone knows of any loopholes?!

Cheers. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 heromclegend

Also, once I was abroad for a short time, same contract, and had an issue with the phone because it wasn't working while abroad.

Didn't complain at the time... probably should have but I'm guessing that is not a valid enough reason to be like "here, this one time your service didn't work.. lemme out of this contract..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,934 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Ask them if you can be moved to a cheaper tariff - your contract may say 18 months @ €x per month, in which case they don't have to oblige you, but if you explain the situation someone may be able to move you to the cheapest monthly bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'd ring up Customer Service and explain the situation. They may be able to offer something to you.

Switching to the cheapest possible tariff is a good idea, assuming that you are able to do so.

We have 3, o2 and Vodafone forums here on Boards. Is your provider one of those? Let me know and I can move this thread there, so one of the representatives can help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

O2 wil allow you to switch to the lowest tariff in your plan group and this may help. If you've lost your job or can prove you're in financial difficulty some networks can freeze a contract temporarily and put you on an "emergency limited" plan until you're back up and running but it is temporarily and they will resume the normal contract eventually. The only other option which is a long one is EU regulation 17.

If a network changes the T&C's of your existing plan during your contract you have one month to exit your contract without penalty if you disagree with the changes. Keep an eye on your networks notification pages. It does happen and has happened (I got out as did many others when O2 and vodafone changed their T&C's. Eircom also lost customers similarly).

• Advertisement
Advertisement