Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CVS Test/Scan in Dublin?

• 26-05-2011 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi,

Where can you get a CVS scan in Dublin? We have had a Nuchal test (1/200) result which we have been advised is on the threshold for further tests in most countries.

Anyone had this done and with experiences to share?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭LEH

Hi Neffa,

No experience of CVS myself, but I know they do them in the Beacon in Sandyford (imff.ie), and in Merrion Fetal Ultrasound clinic near Holles St.

Hope that helps, and that somebody else can give some first hand experience!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I know H Street does them, a friend had it done there due to her age (she is from the USA, where they are much more routine), but she had to ask for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

If you are going to have further tests, I would suggest that amniocentesis would be a better option than CVS. I believe the risks are less from amniocentesis than CVS. Speak with your obstetrician who will be able to put you on the right track. You'll be better havig it thorugh the maternity hospital that you are attending to ensure continuity of care, and if any abnormalities are detected, you will already have an established relationship with your care team to discuss any findings etc...

I would also suggest that you are absolutely sure that you really want to have the tests done. I believe the risk of miscarriage from the amniocentesis in 1/100, and its even higher for CVS. Make sure you weigh up your options before you decide on anything.

Hope this helps and good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

My wife had a nuchal fold measurement of 2.6mm , with the combined blood test we got a result of 1/4 for Down syndrome.
    We read about the risk of miscarriage compared to waiting for amniocentesis and decided that we just wanted to know as soon as possible just to be prepared for the idea of raising a child with Down syndrome.
    Had CVS test done 2 days later in the neonatal unit of the Rotunda.The doctor was very professional and did her best to put us at ease. My wife was not uncomfortable during the procedure and had no cramping afterwards

Best results back . No chromosome abnormalities :)

Try not to stress about a 1/200 result, I know its a big shock but that's worst case scenario. Feel free to mail if you've any questions.

This happened 11 weeks ago , we are now at week 23

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

Hi,

I went for a CVS test back in february, as my nuchal fold and bloods came back high risk for Downs. I decided to go for the CVS as I wanted to know what was ahead of me. I had the CVS test done privately at the Rotunda. It cost 250 euros for the test, then I had the option of getting the results back within 72 hours, that cost an extra 250 euros. In the UK , this test is routine here in Ireland you have to go looking for these things. I think there's a stigma with it, as some women may have it with the view of having a termination dependent on the result. Plus there's only a small window of time to have the test performed in. Anyway, thankfully results came back normal and they were also able to tell me the sex of the baby. I'm now 28 weeks and doing well.
    Hope that helps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement