Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks "Whoring" by After Hours Mods

Options
  • 26-05-2011 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I'm specifically referring to when threads get locked. It seems to have become a running theme now that when an AH Mod locks a thread they also have to make some sort of a smart-arsed remark too. Why not just lock a thread and give a reason why the action was taken?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

It's After Hours. Aren't smart arsed comments obligatory?

What's this really about Mike?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Right, I'll bite.

Why be so joyless? What's wrong with putting an entertaining end to a thread that has to be locked? Especially in AH, which is supposed to be a fairly light-hearted forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭ucdmike

Right, I'll bite.

Why be so joyless? What's wrong with putting an entertaining end to a thread that has to be locked? Especially in AH, which is supposed to be a fairly light-hearted forum.

Well I wouldnt call locking a thread and making a comment such as "We dont care" an entertaining end to a thread. Its just ignorant. And that's just my point, most of these comments made by Mods are just smart-arsed, rude and ignorant. Why not give the OP some genuine feedback on the reason why their thread was locked rather than trying to belittle them?

And if you go through the threads on AH you will see plenty on the topic of Thanks Whoring and while people do generally enjoy the witty and humorous comments, the remarks being made by the Mods usually dont fit into this category.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Well I can permaban you if you like.

(This sort of thing?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Causing a thread to rapidly get pushed off the front page is thanks-whoring now?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

ucdmike wrote: »
    Well I wouldnt call locking a thread and making a comment such as "We dont care" an entertaining end to a thread. Its just ignorant. And that's just my point, most of these comments made by Mods are just smart-arsed, rude and ignorant. Why not give the OP some genuine feedback on the reason why their thread was locked rather than trying to belittle them?

And if you go through the threads on AH you will see plenty on the topic of Thanks Whoring and while people do generally enjoy the witty and humorous comments, the remarks being made by the Mods usually dont fit into this category.

I'm tempted to post Serious Cat pictures, but Feedback doesn't work that way these days.

Instead:

Ignorant fc96ad814da494dec61f5128a498e508.png Arrogant.

"We don't care" comes across as being arrogant, yes. But so what? It's a closed thread on a discussion forum. After Hours balances serious debate with tongue-in-cheek stuff, the occasional rant and sometimes drunken silliness. A variety of thread-closing quips is to be expected.

It's not the end of the world. In 99% of closed threads the reason for locking is obvious enough. In other cases, a polite PM to the mod who locks it is the best way to get genuine feedback.

Edit: I've just spotted the "How's Our Driving?" thread in AH. Might be best to go along with that feedback thread instead of this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You are referring to this thread, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Mods have been doing this since pretty much the beginning of boards, not just since Thanks were introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,189 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nobody forces people to thank the AH mods. It just happens to be the case that AH mods bust their ass to keep that forum from imploding. Some people appreciate that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm specifically referring to when threads get locked. It seems to have become a running theme now that when an AH Mod locks a thread they also have to make some sort of a smart-arsed remark too. Why not just lock a thread and give a reason why the action was taken?

Its infinitely preferable to the kind of arrogant, over-aggressive crap that can and does go on in some places, tbh. Better a joke than that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

I think the thanks system works well in most forums I use on here... people use it to support a position where an extra post stating this would be superflouous.

However, it doesn't seem helpful on AH where, perhaps because of the nature of the forum, it often amounts to (a) picking sides and thanking everything your side say or (b)creating an atmosphere that eventually gets a little tedious because the attempts to say something smart, and be thanked handsomely for it, stop being funny.

For me this is has no positive ramifications, and means only occasionally heading into AH when it might be quiet and reasonable, or when I want to have some easy laughs for a few minutes before it gets boring. It isn't somewhere to go for a lighthearted conversation without aggro and picking sides in the most minor, trivial debates that could be interesting if they weren't so loaded with 'teams' and smart comments possibly looking for thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

later10 wrote: »
    I think the thanks system works well in most forums I use on here... people use it to support a position where an extra post stating this would be superflouous.

However, it doesn't seem helpful on AH where, perhaps because of the nature of the forum, it often amounts to (a) picking sides and thanking everything your side say or (b)creating an atmosphere that eventually gets a little tedious because the attempts to say something smart, and be thanked handsomely for it, stop being funny.

For me this is has no positive ramifications, and means only occasionally heading into AH when it might be quiet and reasonable, or when I want to have some easy laughs for a few minutes before it gets boring. It isn't somewhere to go for a lighthearted conversation without aggro and picking sides in the most minor, trivial debates that could be interesting if they weren't so loaded with 'teams' and smart comments possibly looking for thanks.

I said this in the AH Feedback thread last night.

Obviously a lot of people have a problem with the Thanks function. But a lot of people like it. It's something that seems to come up constantly.

I wonder is there a way of making "Thanks" an optional feature, like sigs and avatars? Users could choose to disable them, and therefore they wouldn't be able to thank posts and wouldn't see if posts had been thanked. People could still thank their posts but they themselves wouldn't be able to see it. Does this make sense!?

Anyway it would probably be a whole lot of work but maybe something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

If a mod locks a thread and comments, "we dont care", and 100 people thank it.

100 people dont care.

Its a valuable tool in deciding what might make an interesting thread.

If a person starts a thread in personal Issues, titled "Im going to kill myself"

The rules of that forum stipulate that it will be closed - if there was a comment of "we dont care" added to that, then perhaps yes, it wouldnt be apt, however, as its AH, its really nothing to get your panties in a twist about

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

You guys usually get the first few posts in to the new threads and steal all the thankies. We only want a few between us.
    Why try take that away from us

BAH!! Ive had enough!

Thread locked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

and why shouldnt whores be thanked ? its just rude not to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Jazzy wrote: »
    and why shouldnt whores be thanked ? its just rude not to
    I usually thank them after I've fcuked them .It would be just to rude not to ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I'll put a wad into the Santa thing at Christmas if somebody moves this thread to AH and then closes it with a mordant remark.

Advertisement