Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Negotiating short-term lease?

Options
  • 26-05-2011 2:06pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking to move in the next few weeks. In September, I'll be moving to the UK so I only want a short-term lease, either a fixed 3 month one, or month to month. There are plenty of student places available for the summer, but they're all dives. What are the chances of a landlord being willing to offer me a three month lease when a place is advertised for a year? I would be looking in the city centre (Cork) if that makes a difference. Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

There's no guarantee that a landlord will agree to it but I wouldn't hesitate in asking, it can do no harm. A 3 month lease isn't very appealing to a landlord though, it takes time and money to get a tenant in, a years lease or more will always be preferable to a landlord. I'd go with asking for a fixed 3 month lease, be upfront and honest about how long you intend to stay. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Agree with Cathmandooo- many LLs won't be interested, but some may rather have 3 months rent than none, especially if you have good references and promise to facilitate viewings in the last month of your tenancy. Ask up front (in email/ phone call before arranging a viewing, so as not to waste your or LL's time), and be prepared to pay a little above market value/ offer to pay a little more than is advertised if you really like a place, to make up for the LL's extra hassle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Thanks for the replies! I don't have references really and I don't fancy paying over the market value for a place, so I might just stick with the crappy student accommodation that's around for the summer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,396 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There will be students stuck with one year leases going away for the summer and landlords stuck with places that are likely to be vacant until September, so there is a market.

Compare student-orientated private properties to campus accommodation.

Another option would be to approach people who are renting out rooms only.

Advertisement