Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connemara natives fighting (Boxing) style

Options
  • 26-05-2011 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

On last Saturdays Irish Sun "News" paper page 41 the Boxing "Report" Mr Kevin Byrnes (Seconds out) wrote in his column "Andy Murray is in a training camp in Conamara ahead of his European title fight he visits Cardiff on June 4 to face Gavin Rees lets hope he doesn't take the Connemara natives fighting style to seriously - and carry a knife into the ring." I'm highlighting this as I find it in poor taste from a boxing reporter.

Now I'm a native from Conamara, where Andy Murray was training, in the parish of Ros Muc, there are two boxing clubs in the parish, never I've seen, heard or seen news reports of any Conamara native bring a knife into the ring. I would like a full apology from the report, his sports editor and the papers editor. I've wirtten a complaint to

http://presscouncil.ie/making-a-complaint/complain-online.1088.html

I met Mr Murray at a fundrasing event in the parish and he is a gentleman. I hope he brings the belt back to Cavan with him after his fight.

I will try and get a better copy than the one I have as the ink is in poor quality.

Starie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Starie1975

Radio Na Gealtachta have been covering this story today. I'll post the podcast later this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Please do - pretty disgusted, but not surprised by the scum... sorry sun.

Do you have a link to the story or a scan of the paper?

*Also a Conamara native and never heard anything like that about our fighters!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

Lads, hi

I'm Kevin and I wrote the offending piece. Look, it was written in jest and first and foremost, no offence was meant.

I have been speaking to a good few people from Connemara over the last few days and it has dawned on me that offence was indeed caused. For that I am sorry and I said so on the radio today.

With a lot of these pieces you can play them straight or use an angle. Believe me, I'm well aware that I took the wrong one in this instance! To add to that, I have nothing against Connemara folk at all.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Kevin, thanks for your comment.

However I still hold your paper responsible for it going to press. You for writing such an awful statement, the sports editor and paper's editor for letting go to print.

Did you really think that was funny? Cause I aint laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭EAFC_rdfl

ah,sure wrote: »
    Lads, hi

I'm Kevin and I wrote the offending piece. Look, it was written in jest and first and foremost, no offence was meant.

I have been speaking to a good few people from Connemara over the last few days and it has dawned on me that offence was indeed caused. For that I am sorry and I said so on the radio today.

With a lot of these pieces you can play them straight or use an angle. Believe me, I'm well aware that I took the wrong one in this instance! To add to that, I have nothing against Connemara folk at all.

Cheers,

Kevin

so will there be an apology published?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Hi Kevin, thanks for your comment.

However I still hold your paper responsible for it going to press. You for writing such an awful statement, the sports editor and paper's editor for letting go to print.

Did you really think that was funny? Cause I aint laughing.

Well to be fair to Kev he has acknowledged that he doesn't think it was funny after looking at it in the cold light of day.

He has apologised and I don't think we need to be so sensitive about it. Let's just put it behind us.

Well to be fair to Kev he has acknowledged that he doesn't think it was funny after looking at it in the cold light of day.

He has apologised and I don't think we need to be so sensitive about it. Let's just put it behind us.

Did he think it was funny when he wrote it in black and white? Did both editors think it was funny when they saw it?

When you write anything on paper (even The Sun) it's there for eternity. Journalists must be responsible for there work, there editors also.
    I'm I sensitive about it, yes, and good reason too. Don't think that I'm alone here.

While I do and have (I did thanked his comment) acknowledge the apology from Kev I stand by my letter of complaint to the ombudsman.

I will put it behind me once the ombudsman gets back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

He hasn't really apologised. He has only given a half hearted apology on a hard to find thread on a small Irish website. An apology should be printed in the paper, not here where 99.99% of the Sun readers will not be reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

Lads

It was said on the radio yesterday that there will be an apology in tomorrow's paper. I was clear on that.

Like I said, it was a silly gag that in two paragraphs came off simply wrong. I should have stated here that the newspaper will print the apology tomorrow.

All the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I have heard tales of knife fighting being common in times gone by, most stories originated in South Connemara.

Even heard one where two neighbours got into it, and one was asked later why he didn't stab so & so. Because the knife was rusty and he didn't want to give him blood poisoning. Not that he had any problem stabbing the guy.

I'm Connemara born & bred and have to say I think a bit much offense has been taken for what was written. I think things have been read into what was read above that aren't actually there.

?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭T2daK

johngalway wrote: »
    I have heard tales of knife fighting being common in times gone by, most stories originated in South Connemara.

Even heard one where two neighbours got into it, and one was asked later why he didn't stab so & so. Because the knife was rusty and he didn't want to give him blood poisoning. Not that he had any problem stabbing the guy.

I'm Connemara born & bred and have to say I think a bit much offense has been taken for what was written. I think things have been read into what was read above that aren't actually there.

I would ride you after that comment, but I don't want any more favours on boards.ie at the moment :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

imveryoffended byt he whole thing

Just read today's Irish Sun and the apology on it. Very well written and explained. I except the apology and I've already written to the ombunsman and withdrew my complaint. I would urge everyone to do the same.

I wish Kevin all the best and hope that the matter is over. Good luck the Andy in his fight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

As the Connemara man once said " twas a fair fight, everyone had their own knife "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

T2daK wrote: »
    I would ride you after that comment, but I don't want any more favours on boards.ie at the moment :p

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭punk77

Is there any truth in the rumour that Andy Murray,because of all the controversy surrounding his Connemara training camp and knives,has decided that it would be for the best if he moved his training camp to Limerick?

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

johngalway wrote: »
    :confused:
    lol

Anyway, the big fight is on Sky Sports on Saturday, all the attention seems to be on Rees his opponent.

C'mon Andy!:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭panama

Starie1975 wrote: »
    Just read today's Irish S** and the apology on it. .

Dont worry The Scum will find a way to offend someone else shortly, it's what they do.

Disgraceful excuse for a newspaper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement