Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA - Destined for Civil War?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Jerome Valcke tried to clarify his comments yesterday;
    In a statement released on Monday, Valcke stated: "Mr Warner has published an email which I sent to him. I'd like to clarify that I may use in an email - a 'lighter' way of expression by nature - a much less formal tone than in any form of correspondence.

Having said that, when I refer to the 2022 Fifa World Cup in that email, what I wanted to say is that the winning bid used their financial strength to lobby for support.

They were a candidate with a very important budget and have used it to heavily promote their bid all around the world in a very efficient manner.

I have at no time made, or was intending to make, any reference to any purchase of votes or similar unethical behaviour.

I would also like to clarify that there is, as I said yesterday, no investigation open at Fifa regarding the 2022 Fifa World Cup host election."

Qatar 2022 responded by saying, "Mr Valcke's statement [to Warner] was clearly taken out of context but again Qatar's name has been dragged through the mud for absolutely no reason.

We would like to reaffirm we won the World Cup bid with the best campaign and without breaching Fifa rules."

Clearly just a misunderstanding... :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

"Partners" Emirates Airlines have now joined Coca Cola and Addidas in expressing reservations about FIFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lapin wrote: »
    "Partners" Emirates Airlines have now joined Coca Cola and Addidas in expressing reservations about FIFA.

"Reservations" - so fúcking what.

The FA talking shíte - so fúcking what.

Journalists asking questions - so fúcking what.

Until someone actuallt DOES something, nothing will change.

Adidas or Coke or Emirates or Budweiser will need to pull their sponsorship, which could have a domino effect.

The FA, Australia, Japan, Spain, the USA - some "big" FA needs to pull out of FIFA, it could have a domino effect.

Journalists need to present strong prima facie evidence of wrongdoing, which is unquestionabley corrupt, and stop going on about hearsay and rumours, it could have a domino effect.

Until then, until someone, anyone, does something other than wring hands and constantly talk, talk, talk, then nothing will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Des wrote: »

Journalists need to present strong prima facie evidence of wrongdoing, which is unquestionabley corrupt, and stop going on about hearsay and rumours, it could have a domino effect.

Nail on head.

This actually reminds me of the purges FF did to get Haughey. None of them are straight enough to go toe to toe with Blatter on corruption, so they are leaking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭ynwa_17

Jim Boyce coming in as a FIFA Vice-President instead of Geoff Thompson. He can surely turn a blind eye to all of this if Blatter sorts out the current situation with regards to Northern players playing for Ireland :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

English FA seem to be putting pressure on now, asking for the election to be delayed and time for another candidate.

TheFA.com - FA Chairman David Bernstein makes statement regarding FIFA

Sponsors seem to be getting cold feet as well.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Sponsors seem to be getting cold feet as well.

No they don't, three sponsors have released bland statements that amount to "this is a bad image" - wow.

No they don't, three sponsors have released bland statements that amount to "this is a bad image" - wow.

Note they didn't criticise the corruption. They criticised the negative publicity

Blatter is in for 4 more years then Platini takes over and cleans up somewhat. Thats what will happen.

You think they would call on him to resign?

They'd make any moves behind the scenes, not come out all guns blazing at that would be stupid.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

You think they would call on him to resign?

They'd make any moves behind the scenes, not come out all guns blazing at that would be stupid.

Why would they want him to resign?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

The Scottish FA have also asked for the election to be postponed, following the English FA's example.

That was exactly my question.

Des seems to think the sponsors statement "this is a bad image" isn't good enouigh so I was kind of wondering what does he want them to do.

That was exactly my question.

Des seems to think the sponsors statement "this is a bad image" isn't good enouigh so I was kind of wondering what does he want them to do.

ok, here's a scenario.

Say Paddy the Butcher sponsors Ballysavage FC, his name is on their jerseys.

The Chairman of Ballysavage FC, Joe Smatter, becomes embroiled in a corruption scandal over the hosting of the U15s Final. Joe wants the final held in the town down the road, and pays the U15 Cup organiser to make this happen.

Paddy is aghast at this when it becomes public knowledge, and tells Ballysavage FC that he loves sponsoring them, but unless Joe resigns, he's pulling his sponsorship.

That's why, only in this instance, it would be Coke telling FIFA that unless they demonstrably clean up their act, then they pull sponsorship, and so do Budweiser, Adidas and Emirates.

es sponsoring them, but unless Joe resigns, he's pulling his sponsorship.

That's why, only in this instance, it would be Coke telling FIFA that unless they demonstrably clean up their act, then they pull sponsorship, and so do Budweiser, Adidas and Emirates.

But they have their noses in the trough as much as anyone. The status quo suits the

But they have their noses in the trough as much as anyone. The status quo suits the

So Paddy The Butcher has a deal with Joe Smatter that the pies in the clubhouse will only be made with Paddy's meat, and they pay handsomely for that meat too.

I can see why Paddy is staying quiet.

ok, here's a scenario.

Say Paddy the Butcher sponsors Ballysavage FC, his name is on their jerseys.

The Chairman of Ballysavage FC, Joe Smatter, becomes embroiled in a corruption scandal over the hosting of the U15s Final. Joe wants the final held in the town down the road, and pays the U15 Cup organiser to make this happen.

Paddy is aghast at this when it becomes public knowledge, and tells Ballysavage FC that he loves sponsoring them, but unless Joe resigns, he's pulling his sponsorship.

:D

They've publicly come out and said "it's a bad image". You can be sure there's stuff going on in the background. Coke don't come out with stuff like this very often so it's a big deal, even if they aren't squeaky clean themselves.

If the English and Scottish FA can get a few more countries behind them this could go further than most of us thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

TheTownie wrote: »
    Sure ex-player Platini only a few days ago came out and reiterated his stance against goal line and video technology. The guy is totally draconian.

The more I see of that tool the more I admire the other French midfielders like Giresse, Tigana and co.
    dartbhoy wrote: »
    The interview Blatter gave showed this man up to be arrogant and a complete dictator! FIFA will turn into a laughing stock if this ignoramous is left run the governing body of World soccer!

I think FIFA has been a joke for a while.
    Qatar getting the WC was the real eyeopener.

Coca Cola and Adidas have expressed their concern and hope FIFA deal with it thoroughly.

I know that sounds like a joke but its all they can say for now but if this shít continues they will no doubt start seriously considering their position as these companies don't like being associated with such unsavoury actions.

Ah now you are pulling the pis*.
    Coca Cola has been involved in some very unsavory sh** in South America and tell me again how come Atlanta got the Olympics ?

As for good old Adidas they have been in bed with FIFA for decades.
    It is what made them what they are in comparison to their sister company PUMA.
    Oh and don't forget that paragon of fair play and non cheating Bernard Tapie once owned them.
    Relying on them is like relying on Gilette to jetison another dodgy frenchman.
    Rubik. wrote: »
    You couldn't get more blatant evidence of bribery then this...

Undated-handout-photo-sho-007.jpg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/30/mohamed-bin-hammam-fifa?intcmp=239
    This actually reminds me of the purges FF did to get Haughey. None of them are straight enough to go toe to toe with Blatter on corruption, so they are leaking.

Jeeze brown paper envelops stuffed with cash and references to haughey and ff.
    I might as well be in the Politics forum. :D
    Jelle1880 wrote: »
    The Scottish FA have also asked for the election to be postponed, following the English FA's example.

At last a big FA is taking a stand.
    Where is delaney to stick the knife in and remind blatter the Irish never forget ?

I am not allowed discuss …

Warner and Bin Hamman now back Blatter for the presidency.

Bunch of wasters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bunch of wasters.

lol trying to save their own skins.

And apparently it's in breach of their suspension to come out with that news :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Just when I thought it couldn't get anymore farcical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭BeanFlicker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

jmayo wrote: »
    At last a big FA is taking a stand.
    Where is delaney to stick the knife in and remind blatter the Irish never forget ?

Delaney and the FAI will vote for Blatter. To sum up the future of FIFA; when the likes of Blatter, Warner and the FIFA execs are all long and gone, it will be the likes of Delaney that will be running the show and the Words John Delaney and integrity dont really go hand in hand.

Pauleta wrote: »
    Delaney and the FAI will vote for Blatter. To sum up the future of FIFA; when the likes of Blatter, Warner and the FIFA execs are all long and gone, it will be the likes of Delaney that will be running the show and the Words John Delaney and integrity dont really go hand in hand.

Please elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭spudwiser

Any sign of the FAI to make a statement on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Please elaborate?

The "Independent" licencing system
    "Loans" to clubs. Even though he knew he wasnt getting the money back (Drogheda and Cork)
    The fact he gave himself a salary higher than Barack Obama's and then went and sacked regional underage coaches
    Jobs for the boys (Don Givens)
    Getting rid of Fran Rooney because he had a dispute with his father over the missing tickets for the 94 World Cup
    Getting stewards to remove anyone showing dissent towards him at matches. "Delaney Out" banners are strictly prohibited.
    Asking Sligo to pay for their own League Cup medals whilst paying for a train to take Ireland fans from Bratislava to Zilinia

and thats the stuff we know about. He fills the perfect criteria to be a FIFA exec :pac:

Pauleta wrote: »
    The "Independent" licencing system
    "Loans" to clubs. Even though he knew he wasnt getting the money back (Drogheda and Cork)
    The fact he gave himself a salary higher than Barack Obama's and then went and sacked regional underage coaches
    Jobs for the boys (Don Givens)
    Getting rid of Fran Rooney because he had a dispute with his father over the missing tickets for the 94 World Cup
    Getting stewards to remove anyone showing dissent towards him at matches. "Delaney Out" banners are strictly prohibited.
    Asking Sligo to pay for their own League Cup medals whilst paying for a train to take Ireland fans from Bratislava to Zilinia

and thats the stuff we know about. He fills the perfect criteria to be a FIFA exec :pac:

So **** all. Nothing lacking in integrity on that list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Rezident

Why is Sepp Blatter still ruining the game after all these years? If Sepp Blatter really cared about world football he would just go. It would appear that all he cares about is his cash cow salary and now he wants another term in an "election" where his only competitor is mysteriously bumped off amid corruption allegations. Shameful.

I hope FIFA's sponsors withdraw as that's the only thing Blatter seems to care about, he openly mocks outside criticism, refuses to answer questions, runs FIFA like his own personal dictatorship, he's a disgrace. He was getting booed when he tried to speak as far back as the 2002 world cup.

Even his initial election victory in 1998 was surrounded in controversy, financial irregularities and he was directly accused of bribing the Somali football federation $100,000 to vote for him. Oh, so perhaps that's how he keeps winning these FIFA "elections". The FIFA investigation into this was cancelled by . . . Sepp Blatter. He's the Mugabe of football, why is it tolerated?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Rezident wrote: »
    He's the Mugabe of football, why is it tolerated?

I'd actually say he's the Ali Abdullah Saleh of football judging by the similarity of these two stories:

link 1 Saleh

link 2 Blatter

• Advertisement

Ah now you are pulling the pis*.
    Coca Cola has been involved in some very unsavory sh** in South America and tell me again how come Atlanta got the Olympics ?

As for good old Adidas they have been in bed with FIFA for decades.
    It is what made them what they are in comparison to their sister company PUMA.
    Oh and don't forget that paragon of fair play and non cheating Bernard Tapie once owned them.
    Relying on them is like relying on Gilette to jetison another dodgy frenchman.

Ah ya shoot the messenger ! :pac:

I was merely stating the public response of Coca Cola and Adidas, not trying to portray them as ethical companies with high moral standards.

However, regardless of their misdemeanors, they still do their utmost to portray a good image with the public majority and will take whatever steps necessary to maintain that image. I also mentioned that such actions would only occur if FIFA continued their current course to destruction which seems to be turning as everyone except the FA and SFA have getting behind Blatter again.

If you and others like you know of Coca Cola and Adidas performing questionable actions, well then good on you but that isn't a true reflection of their reputation amongst the general public.

The acting President of CONCACAF has just terminated Chuck Blazer from his role of General Secretary.

Looks like he has paid the price for being a bit too vocal for their liking.

EDIT: Barbadian Lisle Austin was appointed interim President of CONCACAF on Monday. Apparently Austin gave Blazer 48 hours to explain by what authority he appointed Chicago-based lawyers Collins and Collins to conduct investigations into the members of CONCACAF. He was also asked to produce minutes or documentation to show the decision was taken by the confederation’s executive committee and to stop Collins and Collins from "conducting any business" including legal advice or representation for CONCACAF but Blazer refused stating, "It clearly falls under my jurisdiction as general secretary of CONCACAF".

So the stalemate ended with Chuck losing his job with CONCACAF.

EDIT 2: Turns out now that Austin had no authority to sack Blazer so he is still General Secretary! :pac:
    An attempt to sack Fifa whistle-blower Chuck Blazer has failed after Concacaf confirmed he was still general secretary.

After Fifa member Blazer's bribery claims prompted the provisional suspension of Concacaf president Jack Warner and Asian chief Mohamed Bin Hammam, Lisle Austin - acting president of the North, Central American and Caribbean governing body in Warner's absence - attempted to fire him by sending him a letter stating they were terminating his contract.

However, a statement from Concacaf quickly slapped down Austin.

"Today an unauthorised declaration was made by Lisle Austin attempting to remove Chuck Blazer as General Secretary of Concacaf," read the statement.

This attempted action was taken without any authority.

Under the Concacaf Statutes, jurisdiction over the General Secretary rests solely with the Concacaf Executive Committee which has taken no action.

Further a majority of the Executive Committee Members have advised Mr. Austin that he does not have the authority to take such action.

Chuck Blazer continues as Concacaf General Secretary and with the full authority of his office.

The Confederation continues its normal operations including the Gold Cup commencing on June 5th at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas."

Good article here about how important the World Cup is to sponsors but particularly Coca Cola and why they would be reluctant to pull out.
    The 2006 World Cup was won by Coca-Cola. Of the 15 corporations that had paid tens of millions to be associated with the tournament, its name had been the most recognised. The key, said its jubilant head of sponsorship, Steve Cumming, was Coca-Cola's relationship with Wayne Rooney. "You do not get to the front pages of the tabloids easily," he said. "But we got there time and time again by combining two key elements; the World Cup trophy and Wayne Rooney."

This year, Coca-Cola publicly terminated its association with the Manchester United striker. In the wake of the bribery scandal that has coursed through Fifa like an open sewer, the company issued a statement that the allegations were "distressing".

Coca-Cola dumped Rooney; might it also dump the World Cup? No chance. There are other footballers than Rooney. There is only one World Cup and Coca-Cola has been paying to be part of it since 1970.

In the four years leading up to the 2010 tournament in South Africa, Coca-Cola and Fifa's five other "partners" – Adidas, Emirates, Hyundai, Sony and Visa - each paid between $24m–$44m annually to be part of the event. These figures give them the illusion of influence. The World Cup is the only thing that Fifa does that makes money. It has only three revenue streams: the sale of media rights, sponsorship and hospitality. Ticket sales go to the organising country.

These are not so much streams as waterfalls the size of Niagara, with profits for the 2010 tournament estimated to been $2bn. Fifa would cope with Coca-Cola's withdrawal with a single phone call to Purchase, New York, the headquarters of Pepsi, whose products were confiscated if they were taken into World Cup stadiims in South Africa.

When Visa paid $200m to become the World Cup's official credit card, it supplanted Mastercard, which sued. Sepp Blatter will comfortably survive this sabre-rattling by some unlikely knights, who have nowhere else to go. Coca-Cola is not paying $3m a month to be part of the squalid circus in Zurich but to be associated with the 2014 World Cup, where there will be a new Fifa president. It will be staged in Brazil, football's spiritual home, with cumulative viewing figures around the 26 billion of 2006.The television stations that have paid Fifa millions for the rights will broadcast from Copacabana beach, where beautiful young bodies will be kicking Adidas footballs, talking on Sony mobiles and drinking Coke.

Ah ya shoot the messenger ! :pac:

I was merely stating the public response of Coca Cola and Adidas, not trying to portray them as ethical companies with high moral standards.

Now that would be hard. ;)
    If you and others like you know of Coca Cola and Adidas performing questionable actions, well then good on you but that isn't a true reflection of their reputation amongst the general public.

I reckon most of the general public couldn't give two sh**s what companies get up to.
    They like their products and they buy the brand image.

And you are right in that article you posted.
    Pepsi, who have their own dodgy history, would only be too happy to step in if Coca Cola jetisoned FIFA.
    Liewise look at Adidas' competitors.

I mentioned FAI and delaney earlier and it now appears they are playing the long game by being good little FIFA boys and hoping that when the heir apparent mr UEFA platini takes over they will get more scraps from the top table.
    Expect a European Super Cup or something for the Aviva in next few years as reward for backing platini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

I mentioned FAI and delaney earlier and it now appears they are playing the long game by being good little FIFA boys and hoping that when the heir apparent mr UEFA platini takes over they will get more scraps from the top table.
    Expect a European Super Cup or something for the Aviva in next few years as reward for backing platini.

They have already got their reward, UEFA's decision to pool match TV rights amoung it's 53 members handing the FAI a 40 million euro windfall. Don't bite the hand that feeds and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

So did the FAI vote for Blatter today ?

• Advertisement

So did the FAI vote for Blatter today ?

The vote this morning was a motion to postpone the election and that lost 172 to 17.

Haven't heard any details of the actual election vote yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The vote this morning was a motion to postpone the election and that lost 172 to 17.

Haven't heard any details of the actual election vote yet.

I can't seem to find anywhere which way the FAI voted in that :confused:

Thank god that proposal wasn't passed. You'd see the UAE buying every 13 year old under the sun

EDIT Vote will be taking place in around 5 mins for President. Cant see Blatter not getting elected, but it might be of interest to watch for some of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Robert Mugabe would be proud of Blatter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

They should rename the convention to the FIFA ASS LICKING SYMPOSIUM,

Look, the reality is that all the FA's around the globe are full of guys looking to stay on the gravy train and to try and get on to the bigger gravy train, the FAI towed the line cos Platini is being lined up to be the next FIFA president, so all the other arse lickers are manouvering them selves into position to get on to a bigger gravy train, John Delaney will long term see him self as a big nob in UEFA, the NI FA were always going to tow the line cos their guy Boyce is headed for vice Pres of FIFA ................ Turkeys voting for Christmas and all that .............................

Secman

• Advertisement

hahaha ****ing up the voting already. Valcke sounds like he is going to have a heart attack

Rubik. wrote: »
    They have already got their reward, UEFA's decision to pool match TV rights amoung it's 53 members handing the FAI a 40 million euro windfall. Don't bite the hand that feeds and all that.

Oh yeah forgot about that.
    How to keep the small guys on side. :rolleyes:
    ynwa_17 wrote: »
    hahaha ****ing up the voting already. Valcke sounds like he is going to have a heart attack

Where are you watching this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

They are still voting.
    It's on sky news.
    It will take about another 1/2 hour for results.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

tough choice

Ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭MUSEIST

lol, what a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

This has me on the edge of my seat waiting for the outcome.:pac:

This springs to mind. Well at least in this you had some bit of a choice :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement