Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on planting Red Robin

Options
  • 26-05-2011 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭

I have just ordered 50 Red Robin plants which I intent to grow in to a hedge. Can anyone tell me how far apart I should plant them to get a nice tight hedge?
    Also any advice about soil preparation would be good too. Very new to gardening so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mr Kite

Hi Pinklady,

I'm no expert, but I have grown a couple of red robins. They are six years old and have a span of about four feet across, five foot tall. Just choose your ideal height i.e. five feet, to achieve this, clip the top three or four inches off during the growing season till it reaches the height. It will overtake your clipping and put on about a foot in height and begin to bush out. Once your happy with the height you should cut at least the top foot off every spring to promote the red new growth and encourage bushiness. Thereafter just a light clipping during the growing season to preserve your preferred height.
    Very hardy and I may be wrong but they have no special soil requirments, but of course the first year of planting is critical, keep pouring on the water. The new red spring growth looks great beside a few daffadils. nice shrub, enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Ideally dig a trench 2-3 times the width and depth of the rootball. Place plants in trench/channel, making sure they are upright and equispaced. Put plenty of fertiliser in (Fish, Bone and Blood) and mix in some soil conditioner if soil is poor. Plant hedge and firm soil around plants. Use your heel to 'firm soil' directly around each plant. Water regularly.

red Robin is a reliable performer and makes a beautiful hedge. I'd recommend regular light clipping to ensure good dense growth in the early years and of course new growth = more red, which matures to green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Thanks for the advice. :)

I assume I can get the fertiliser and conditioner from any garden center?

How far apart should I plant them? I was thinking maybe 1ft :confused: ?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions :o but I really am new to this and having spent a lot of money I don't want them to die or end up with a crap hedge. I think the Red Robin makes a beautiful hedge so I really want to get it right.

Thanks again for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Mr Kite

Hi Pinklady,

Maybe one foot is too close, if you're a patient person then 2-3 ft is ok and they will fuse together eventually with regular clipping - they're fairly bombproof really, no problems with the last two winters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Pinklady11

Thanks Mr Kite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Hi Pink Lady,

Two feet apart should be fine.

I don't know how tall or deep you want the hedge, but just remember to let the hedge grow past the height and width that you want and then cut it back to that, always best to leave it at least one season past what you want, and also cut the thick woody growth six inches below the height you want and let all the fluffy bits become the top of the hedge.

Hope that helps.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭touchdown77

Is this a suitable time to plant Red Robin ?

Advertisement