Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access to Science UCD

Options
  • 26-05-2011 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi there!

I am hoping to enroll in the Access to Science/Engineering course next year. I understand that the actual class time is on Wednesdays and Mondays. I just have a couple of questions though:

1. How much additional homework is expected on top of these classes?

2. Are there exams on monday/wednesday evening aswell, and how hard are they?

Any information would be great help. I am trying to do this course while still working a full time job and I need to see if I will actually have the time to fit everything in!

Thanks,
    Ally

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Hi Allyatsea
    I've just finished it so hopefully this will be of some use :)
    You're right classes are on Mondays and Weds from six to between 9-9.30. Some you get out earlier though. There's also classes most Saturday mornings from 10am till 1pm.
    it's split over the semesters so semester 1 you'll study study skills, maths and chemistry, and semester two will have study skills, either Maths or Biology (depending on which you select) and Physics.
    There is homework and depending on the subject really depends on how difficult it is. I for example, found maths and chemistry easy enough but biology quite hard, given it was more essay styles than actual answer a given question, if that makes sense?
    Of all the subjects I found Physics the most difficult, with that said, the teachers are hugely supportive and quite approachable for the most part.
    HTH :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

allyatsea wrote: »
    Hi there!

I am hoping to enroll in the Access to Science/Engineering course next year. I understand that the actual class time is on Wednesdays and Mondays. I just have a couple of questions though:

1. How much additional homework is expected on top of these classes?

2. Are there exams on monday/wednesday evening aswell, and how hard are they?

Any information would be great help. I am trying to do this course while still working a full time job and I need to see if I will actually have the time to fit everything in!

Thanks,
    Ally

I also did this course. Finished two years now. :pac:

There is not that much homework. You need to keep on top of your study skills journal. You get a few lab reports to do in Chemistry. You have to do one or two group projects in Maths. Biology requires some essay type assignments as Jessibelle has already stated. Oh, and you'll have to do a presentation in Study skills.

Sounds like a lot but its not really. I did find the Biology assignments took up the most time. It was the least enjoyable subject for me.

The exams are as hard or as easy as you want them to be depending on how much or little study you do. The exams tend not to stray from previous papers so once you study the topics as you go along and read over past papers you'll be fine.

As Jessibelle said, the tutors are very supportive and helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 allyatsea

Thank you both very much!

The information you have given me is really useful in terms of planning. I'm actually really looking forward to doing this. I know it sounds crazy to be adding another 10 hours of classes on top of 40 hours of work every week, but I can't wait!

A couple more questions:

1.Do you by any chance remember the dates for the lecture you had to attend in August? I contacted UCD but looks like they don't have the date yet for the 2011 lecture. I just want to make sure I am not away that day. Was it on a saturday? Was it late august or early in the month?

2. Do you have to buy any specific books for course, or do they provide the study material?

3. May I ask what courses you are doing now, after having successfully done the Access course? :)

Thanks again for your help, very grateful...

A couple more questions:

1.Do you by any chance remember the dates for the lecture you had to attend in August? I contacted UCD but looks like they don't have the date yet for the 2011 lecture. I just want to make sure I am not away that day. Was it on a saturday? Was it late august or early in the month?

2. Do you have to buy any specific books for course, or do they provide the study material?

3. May I ask what courses you are doing now, after having successfully done the Access course? :)

Thanks again for your help, very grateful...

The lecture wasn't on a Saturday. It was a Wednesday evening I think. Going by this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055355541 it was the 28th August 2008.

I guess you don't have to buy any books as you get notes in class but for practising questions they are good to get. Leaving Certificate books are good enough. The tutors will give you recommendations. I can tell you what books and websites I used if that's any help?

I've just finished my second year in Physiotherapy. After doing the access course I got offered my top 3 choices in TCD, UCD and Uni. of Ulster. You only need 60% overall to pass the course but if you want to get a good grounding for university and impress the application panel, you'd want to be aiming to get 80+% in most of the subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 MrDelling

Hi guys, do you think that it would be possible to take this course while also studying full time for a degree in Law at Uni? Also, would anyone be aware of the chances of getting into medicine off the back of the access course? Im mostly thinking of taking this course just to improve my science skills, not necessarily to get into medicine, just curious about that aspect.
    cheers :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 allyatsea

Larianne, wow, Physio, that sounds brilliant! Well done on getting in, I know the points for that course are very high so you must be delighted! Did you have to do the GAMSAT after the access course or is that only for entry to Medecine?

I thought this course was only in order to get access to a Bsc but now I am kinda curious about health sciences too (medecine, radiology, physio...)

MrDelling wrote: »
    Hi guys, do you think that it would be possible to take this course while also studying full time for a degree in Law at Uni? Also, would anyone be aware of the chances of getting into medicine off the back of the access course? Im mostly thinking of taking this course just to improve my science skills, not necessarily to get into medicine, just curious about that aspect.
    cheers :)

If you can fit it in!!!! If you are determined enough, it's possible. It depends on how much uni work you have as well.

I know UCD will consider students who have completed the access course but I'm not sure if any have gotten a place. But go for it! I was told it would be very hard to get into Physiotherapy but I worked very hard on the course and made sure I had a great application.
    Larianne, wow, Physio, that sounds brilliant! Well done on getting in, I know the points for that course are very high so you must be delighted! Did you have to do the GAMSAT after the access course or is that only for entry to Medecine?

I thought this course was only in order to get access to a Bsc but now I am kinda curious about health sciences too (medecine, radiology, physio...)

Thank you.

No, GAMSAT is only for medicine.

If you get 60%+ overall in the course you will get a place on the Science Omnibus course at UCD but it doesn't stop you from applying for other courses. The places are not guaranteed but doing the course shows your committement to proceeding to third level and will show your academic ability, something that is very important when applying as a mature student.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Tonyr1

Larianne wrote: »
    The lecture wasn't on a Saturday. It was a Wednesday evening I think. Going by this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055355541 it was the 28th August 2008.

I guess you don't have to buy any books as you get notes in class but for practising questions they are good to get. Leaving Certificate books are good enough. The tutors will give you recommendations. I can tell you what books and websites I used if that's any help?

I've just finished my second year in Physiotherapy. After doing the access course I got offered my top 3 choices in TCD, UCD and Uni. of Ulster. You only need 60% overall to pass the course but if you want to get a good grounding for university and impress the application panel, you'd want to be aiming to get 80+% in most of the subjects.

Hi larianne,

I also completed Access to Science a couple of years ago. We may well have been in the same class.

A quick question why did you choose UCD instead of TCD?

Tonyr1 wrote: »
    Hi larianne,

I also completed Access to Science a couple of years ago. We may well have been in the same class.

A quick question why did you choose UCD instead of TCD?

No Tonys in my class! :)

I chose TCD for a few reasons. The main one being TCD was closer to home and the second one, when I tried to contact the dept. on a number of a occasions they were not very helpful. I had also heard that from another student. I figured if they were like that with potential students, what were they like to actual students on the course? TCD and UL when I contacted them were very helpful in contrast.

Also, TCD had a smaller number in the class.

No Tonys in my class! :)

I chose TCD for a few reasons. The main one being TCD was closer to home and the second one, when I tried to contact the dept. on a number of a occasions they were not very helpful. I had also heard that from another student. I figured if they were like that with potential students, what were they like to actual students on the course? TCD and UL when I contacted them were very helpful in contrast.

Also, TCD had a smaller number in the class.

Hi Larianne, I completed Access to Science in 2010 in UCD. Thanks for insight , I also have an offer from both Uni's for Physio and am trying to figure out where to go. How have you found the TCD course so far?

• Advertisement

Tonyr1 wrote: »
    Hi Larianne, I completed Access to Science in 2010 in UCD. Thanks for insight , I also have an offer from both Uni's for Physio and am trying to figure out where to go. How have you found the TCD course so far?

The course is grand although we don't do placements till second year whereas with UCD you are sent out in the first year which I would have preferred. The two courses structures are different. Also, the hospitals you go to on placement will be different so I don't know if that would make any difference to you??

I do love Trinity though. PM with any questions! I'm also going to that evening next week so I could talk to you then. :)

The course is grand although we don't do placements till second year whereas with UCD you are sent out in the first year which I would have preferred. The two courses structures are different. Also, the hospitals you go to on placement will be different so I don't know if that would make any difference to you??

I do love Trinity though. PM with any questions! I'm also going to that evening next week so I could talk to you then. :)

That would be great i'm heading along next Wednesday as well I would be very keen to get your views thanks.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Maga

Hi, thanks for the information

I was wondering, how much does the course cost, and is there any kind of grant/support that would pay for full/half fees for mature students?

Last time I checked with UCD I seem to remember it was over 1000 euro.

Any ideas if they have the dates out yet?

Thanks a lot! I tried to contact them several times, but they are indeed very unreachable – had enough of their answering machines!

Thanks in advance!

Maga wrote: »

I was wondering, how much does the course cost, and is there any kind of grant/support that would pay for full/half fees for mature students?

Thanks a lot! I tried to contact them several times, but they are indeed very unreachable – had enough of their answering machines!

Thanks in advance!

I've found the adult education centre very good for getting back to you with queries. Have you tried contacting the course co-ordinator Thomond Coogan?? She is usually very good at getting back to you. Her email is thomond.coogan@ucd.ie They do have a big celebration ceremony coming up tomorrow along with an awards ceremony so they might be a bit busy this week with that.

Yes, the course costs €900-1000 approx. Everyone is a Mature Student going into the course so no help that way. I think they can make special payment arrangements if you are on social welfare. Again, your best bet is to talk to Thomond in the office.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Maga

Great Larianne, as always you are the best and helps everyone out so much!! :)
    Thanks a lot for that!

I'm trying to get a friend to do this course, he's trying to go into engineering and is a really really bright guy, but it seems like without an official proof of his commitment to return to education, things would be tricky for more competitive courses and universities…

We haven’t heard anything yet from DIT, but since it's June, I'm starting to worry and thinking of future options…

All the best and thanks again!

Great Larianne, as always you are the best and helps everyone out so much!! :)
    Thanks a lot for that!

I'm trying to get a friend to do this course, he's trying to go into engineering and is a really really bright guy, but it seems like without an official proof of his commitment to return to education, things would be tricky for more competitive courses and universities…

We haven’t heard anything yet from DIT, but since it's June, I'm starting to worry and thinking of future options…

All the best and thanks again!

Well it's still only the start of June but it is good to have other options available to you.

A few of the guys in my class went on to do Engineering at UCD and another is doing a part-time engineering course in DIT.

Tomorrow they are celebrating the course's 10 year anniversary so it is definitely now known among the universities of bringing applicants up to a university entry standard.

Hope everything works out for your friend.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Maga,

Attached link which will give you all the information you need.
    http://www.ucd.ie/adulted/courses/ex430.htm

It suggests a fee of €1,750 and applications will be open from june2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Suttree

Serious case of thread necromancy here, but just curious is there much in the way of lab work in this course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

It might vary year to year depending on scheduling, but in my experience, no. Two chemistry labs (one of which was just playing with molecule models) and two biology labs. Very basic stuff, and chances are you'll be repeating them in stage 1 science anyway.

Advertisement