Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Turning Confusion

Options
  • 26-05-2011 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hey, I am 36 weeks and just back from my GP who said the baby is still in breech positon. I came away a bit confused as he seemed quite concerned it hadnt turned yet and said by now he doubts it ever will. Yet my doctor in Holles Street and my pregnancy book says it can be up to 38 weeks before baby turns.........should I be worried about it not turning yet?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Winnie wrote: »
    .........should I be worried about it not turning yet?? :confused:

Without being insincere, I would say no, don't worry about it. Either the baby will or will not turn, but there's very little you can do about it. Put your mental energy into seeing the babe in your arms & forget anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Hmm... I suppose it depends on how big baby is and how much room there is for them to turn as well?
    Am fairly sure I've read in more than one place that it's around 38 weeks as well...
    I know one girl who is, as far as I can remember, 30 weeks pregnant on her fifth, and baby has recently turned. She's convinved she'll go really early, as none of the rest of hers turned until about a week before she went into labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Look up www.spinningbabies.com It's a website with tips and exercises for turning babies. It worked for my friend at around your stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

yeah I had a look at that website too........although my gp also told me there is nothing I can really do myself, it will either turn or it won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Winnie that's a terrible thing to say. Even if the exercises don't turn the baby surely it's better to encourage a mum to try anything than have her sitting at home feeling helpless.

GPs should really think before they speak sometimes. Just because it's not a medical procedure doesn't mean it doesn't work.

• Advertisement

Well I am basically not going to think about it too much until I see the doctor in the hospital on Monday as he will also scan me to see what position baby is in and I will wait and see what he says first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Babies can turn themselves up to about 37/38 weeks. Of course it depends on how big the baby is, how much room the baby has and how lax your tummy muscles are!

If you have an appontment on Monday, they may suggest trying to turn the baby for you - External Cephalic Version - ECV. It can be quite uncomfortable for you, and in a few cases it can bring on labour. If its an option they will discuss it with you in more detail at your appointment.

In the meantime, keep trying the tips on the website and enjoy your last few weeks of pregnancy! In the grand scheme of things, its not a complete disaster. You are well, baby is well, and one way or another you'll be holding your little bundle very soon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Our 2nd was breech at about 37/38 weeks. By the time we got scan organised to check position of placenta, the baby had turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Our little girl only turned at 38 weeks. se were in holles street, and the Doctor said

"i see from your last visit (2days ealrier that its breech) i'm going to book you in for a section tomorrow"

he then checked the ultra sound and said "good news it turned in the last 2 days"

Wifey took some Pulsatilla she was given by a friend of ours whos a homeopath

http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/turnbaby.asp

We can't say for sure that it was what turned our abby, but it may have been the reason, it would be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GoerGirl

Babies can turn just before or even during labour!

My last baby was a spinner - from transverse to breech to transverse to oblique - went into labour in oblique position and still very high but just towards the end she got in better position and slipped right down.

would second spinning babies as a great resource but try not to get too worked up about position just yet.

• Advertisement

well i have another 2 weeks to see if it turns. I am back to hospital on 13th and if not turned by then, i will be booked for section. not really worried anymore, what ever happens happens, once baby is safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'm hoping this won't be relevant for me next November, but are there any hospitals that are willing to attempt vaginal delivery on a breech presentation?

I dont think hospitals are too happy about delievering breech babies vaginally, thats why ill be in for a section if it doesnt turn. I wouldnt be worrying about that yet, you having ages to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I dont think hospitals are too happy about delievering breech babies vaginally, thats why ill be in for a section if it doesnt turn. I wouldnt be worrying about that yet, you having ages to go!
    Hiya Winnie, I'm not worried about it, just wondering out of interest if there are ANY hospitals in Ireland that will attempt a breech birth naturally or if they all automatically opt for a c-section. I know there are some midwives in the USA and UK who will assist at a vaginal breech birth and wondering if they are given any training/encouragement here to do the same.

I am not sure, I know people that have had breech babies vaginally in the North but this was about 10-15 years ago so not sure what protocol is now generally regarding this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

If you check out the Cuidiu stats (http://www.bump2babe.ie/statistics/) you'll see that there is a percentage of babies born breech... So they are willing to give it a try, you may have to push hard for it though because it usually is just automatic c section... I'd say it also depends on if the baby is proper breech or transverse...

yeah i think that counts too as there are a few different breech positions for the baby to be in plus the size of the baby counts I think. They gave me the impression that my baby is a bit big (not huge!) but big enough to make a breech delievery more risky.

Would you consider an ECV? Its when the doctor manually turns the baby by applying pressure to the outside of your bump. It can be uncomfortable but it works very well with some babies.

best of luck!

Yeah I knew about the ECV but they didnt offer to try it as the baby is a bit too large and could induce labour. They seem happier to go down the c-section route

Yeah I knew about the ECV but they didnt offer to try it as the baby is a bit too large and could induce labour. They seem happier to go down the c-section route

They prefer to do a Caesarean as they are afraid the labour could be induced by an ECV?

What is the difference I wonder?
    Both would equate to the same outcome = baby's birth

Best of luck for next week - not long to go!
    Enjoy these last few days before your baby arrives, however that may be!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

GoerGirl wrote: »
    They prefer to do a Caesarean as they are afraid the labour could be induced by an ECV?

I think they might be afraid labour will be induced by and ECV and the ECV failing so the baby is still breech and ending up in c-section anyway... especially if the baby is large!

Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, thanks January! :-)
    I will know Monday morning for definite anyway if and when ill be brought in for section. Longest weekend of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭SanFran07

GoerGirl wrote: »

If babs stays breech I wonder would it be an option to try the ECV the day you're booked in for your section - still gives you a good chance at a normal birth and if it doesn't work then at least you know you tried everything.

Here are the UK recommendations for ECVs.

http://www.rcog.org.uk/files/rcog-corp/GTG20a14022011.pdf

Well ECV hasnt been mentioned so Im not really expecting it.

Advertisement