Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uni in Melbourne

Options
  • 26-05-2011 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭

Im moving to Melbourne in a months time and I am hoping to go to college.
    I already know my visa entitles me to go but I am wondering what qualifications you need or would you have to do an interview or test of some kind?

I will be a mature student if that makes any difference.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

God bless your finances, what do you intend on studying?

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭haydar

Paramedic Course. Bachelor of Health Science/Emergency Health

I know the price is big ($8900/ semester) but i plan on working the sh1t out of myself for a year and then getting a loan to pay the rest

No Im going on a state sponsorship visa with my girlfriend.

I was wondering is my leaving cert good enough?

Should be if your mature and have international fees to boot.

• Advertisement

Would you need PR to qualify for any sort of student loan?

Well that I could not say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

haydar wrote: »
    Would you need PR to qualify for any sort of student loan?

For HECS/HELP, yes. And you need to be PR for a while I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

I think you now need to be a citizen to gets Hecs now. I looked into it about 2 years ago. When I first came here you only needed PR.

Is state sponsored not conditional? As in its PR with conditions. like you have to reside in a sstate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

haydar

You need to bring a copy of your leaving certificate with you.

Look up VTAC - victorian tertiary applications centre - for how to apply for your course. Your leaving cert will have to be 'translated' into the australian equivalent and you get that done over here.

The best thing to do is speak to the admissions department at the university hosting the course you want to do, and speak to VTAC.

http://www.vtac.edu.au/

Both the uni admissions and VTAC will let you know how to go about applying.

They'll also explain how the university year runs (not the same as Ireland, it's not an October start).

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

ellaq wrote: »
    I think you now need to be a citizen to gets Hecs now. I looked into it about 2 years ago. When I first came here you only needed PR.

Wow, that's a kick in the teeth. Can you link to your source?

Edit: found it - http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/029C4517-3B98-44B6-8523-2282DE74A190/0/HECSHELPflyer2011.pdf

F&*^$*$&($^!!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/Main/Quickfind/PayingForYourStudiesHELPLoans/HECSHELP.htm

Australian citizen and Permanent Humanitarian Visa Holders.

As far as I read it other PR visa holders are not included. I decided not to do the course I wanted as it was too expensive so I didn't research further. There may be a way around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

I should have arrived by boat or raft!

Now you have it. Do not be deterred OP if you do find a way the Met ambulance guys here are pretty awesome. I do recall an Irish accent on a trainee in Moonee Ponds once.

The only condition is I have to stay in victoria for two years. Looks like il have to work hard for a year (or two) and then maybe get a loan from the bank.

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭kiwipower

Super competative course I believe.
    An Ozzie Cousin is doind it in Queensland. Just missed out on the points in his leaving cert equivelant for medicine which he really wanted!

Advertisement