Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What flies for Lough Eske Brown Trout?

Options
  • 26-05-2011 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

I have been invited for a weekends fishing on Lough Eske at the end of June/ beginning of July this year. I have done quite a bit of fly fishing over the years however it has almost exclusively been for rainbows with very little for browns bar for the odd trip to the Dodder and Bohernabreena.

My friend that has invited me to accompany him fishes with classical style wet flies however I do not have any similar flies in my collection which comprises boobies, lures, buzzers, nymphs and dries. Even my dry fly collection is severly limited to buzzer imitations.

So my query is will I be left curinsg my self for not tying some classical wets or am I as likely to catch on nymphs and buzzers as I am on a rainbow water?

If I was to tie flies for the trip what would people recommend? I have asked my friend what he catches on but unfortunately he does not know the names, merely providing me with a loose description.

Thanks for any assistance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Lough Eske is a salmon and sea trout fishery, much more so than a brownie lake. Get a licence and target the sea trout, if there has been rain there should be a good run of them up to the lake. Flies: Bibio, Black Pennell, Connemara Black, Silver Invicta, Peter Ross, Claret Bumble, Raymond, Silver Daddy, Clan Chief, Clan Chief Muddler will all take sea trout and the odd salmon too. Fish the outlet of the Lowerymore River (straight across the lake from the boat jetty), its a known lie for salmon (there is a shallow bar of gravel across the river mouth, fish outside this. Up the lake on the western shore is good for sea trout,as is the northern end where the river comes in (can't remember the name).
    Good luck and enjoy, its an absolutely beautiful fishery! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Buzzers and hares ears will work well but a green peter or a kate mclaren would be great. f you have some lures that are dark and palmered heavily they should work. Apparently in front of the hotel (way out but straight in front of it) is a good spot to make contact with char.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭thedavman009

Cheers for the replies, much appreciated.

To be honest I had not even considered the sea trout, I have never fished for them nor caught any but I presume standard trout tactis should suffice i.e. 10ft 6wt or should I go heavier?

ZZipy, when fishing the flies you mentioned should I retrieve or merely stay in touch as when buzzer fishing? I had a look at some of those flies and there is no way I am going to have the toime to tie a few of that lot up and I am definately missing some of the materials I would require. Must take a trip into Southside before heading up north and pick up a few. Cant remember the last time I actually bought a fly but I'm sure Dave will put me onto some successful patterns.

fontanalis, yes I have boxes of buzzers, GRHEs, PTNs, diawl backs, mini cormorants, damsels and many variants, they are predominantly what I fish with only reaching for a booby or lure if nothing is happening and boredom is beginning to set in. I come from a coarse fishing background so fishing static is what I am familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Cheers for the replies, much appreciated.

To be honest I had not even considered the sea trout, I have never fished for them nor caught any but I presume standard trout tactis should suffice i.e. 10ft 6wt or should I go heavier?

ZZipy, when fishing the flies you mentioned should I retrieve or merely stay in touch as when buzzer fishing? I had a look at some of those flies and there is no way I am going to have the toime to tie a few of that lot up and I am definately missing some of the materials I would require. Must take a trip into Southside before heading up north and pick up a few. Cant remember the last time I actually bought a fly but I'm sure Dave will put me onto some successful patterns.

fontanalis, yes I have boxes of buzzers, GRHEs, PTNs, diawl backs, mini cormorants, damsels and many variants, they are predominantly what I fish with only reaching for a booby or lure if nothing is happening and boredom is beginning to set in. I come from a coarse fishing background so fishing static is what I am familiar with.

10ft 6wt is fine, just fish a slightly heavier leader in case you hook a salmon, I'd go 8lbs straight through when fishing a lake like Eske.

Yes retrieve the flies, unless there's no wind you'll be drifting along and you strip the flies back and keep them moving, its not like buzzer fishing where you just keep in contact with the flies and fish them static.

You don't need all the flies I mentioned, but on their day they will all take sea trout and/or salmon. Start off with a cast of 3 flies, say a Clan Chief Muddler on top dropper, Bibio on middle dropper and Silver Invicta on the point. The muddler will often bring fish up who will then take one of the other flies.

Change flies if nothing is working, up or down a size depending on conditions. Also get in contact with Lindsay Clarke in IFI Ballyshannon, he'll give you good advice and up to date info on how the lake is fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭thedavman009

Thanks Zzipy, can't wait to give it a bash now!

• Advertisement
Advertisement