Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thundershirt and/or Anxiety Wrap

• 26-05-2011 4:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭

I popped into the vets earlier on and they had a new product for sale at reception, a Thundershirt. A vet nurse gave me a demonstration of it and one of the vets came out while we were talking, he's used it on a very stressed dog, and its really helped to calm them down. It was only €29, which sounds a lot, but if it works, well worth the money. I got one to try out on one of the rescue dogs, who suffers from seperation anxiety.

Has anyone ever used a Thundershirt, Anxiety Wrap or anything similar? The thinking behind it is that there is gentle pressure on the dog, which keeps them calm, think of swaddling on a baby.

This is a link to the Thundershirt website, and they give a 100% refund if you're not satisfied with the product. http://www.thundershirt.com/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Hahaha, I missed a business opportunity. I discovered years ago that a tight shirt has that effect on scared dogs and posted about it. You don't have to buy a *thundershirt*, just get a kids shirt and put it on the dog, as long as its tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

EGAR wrote: »
    Hahaha, I missed a business opportunity. I discovered years ago that a tight shirt has that effect on scared dogs and posted about it. You don't have to buy a *thundershirt*, just get a kids shirt and put it on the dog, as long as its tight.

I did think that, but some dogs don't like tight things going over the head. If you were anyway handy with a sewing machine though, it would be really easy to make something like this.

Polo shirts is the operative word, as they have buttons. I used them on Toughy who has had unreal fear of thunder. NOTHING worked on him until I put a shirt on him. Same with a couple of Staffies and an APBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Oh I saw them last week in Maxi (priced) Zoo and was wondering the same!! What caught my eye was the colour and material - I thought it'd be the prefect light 'jacket' to put on my guy eg on the way back from hyrdo or the beach if he was still wet! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

EGAR wrote: »
    Polo shirts is the operative word, as they have buttons. I used them on Toughy who has had unreal fear of thunder. NOTHING worked on him until I put a shirt on him. Same with a couple of Staffies and an APBT.

Did you find them tight enough around the torso, or did you have to put a band around that bit?

• Advertisement

You get poloshirts from baby size all the way up to adult. But with the Lurcher I actually sewed in a broad elastic band. Cheap to buy about 2 inches wide.

Advertisement