Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

council estates

Options
  • 26-05-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

hi can anyone give me advice. whats the most safe/ decent carlow town council estate iin the town, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Well I'm sure a lot people will say their own, they should know they live there. "most safe/decent" is extremely subjective, nowhere is immune even 'private' estates. You make it sound like a council estate is some sort of ambush zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

whatever, anyone else with some constructive help pls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

i think its an irrelevant question as if you are made an offer of tenancy by the Council you wont have chosen the house, they will offer you whatever is available and you wont have any control over where it is. Plus if you have two refusals you would be removed from the list

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bubz32

i understand why he is asking , its not to offend but simply to safeguard his family . i have lived on one estate after the other and each time it has been a terrible experience .and this is not to say every person on the estates were terrible , there can be beautiful estates and lovely people but for one bad egg that ruins it all. the fact you dont have a say in where you are put does not mean you cant gather information and prepare yourself for what might be ahead. myself and my husband are looking to move again and take our kids out of dublin and are trying to find the safest place or least troubled place we can as we want it to be a final move and to eventually buy our house.
    when you dont have the luxury of being able to buy your house in a preferred area all you can do is try your best to be prepared and know the place you will be moving too.
    im here too to ask about areas before the move, i know everywhere will have crime but where we are now , its certain familys that ruin the estate with there anti social behaviour and constant harrassment of the people who live here. tonight alone i watched them take a suspicious device away in the bomb disposal van and arrest one of the men . this sadly is not a rare occurence. we just want to raise our kids in a safer environment where these things are not part of the norm on a daily basis .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

bubz32 wrote: »
    i understand why he is asking , its not to offend but simply to safeguard his family . i have lived on one estate after the other and each time it has been a terrible experience .and this is not to say every person on the estates were terrible , there can be beautiful estates and lovely people but for one bad egg that ruins it all. the fact you dont have a say in where you are put does not mean you cant gather information and prepare yourself for what might be ahead. myself and my husband are looking to move again and take our kids out of dublin and are trying to find the safest place or least troubled place we can as we want it to be a final move and to eventually buy our house.
    when you dont have the luxury of being able to buy your house in a preferred area all you can do is try your best to be prepared and know the place you will be moving too.
    im here too to ask about areas before the move, i know everywhere will have crime but where we are now , its certain familys that ruin the estate with there anti social behaviour and constant harrassment of the people who live here. tonight alone i watched them take a suspicious device away in the bomb disposal van and arrest one of the men . this sadly is not a rare occurence. we just want to raise our kids in a safer environment where these things are not part of the norm on a daily basis .

If you intend to move into a council house elsewhere and ultimately buy that one then you might wanna check the t's and c's as the incremental purchase scheme is due to come into affect soon enough as far ad I remember which would mean you coukdnt buy the council house you are in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭DANNY22XX

its not were you live its how you live , ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

DANNY22XX wrote: »

and what happens if you live in fear! Where you live?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

DANNY22XX wrote: »

You can mind your own business and live quietly, not interfering with anybody. But if you live next door to scumbags, then trouble can come knocking on your door through no fault of your own.

The truth is that some estates are better places to live than others. I wouldn't fancy living in an estate with lots of anti-social behaviour going on.

It's not just council estates though that have problem tennants, it happens in lots of other places too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

I think the problems are going to be more who your immediate neighbours are & who is living behind you.

They are parts of John Sweeney that are grand and they are parts that are hell... This is probably true of every council estate in the country. I'm in a different council estate in the town (bought our home) - and they are are a few families in it that I would choose to live under a bridge than near them.

The strange part is that I live across the road from one of the most infamous families in Carlow - and they are grand people. I don't think any council estates per se should be avoided, but if possible check out who the neighbours will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭seedubya

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    I think the problems are going to be more who your immediate neighbours are & who is living behind you.

They are parts of John Sweeney that are grand and they are parts that are hell... This is probably true of every council estate in the country. I'm in a different council estate in the town (bought our home) - and they are are a few families in it that I would choose to live under a bridge than near them.

The strange part is that I live across the road from one of the most infamous families in Carlow - and they are grand people. I don't think any council estates per se should be avoided, but if possible check out who the neighbours will be.

There's a bit of sanity for you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement