Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping down--Maths

• 26-05-2011 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Ok lads
    So I've been doing honours maths for the 2 years now and I was told by my teacher today that I am genuinely borderline when it comes to passing the paper...I was always good at maths and its a kick in the n*ts to have to drop down but i think its best...:(
    what do you guys think??
    :confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭VW 1

Well I was in the same situation as yourself. I knew I wasnt going to be counting Irish towards points so I needed my maths result to be decent. I was borderline passing up to the mocks, in which I got 38. I could get a guaranteed 60 points with little effort at pass maths, but the same amount of points at higher level would take a LOT of study to get up to. For me I weighed up time spent studying maths to get the 60 points, versus the amount other subjects would have to suffer. I dropped down, got my 60, and got my college course by 10 points getting 450. Just weigh it up like that OP and see what conclusion you come to.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭chiloutus

VW 1 wrote: »
    Well I was in the same situation as yourself. I knew I wasnt going to be counting Irish towards points so I needed my maths result to be decent. I was borderline passing up to the mocks, in which I got 38. I could get a guaranteed 60 points with little effort at pass maths, but the same amount of points at higher level would take a LOT of study to get up to. For me I weighed up time spent studying maths to get the 60 points, versus the amount other subjects would have to suffer. I dropped down, got my 60, and got my college course by 10 points getting 450. Just weigh it up like that OP and see what conclusion you come to.

Exactly how I'm thinking...its just my ego is at me...ever since primary school its been "oh he loves maths, great at it" turns out I'm not...something about me getting one idea into my head and ceasing to drop it even though I've been presented with the right way to do things...or so my (brilliant) maths teacher told me today! On my last I decided I couldn't handle it anymore!

chiloutus wrote: »
    Exactly how I'm thinking...its just my ego is at me...ever since primary school its been "oh he loves maths, great at it" turns out I'm not...something about me getting one idea into my head and ceasing to drop it even though I've been presented with the right way to do things...or so my (brilliant) maths teacher told me today! On my last I decided I couldn't handle it anymore!

You have to put yourself first. Think, what do I need to get overall? How important to that overall total is maths? How many points do I need in maths? Do up what you need vs what you expect to get with higher maths and what you expect with ordainary maths.

Dont take the chance of not getting the college course you want just because your ego wants higher maths on your results slip. At the end of the day if you go to college and get a degree, unless it is a requirement, higher maths at lc level will have little impact on your actual CV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

VW 1 wrote: »
    For me I weighed up time spent studying maths to get the 60 points,

You can't be guaranteed an A1 if you drop down also the courses are not the same. Be careful!

NotExactly wrote: »
    You can't be guaranteed an A1 if you drop down also the courses are not the same. Be careful!

Im not quite saying that, just the time spent studying to get 60 points at pass level will be much less than the time spent studying to get 60 points at higher level, im my experience anyway, I cant speak for anyone else.

• Advertisement
Advertisement