Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Furminator - ok to use?

• 26-05-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, I was thinking of getting the furminator for my dog. He's a 5 y.o. large golden retriever. I was looking at it and saw mainly positive reviews, but some are not so positive. I'm wondering will it ruin his coat?. He is brushed with a normal brush weekly but sometimes the amount of hair that comes out is just unreal! He is going to get groomed shortly.
    I've heard it's good but I'm a bit apprehensive about using it in case it will ruin his coat (long hair).

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I've a 4 year old Newfoundland and use the furminator on her every couple of days with no troubles what so ever. Then go over her coat with a slicker brush for a nice finish

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭shelly_g

I have a Goldie and use it on him - its great and it cuts down the amount of hair in the house ... he doesnt mind been brushed with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I use one on my GR too and he seems to like It. I use the furminator, undercoat rake and a slicker. My guy swims every week and it loosens a lot of hair so once he's dry I brush him down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have one and using it on my collie atm she's moulting like mad. It helps but she moults so much the hair is never ending. It does thin out the coat though so wouldn't use it towards winter only use it to brush out an old winter coat.

Go sparingly at first with it at first and see how you go, I don't find there's any need to buy a large one, I bought the smallest one and it's fine for a small and medium dog and might take a little longer to brush a larger dog but it's not worth spending more on the larger brush I think anyway.

There's instructions with it so don't brush them like you would with a normal soft brush brush lightly over the coat and not near the skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Emoi

Anyone know if you have to use the shampoo with it for it to work properly or can you just use the brush??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I won't use a furminator because I don't like the fact that it actually cuts the hairs. Just my personal preference, but I think that people do need to know how to use them properly, I think they can damage the hair quite badly can't they, if used on a dirty coat?

I use an undercoat rake for my double coated breeds, and it does the job great. The one I have is a Mikki one, double pronged, and the prongs actually retract when you're brushing, and they swivel:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

It is not a BRUSH, just remember that. It is a deshedding tool to help remove undercoat when a dog is shedding, It is not to be used as a brush doing so may damage the dogs coat and blunt the razer in the fuminator. Also remember to use it extreamly gently, there is no need to pull fur off your dog and using it gently removes only the loose hairs which is what you want. Works best with short haired breeds but is effective enough on double coated, like my Pom and Malamute.

If you want to brush you dog then use a brush, if you want to remove fur when your dog is molting then the furminator is fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Guys you've lost me - I have two furminators for the cats, can't see any razor anywhere on them, and they don't cut the hair. They're like a nit comb with a long handle off the side. Yes, they're a deshedding tool, but what's this about razors and cutting the hair? Are we talking about the same tools?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Guys you've lost me - I have two furminators for the cats, can't see any razor anywhere on them, and they don't cut the hair. They're like a nit comb with a long handle off the side. Yes, they're a deshedding tool, but what's this about razors and cutting the hair? Are we talking about the same tools?

Furminators for dogs have blades in them, I imagined cat ones would too, maybe its different on the other side of the world?

Advertisement