Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Work Scheme

Options
  • 26-05-2011 4:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks
    We are having a wellness programme in work and I've been tasked with a few areas one of which is aimed at support for smokers who wish to quit/cut down (voluntary).

Would love to hear some suggestions on what people think would be a good idea to help. As a non-smoker I'll probably have suggestions that may be absolutely no use to smokers - I've asked smokers to sing up to the project team too.

We have access to some (ltd!) funds so was thinking about maybe packs with the Alan Carr book. Nicotine patches, gum, acupuncture vouchers, some HSE leaflets etc? Maybe some speakers?, diary blogs from people attempting to give up?

As I say would love to hear suggestions.

Thxs folks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Get a few Alan Carr books and share them.
    If your company has a health insurance group scheme they will send in a speaker to hold sessions on quitting smoking - the lady who came into my job from the VHI was excellent.

Do not provide patches, gum, inhalers, acupuncture etc. When a smoker decides to quit he/she needs to decide to get them. Providing them will do nothing and may even be counter-productive. Plus they're also medication so there are legal issues there.

Maybe get people in the job who've quit to talk about their experiences. Not sure about that one - everyone has a different method of quitting and no two people are the same. But it can't hurt.

Definitely get smokers to sign up. No non-smoker knows what this addiction is like so you need that perspective.

Fair play to you for doing this.

Advertisement