Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom outage for the last day : PPPoE fail

Options
  • 26-05-2011 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

Eircom broadband has been off for the last day or so with a router diagnostic test message of 'PPPoE fail'; it just came back there without my intervention. This happens on and off once every 3-4 months - is it exchange maintenance, upgrade work or what?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

jkforde wrote: »
    Eircom broadband has been off for the last day or so with a router diagnostic test message of 'PPPoE fail'; it just came back there without my intervention. This happens on and off once every 3-4 months - is it exchange maintenance, upgrade work or what?

Hi jkforde,

Thanks for your query. If you PM your home phone number, or eircom account number, I can look into this for you.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

it's a shared wifi with my landlord next door so I don't have the account no. - it was just a general enquiry as to why it would be happening. it's back now and it's fine, even a tad faster sometimes so that's why I thought it might have something to do with ongoing NGB upgrade work at the exchange (Galway City) (....btw, the router now says the DNS servers are vodafone?!)

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

jkforde wrote: »
    it's a shared wifi with my landlord next door so I don't have the account no. - it was just a general enquiry as to why it would be happening. it's back now and it's fine, even a tad faster sometimes so that's why I thought it might have something to do with ongoing NGB upgrade work at the exchange (Galway City) (....btw, the router now says the DNS servers are vodafone?!)

Hi jkforde,

Thanks for getting back to me. There's no apparent reason why the NGB upgrade on the exchanges should cause any Internet downtime. The process is part of a planned works nationwide. Testing has taken place and the NGB roll out has generally been fine; with very few reports of problems.

Technial Support would have to check your own broadband connection - sync and attainables in order to guage if there were any problems on the eircom network side.

It's possibly a good idea to test your own internal wiring setup first. Essentially this involves : * Disconnect everything from the phone line: phones, fax machine, Sky Digital TV, or any other equipment connected to the phone line which may interfere with the broadband connection. Remove the splitter and connect the modem directly to the main phone socket.

I've added eircom's basic settings below, if you need to make any changes. This includes eircom's DNS :

eircom basic Settings

Primary DNS:
    Secondary DNS:
    Incoming Mail Server:
    webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing Mail Server:
    mail1.eircom.net
    Mail Server Type:
    POP3
    more settings
    Basic Modem Config:
    Username: eircom@eircom.net
    Password: broadband1
    Encapsulation: PPPoE
    Multiplexing: LLC Based
    VPI: 8
    VCI: 35
    Webspace FTP Server:
    homepage.eircom.net
    FTP Server Port:
    Default Web Folder:
    public_html
    Default Web Page:
    index.html

Please also take a look at our Broadband Check below -

Broadband Checklist : http://bit.ly/cTw6pU

(If you have any problem opening the above website, please copy & paste the URL into your Internet browser address bar.)

If you need further assistance please call directly into Technical Support. They will do some further checks with you when you are on the phone ;-

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (lowcall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (Mon - Sun).

Let me know if I can help you further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

Advertisement