Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RAS Scheme Meath - Tenant handed in notice

Options
  • 26-05-2011 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭

Hi there

I have a 1 bed apt that I rent out via the RAS scheme with Meath County Council. My tenant has handed in his notice as he wants to go and live with his elderly parents.

I was onto the RAS scheme and they seem concerned about having to get a new tenant in, as am I my last tenant was a brilliant bloke he has really looked after the place.

My question is, if they can't get a new tenant in can they cancel the 5 year lease. I have read over my contract and I have just copped on some pages are missing from it, can somebody clarify this for me please while I await a fresh copy of my contract.

Found it very hard to get an answer from the lady in the ras she kept saying she would call me back next week :rolleyes:

Thanking you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭leviathon

Not sure about the differences in area but anyway as far as cork co.co go it works as follows :

If the tennant moves out for whatever reason the contract between you and the co.co stays in place. Even if they cannot find a tennant you will still receive rent. That's the good part.

The bad part is they will chose who to put in there, you won't have any control over it, and they could put anyone in there - so you may end up with a tennant nowhere near as nice, but hey that can happen in any case so wouldn't worry about it.

In short your contract still stands and you shouldn't lose out - it's the council's responsibility to find you a tennant and in the interim you get rent from the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Fiona

Thanks, I have a funny feeling they are trying to pull the wool over my eyes, when I get the contracts going to get my friend who is a solicitor to sit down and go through them with me. I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to this sort of stuff :o

It depends on the type of contract you have with the council. One option is as described, the other means your agreement ends with the tenancy.

If you get the full contract it should be fairly clear which type you have- no harm to get someone to look for you if you're not that knowledgeable yourself.

The first type of contract is an 'Availability Agreement', the second is 'Tenancy by Tenancy'.

Hope that helps.

The lady mentioned 'availablity agreement' on the phone to me today so I think that is the type that I have.

Then the council will have to honour the agreement until the expiry date- though they have the right to nominate a tenant of their choice when it becomes vacant

If that tenant does cause you any problems or breaches the tenancy agreement you have the normal landlord powers to issue warnings and serve notice, as under the tenancies acts.

• Advertisement

Interesting thanks for this. I think they are rightly pissed off the tenant wants to leave and I reckon they are trying to do what they can to get out of this agreement :rolleyes:

Advertisement