Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspicious man in Castletown Estate (Demense), Celbridge - beware

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I just had a search there, I assume the Liffey Champion don't have an online edition or anything like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

No they don't.. I can scan it when I'm home

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Cheers Tallon

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

Ugh this is so creeeepy!

Surely there is grounds for CCTV at the gates or even on the side of the church?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

while I think its correct that people take care when out and about I think we should remember that this Guy does not appear to have done anything other than look at pople and make 'tut tut' sounds; we do not know what the story actually is here.

people can get wound up over these kind of stories and put 2 + 2 together and get 5

this guy could end up being seen as something he is not (chinese whispers can take over) and even possibly threatened or attacked himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Riskymove wrote: »
    while I think its correct that people take care when out and about I think we should remember that this Guy does not appear to have done anything other than look at pople and make 'tut tut' sounds; we do not know what the story actually is here.

people can get wound up over these kind of stories and put 2 + 2 together and get 5

this guy could end up being seen as something he is not (chinese whispers can take over) and even possibly threatened or attacked himself

Why would he run from the guards if there was nothing to it? In fairness 2 + 2 = 4 in this case.

Why would he run from the guards if there was nothing to it?

who knows, he could, as someone suggested, be mentally ill

obviously it should be investigated by the Guards

I am just saying that these stories can get out of hand, particularly as its now in the local media (though I have not seen what spin is on the story yet)

Riskymove wrote: »

Mentally ill people can still be dangerous to the public, that is of course depending on what the condition is.

In fact he is most probably mentally ill, given the fact he has an affection for wearing the same outfit on his excursions. The fact he has his hoodie pulled around his eyes is the main point of danger in my opinion.
    If he just wanted to watch people run he could easily sit on the wall and appear to be taking a rest but instead he is hiding behind trees.

Celbridge has a great relationship with the wonderful members of st. Rapheals and I would hate this man to be setting back public opinion 40 years.

Mentally ill people can still be dangerous to the public, that is of course depending on what the condition is.

Celbridge has a great relationship with the wonderful members of st. Rapheals and I would hate this man to be setting back public opinion 40 years.

tbh this is the sort of stuff I am raising a note of caution about

in any event, imo, someone like this may actually be less of a danger as his manner is immediately 'suspicious' and people will react as they have done....a 'normal' looking person with bad intentions is a far worse danger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Mawg

Hi everyone, I read about this in the Liffey Champion today and had to come on here to see what people were saying about this guy and to share my own story.

During the summer, I'd say about five years back (before everything was fenced off), I used to go for walks frequently in the woods out the back of the house and also by the river and along the avenue with my friend.

The first time we noticed something strange was when we were out in the woods and sitting on a log, a man came along and sat about ten metres away from us on another log and just stared at us. I thought at the time he must have been tired and needed a break, but he stayed there staring at us until we left. I don't know if he realised we could see him.

The next time we encountered him we were out in the field in front of the house, lying in the grass (which was long at the time). We were lying there chatting away and this man stepped right over us, in the middle of the field, away from all the paths! Again, being naive, I assumed it must just have been someone walking about, until we got up about half an hour later and there he was, quite close to us, sitting in the grass on a camping chair staring at us! He had binoculars around his neck, so I suppose he could have been out to watch the planes flying into Weston, but my gut tells me otherwise. There was another group of young people close by and he seemed to have his eye on them too.

We saw him a couple more times out the back of the house after that, but the next time we had trouble with him we were out near one of the trees in front of the house when I noticed the outline of a man by a tree down towards the river. Having seen him with binoculars before I was uncomfortable being there in his line of vision, so we took a walk down by the river and sat in near the river where the bushes were heavy enough. My friend heard a noise while we were chatting and walked over to the bushes a bit away from us and sure enough there was paniced movement in the bush. We walked back to the path from the trail and met him head on as he came from the bush and he literally turned and ran away towards castletown gates. Since that incident we never saw him again.

I don't know if the man described here is the same fella that we encountered, but the man we saw was 40s-50s, so he sounds a bit older than this guy, about 6ft to 6'2 and physically fit looking. We were quite young at the time, so stupidly we didn't report him to the guards. I was working in a local shop for a while and some workmates knew who I was talking about when I told that story. He must be known around Celbridge.

It would be great if someone could get a photo of the guy so everyone would know what he looks like.

Moral of the story, be careful and absolutely don't go into the back forest on your own. If you are going walking in Castletown maybe bring a whistle or (drastic as it may sound) some pepper spray.

• Advertisement

Mawgs post just reminded me of a similar incident.
    My mum used to pick me up at the tiny car park out side the gates when I got off the bus from school (about 6 years ago).
    One day there was the guy sitting on a log with a six pack who would NOT STOP staring at me.
    I changed bus stop but it would indicate this guy is seriously dedicated for a while....

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Live4Ever

Thought I'd throw my 2 cents in...

So far there has been no reports of attacks, rapes etc?? Just loads of reports of this one guy who sounds ultra creepy. Sounds like he is:

1. Mentally ill
    2. A pedo
    3. Just a real creep

People have seen a similar guy going back as far as 6 years. So he is obviously local, and the stories would indicate he isn't violent (yet). All the same, it doesn't sound like its safe to be there alone, especially women.

I think he needs to be confronted, people have given chase but never caught him. If someone catches him it will be immediately obvious what his intentions are.

Creepy stuff all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 imscared

scary :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

it is scary when there is also reports of a weirdo up in tallaght attacking women on there own and breaking some girls jaw when she was out walking with her baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I've removed a couple of post that could possibly identify specific individuals. If you have relevant information - please contact the Gardaí. Do not identify indivuals on this thread.

Thanks,

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

@Lukichu123 - Your posts are neither helpful nor funny. Do not post in this thread again.

HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 westlifeforver

Has anybody else seen this man since that Thursday???

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Paul_501

You think he might post on boards... :confused:

Anything is posssibe he obviosly needs help :eek:

Ive heard somebody was arrested for this. Has anybody else heard this?

• Advertisement

Ive heard somebody was arrested for this. Has anybody else heard this?

hmm...arrested for what?

Is there an actual crime in these stories?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

according to the liffey champion this week a man has been arrested in castletown Demense in Celbridge ......... The man was arrested for acting suspicously in the same area ........

Thanks. Schester

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Any more news on this folks ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 miami15

Hi all,

A member of the gardai told me that this guy was arrested by Celbridge Gardai a few weeks back. After numerous complaints from members of public, plain clothes gardai made regular trips to Castletown and this guy was eventually caught. Turns out he was recently made redundant from his job in security and was living in the woods in Castletown. That's all I know as the Guards did not want to give too much details away, but its reassuring to know that he no longer resides in Castletown park!

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

miami15 wrote: »
    Hi all,

A member of the gardai told me that this guy was arrested by Celbridge Gardai a few weeks back. After numerous complaints from members of public, plain clothes gardai made regular trips to Castletown and this guy was eventually caught. Turns out he was recently made redundant from his job in security and was living in the woods in Castletown. That's all I know as the Guards did not want to give too much details away, but its reassuring to know that he no longer resides in Castletown park!

Fair play to the Guards. Gotta give credit where credit is due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Good to know someone was arrested for....wait, what crime did this person/s commit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Good to know someone was arrested for....wait, what crime did this person/s commit?

From reading it, he commited the crime of being unemployed and being down on luck.

The nimby's in the area can't have this and therefore rather than approach the person and talk to them, create this image of a monster who is "stalking people" and put the fear into others that the person "might" attack someone.

Unfortunately in the current climate there will be many like him. They can't pay the rent, they've left home and no-one will talk to them. Then they are labeled as pests.

And then we wonder why we have such a high suicde in this country. :(

Maybe, just maybe, some people reading this thread will see it the other way - how can we help this person, instead of how can we catch and jail this person.

He, like us, is human.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Tilt Gone

maxer68 wrote: »
    From reading it, he commited the crime of being unemployed and being down on luck.

The nimby's in the area can't have this and therefore rather than approach the person and talk to them, create this image of a monster who is "stalking people" and put the fear into others that the person "might" attack someone.

Unfortunately in the current climate there will be many like him. They can't pay the rent, they've left home and no-one will talk to them. Then they are labeled as pests.

And then we wonder why we have such a high suicde in this country. :(

Maybe, just maybe, some people reading this thread will see it the other way - how can we help this person, instead of how can we catch and jail this person.

He, like us, is human.

It was you wasn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Tilt Gone wrote: »
    It was you wasn't it?
    :D:D

Naw, but it is sad to see so many people finding things too hard and sometimes we just need to give benefit of the doubt before causing a unnecessary scare.

Sometimes a mention to a local priest or Vincent De Paul office would be more appropriate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement