Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suspicious man in Castletown Estate (Demense), Celbridge - beware

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

LOL Maxxer you bleeding heart do gooder.

Yeah approach the clearly dishevvelled, vagrant looking man skulking around a park for a chat.

That'll sort him out.

Its actually way more likely that him being brought in for questioning will lead to him getting somewhere rather than some randomer bringing him for a coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

People love a frenzy, they almost enjoy talking about stuff like this.
    "oh did you hear about the guy blah blah blah..."
    "yeah I was in the park one time and blah blah blah":rolleyes:

I feel sorry for this chap. Thats not to say I'd go and get him a coffee and offer a shoulder to cry on but he didn't do anything and you lot have been going on like he's some kind of jack the ripper.

Lets get real.

As for the do gooder. Suicide? No need to be so dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Been reading this thread with bemusement. There are some sad curtain-twitchers out there who really need to go get themselves some real problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

People love a frenzy, they almost enjoy talking about stuff like this.
    "oh did you hear about the guy blah blah blah..."
    "yeah I was in the park one time and blah blah blah":rolleyes:

I feel sorry for this chap. Thats not to say I'd go and get him a coffee and offer a shoulder to cry on but he didn't do anything and you lot have been going on like he's some kind of jack the ripper.

Lets get real.

As for the do gooder. Suicide? No need to be so dramatic.

All I was saying is trying looking at it from other angles and not just the dodgy attacker angle.

As for suicides - last year there were over 700 in this country. That's twice the level of death from car crashes and the vast majority were men.

Its a huge increase from 2007 when less than 400 were recorded - the underlying fator in the increase is the recession and people suddenly finding themselves unemployed.

Its quite real!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

maxer68 wrote: »
    All I was saying is trying looking at it from other angles and not just the dodgy attacker angle.

As for suicides - last year there were over 700 in this country. That's twice the level of death from car crashes and the vast majority were men.

Its a huge increase from 2007 when less than 400 were recorded - the underlying fator in the increase is the recession and people suddenly finding themselves unemployed.

Its quite real!

You don't have to tell me suicide is real in this country. I know very well it is. This is a thread about a homeless guy that people are being unfair about. I think bringing suicide into it is going too far. My opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,860 ✭✭✭RayCon

Sorry to burst people's humanitarian bubble but if we are to believe the background story on the person the Gardai questioned - "just an average Joe - down on his luck", why then did he only approach or attempt to approach women walking alone ? The woods are a big area - you could quite easily live rough, out of sight of the main roads and pathways, yet this person was hanging around shaded area's near main thoroughfares.

Was it even the same person ? ... The person I saw did not look homeless - he was wearing very clean clothes and did look to be acting very suspiciously. Would a homeless person be wearing very specific "jogging" clothing ?

Worth also noting that during this timeframe, 2 women walking alone in Tallaght parks were attacked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

RayCon wrote: »
    Sorry to burst people's humanitarian bubble but if we are to believe the background story on the person the Gardai questioned - "just an average Joe - down on his luck", why then did he only approach or attempt to approach women walking alone ? The woods are a big area - you could quite easily live rough, out of sight of the main roads and pathways, yet this person was hanging around shaded area's near main thoroughfares.

Was it even the same person ? ... The person I saw did not look homeless - he was wearing very clean clothes and did look to be acting very suspiciously. Would a homeless person be wearing very specific "jogging" clothing ?

Worth also noting that during this timeframe, 2 women walking alone in Tallaght parks were attacked.

I can't see anywhere in the thread that he approached anyone - just stared from a distance.

Is theer a uniform that homeless people muist wear?

All I'm saying that instead of so many people jumping to conclusions and having this person tried & found guilty before any real information is found out was ridiculous.

The OP was right in reporting it, but not in creating a scare story.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

maxer68 wrote: »
    I can't see anywhere in the thread that he approached anyone - just stared from a distance.

exactly, the facts have already been distorted to suit the scare story
    Raycon wrote:
    Would a homeless person be wearing very specific "jogging" clothing ?

er...a lot of people I see (begging or sleeping rough) wear tracksuit and hoodie type clothes
    Sorry to burst people's humanitarian bubble

I think you continue to miss the point, perhaps he was a threat, but there is no evidence that he was

it could be that there is some other reason (illness, homeless etc)

:confused:during the timeframe many people were probably attacked, threatened, killed etc.....is this guy repsonsible for everything now?

Riskymove and maxer68 , I think it's very easy for you both to take the moral high ground from the bravery of being out of range.
    The person I actually witnessed was acting suspiciously. He seemed to be acing with intent. He did not appear to be somebody "roughing it". When I say he was wearing jogging clothes , Im not talking about tracksuit bottoms, Im talking specific, figure hugging, base layer running bottoms with a light hoody and very new looking runners. He was not jogging yet very definitely dressed as a jogger. He remained in the same area for over a hour, watching women from behind bushes.

If the homeless therory is to be believed either that guy was out for a jog and came home to find he had been evicted :rolleyes: or he was dressed like that so he would not look out of the ordinary in an area widely used by walkers and joggers.

As for whether or not he "approached" somebody, look at the first sentence in lauralale3's post.

Maybe there were mental issues behind his behaviour, maybe something else ... all I know is that as a local "nimby" :rolleyes: Im glad the threat has been removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Riskymove and maxer68 , I think it's very easy for you both to take the moral high ground from the bravery of being out of range.
    The person I actually witnessed was acting suspiciously. He seemed to be acing with intent. He did not appear to be somebody "roughing it". When I say he was wearing jogging clothes , Im not talking about tracksuit bottoms, Im talking specific, figure hugging, base layer running bottoms with a light hoody and very new looking runners. He was not jogging yet very definitely dressed as a jogger. He remained in the same area for over a hour, watching women from behind bushes.

If the homeless therory is to be believed either that guy was out for a jog and came home to find he had been evicted :rolleyes: or he was dressed like that so he would not look out of the ordinary in an area widely used by walkers and joggers.

As for whether or not he "approached" somebody, look at the first sentence in lauralale3's post.

Maybe there were mental issues behind his behaviour, maybe something else ... all I know is that as a local "nimby" :rolleyes: Im glad the threat has been removed.

What the hell does 'with intent' mean? Be specific. Was here there to rape or murder people? Can you prove that.

A person can wear what they ****ing like and do what they like in a public park. That's why it's called a public park.

Like I said, some people need to find some real problems instead of manufacturing them for themselves. Sure give Joe Duffy a ring, I hear he does a great line in humouring the insane ramblings of the mentally unstable and housebound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I found that first post really creepy and while i see peoples point of view about him not approaching women or having done anythign wrong, the fact is a good few women had reported a man to the gardai where the women were beign stared at and intimidated by a lone man who was apparently hiding in the bushes and when confronted ran away.

End of the day it was the right thing to do bringing this to the attention of other people in the area and if that man was homeless and living in the park I hope being brought in by the gardai has put him in a more suitable location or even a homeless shelter which would be a good thing for the man in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

sigh...

its not about moral high ground and I think you are still missing my point

a man is acting suspicious to someone, they report it and it is investigated..I have no problem with that

I do have a problem with him being judged without any evidence by people who were not there, people deciding that "oh that is so and so", people linkin g him to disabled people in Rapheals' hospital or linking him to actual attacks on women elsewhere

gerrowadat wrote: »
    What the hell does 'with intent' mean?

Let me help you with that.

Intent : Something that is intended; an aim or purpose.
    gerrowadat wrote: »
    Sure give Joe Duffy a ring, I hear he does a great line in humouring the insane ramblings of the mentally unstable and housebound.

Yawn.

Riskymove wrote: »
    a man is acting suspicious to someone, they report it and it is investigated..I have no problem with that

Thats exactly what I did ....
    Riskymove wrote: »
    I do have a problem with him being judged without any evidence by people who were not there, people deciding that "oh that is so and so", people linkin g him to disabled people in Rapheals' hospital or linking him to actual attacks on women elsewhere

Thats exactly what I didn't ....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I think this has run it's course

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement