Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget PC upgrade

Options
  • 26-05-2011 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hey guys. My C2D is starting to show its age with The Witcher 2 and I think it's time I upgraded. I intend to use most of the parts of my current PC and only upgrade the cpu, motherboard and memory. I have an ATI 5770 GPU which should last me a while longer I think (correct me if I'm wrong). My PSU is 600W I believe and I don't think I need to upgrade it (again correct me if I'm wrong).

CPU: Everyone seems to be recommending the i5 2500K and it seems great. I'm probably not going to overclock it unless its safe and simple. Is it worth looking at a cheaper model since I'm not overclocking?

MoBo: I tend to buy boards in the €60-75 range that have all of the features I need. Again I don't plan to overclock, is there any reason to spend more than this?

Memory: 4GB of cheap whatever, RAM is ridiculously cheap these days. I think I need DDR3-1333 if I don't plan to overclock. The faster stuff is just for overclocking and top end CPUs right?

I'm hoping to spend somewhere between €250-300. Any advice/comments would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

Thordon wrote: »
    . I have an ATI 5770 GPU which should last me a while longer I think (correct me if I'm wrong). My PSU is 600W I believe and I don't think I need to upgrade it (again correct me if I'm wrong).

5770 is a decent mid range card, provided you PSU is a decent unit you'll be fine

CPU: Everyone seems to be recommending the i5 2500K and it seems great. I'm probably not going to overclock it unless its safe and simple. Is it worth looking at a cheaper model since I'm not overclocking?

No, i'd rather spend the few quid on the K model, its not that much more expensive and having the unlocked processor means you can always overclock in the future.

MoBo: I tend to buy boards in the €60-75 range that have all of the features I need. Again I don't plan to overclock, is there any reason to spend more than this?

I wouldn't bother with a very high end motherboard, but not seriously cheap either, i'd say around €100 would be good

Memory: 4GB of cheap whatever, RAM is ridiculously cheap these days. I think I need DDR3-1333 if I don't plan to overclock. The faster stuff is just for overclocking and top end CPUs right?

1333 is fine, even if your overclocking, however 1600MHz seems to be the de facto standard for SB, and its the same price on most RAM sticks, something like the RipJawsX from G.Skill would be perfect

I'm hoping to spend somewhere between €250-300. Any advice/comments would be great.

Answers in bold, lemme know if you need any more help :)

Advertisement