Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Build Gaming Machine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

do you actaully need an i7? do you use anything that can benefit from HT?

even so, you're much better off with an i7 2600k CPU. newer tech, and faster, cheaper to boot. get a Z68 Motherboard to go with it. if you dont take advantage of the HT, get the i5 2500k instead.

I like the PSU choice, (i have the 600W version) i just couldnt reccomend it at that price. this is better value for less

do you actually need an 700/800W PSU? will you be doing CF or SLI in the future?

for a 1.2k budget, you've seriously skimmped on the GPU. look into squeezing an ATI 6950 2gb in to budget. get the reference design version and unlock the shaders.
    If you want to stick with Nvidia, the GTX 560Ti is the equivilent, but less opponent.

the Ram is DDR2, and a complete rippoff at that. you need DDR3 RAM ;)

Keyboards from HWVS are almost all german layout. look elsewhere online for 1.

look in the budget gaming sticky thread for a €45 version of Windows 7.

I'd post up a build, but HWVS is being completely slow and annoying and ive no patience left for it to load pages so slow. ill come back in a hour or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Hossbox

Thanks for the reply Tea_Bag!

I don't really need an i7 at the minute really, would I be better off getting an i5 and spending the money elsewhere?
    While I'm at it I probably don't need a 700W psu either...

Thanks for the DDR2 spot with the RAM :o

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Try this:

€175 - i5-2500k
    €100 - ASRock P67 Pro3
    €200 - XFX 6950
    €52 - SF Amazon 550W
    €65 - CM 690 II Lite
    €46 - Spinpoint F3 1TB
    €64 - 8GB Mushkin RAM
    €34 - Scythe Mugen 2 RevB
    €19 - Samsung DVD RW

Comes to €754.41 total and would blow away your first build. Just add on the peripherals and maybe an SSD as well if you want. If you want to Crossfire 6950s in the future, change the motherboard to the Extreme4 and the PSU to the 650W version.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Hossbox

Thanks deconduo

I think i'll go with the ASRock P67 Extreme4 and the 650W PSU

It there much advantage in getting the €225.49 - XFX 6950 2GB over the €200 - XFX 6950?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Its a slightly better card (2GB version) and you can unlock the 6970 shaders using a BIOS tweak, but apart from that not really. If you were going for a 2GB card I would actually get the MSI Twin Frozr:
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=43041&agid=1165

Its got an amazing cooler and good OC potential.

• Advertisement
Advertisement