Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1st calving heifers

• 26-05-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

iv a few 1st calving heifers which are calved now up to 8 wks.. can anyone recommend anything which would get them bulled again as soon as possible as id a few last year which took over 6 months to get back in calf...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

FORD 4000 wrote: »
    iv a few 1st calving heifers which are calved now up to 8 wks.. can anyone recommend anything which would get them bulled again as soon as possible as id a few last year which took over 6 months to get back in calf...

take the calves off them during the day if possible..terrible hassle i know but my ai guy tells me it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 962 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

you could inject them with a bulling injection,you should see signs of heat within 5 days . i have 2 first calfers myself, they calfed around paddys day and the first came bulling 2day. first time calfers can be very slow to come back in heat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

take the calves off them during the day if possible..terrible hassle i know but my ai guy tells me it works

once the calf gets to about 2 weeks, there shoudl be no prob in taking him off the cow and letting him in twice a day.

Terrible hasstle as said above but a proven way to get cows back in calf.

also, you'll be very surprised how quick you will train them to run in and out - both cow and calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FORD 4000

iv heard of the bulling injection giving problems with getting the cows in calf again if u dont when u dont give it the following years. is there any truth to this or is it another of them wifes tales to do with farming? did u ever use the bulling injection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

iv heard of the bulling injection giving problems with getting the cows in calf again if u dont when u dont give it the following years. is there any truth to this or is it another of them wifes tales to do with farming? did u ever use the bulling injection?
    i used the bulling injection and always had good results no problems getting cows back incalf the following year .

• Advertisement

same as never had a problem the following year

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FORD 4000

must try it this year. how soon after you give it does the cow come a bulling?

usually bout 3 to 5 days if they dont come bulling by day 11 inject again

must try it this year. how soon after you give it does the cow come a bulling?
    make sure you use a clean syringe and needle or it might not work and dont inject them on a wet day or if they are wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

Natural Nutrition do a 'Cow Fertility' Product bit expensive but i gave it to 9 latest calvers about 3 weeks after calving last year 8 of them held first service and it cut 8 weeks off the last calver:D

• Advertisement

essgee268 wrote: »
    Natural Nutrition do a 'Cow Fertility' Product bit expensive but i gave it to 9 latest calvers about 3 weeks after calving last year 8 of them held first service and it cut 8 weeks off the last calver:D
    were did you buy that and how much did it cost worth looking into.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭irishlad_85

The best job for the heifers will be to injest them all with Estrumate. Keep a good eye on them for the next 5 days and any u don't see bulling after that inject them again 11 days after the first injection. Those that get the second injection should be bulling within 5 days. That should sort them all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

http://natural-nutrition.eu/products/products.php

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭essgee268

google natural nutrition they are based in boyle but they have reps all over the 32 counties where are you from

essgee268 wrote: »
    google natural nutrition they are based in boyle but they have reps all over the 32 counties where are you from
    thanks i am from north monaghan.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement