Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glenomena 2011/2012 (Project Sort)

Options
  • 26-05-2011 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Ok so I've been living in Glenomena for a while and I've been reading the idea someone had about keeping postgrads together since UCD does not separate them.
    I know the place really well and so I know where the best places to go would be.
    I'm midway though degree so I've seen, by having fresher and postgrad room mates, what a disaster the mix can be, since I'm in the middle they both talked to me, and so I was thinking of a little project to prevent this happening as much as we can.

I'd suggest doing it through PM because posting the exact apt your going to be in on a public boards a really bad idea.

So for those who are interested I think we should start by putting some categories together then if anyones in those and they wanna band together PM me and I'll send you the best place suited for whatever your situation is.

So:

A) Freshers
    B) Postgrads
    C) People in the middle

could expand it more even to intrests and sports and hobbies haha but thats the basic jumping off point.

I think a little project like this would make for a better year for a lot of people, your gonna be paying a lot of money so you may as well live with people your gonna get on with and not be distracted by catty fighting or arguing with room mates.
    Anyone think this is a good idea?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Ellie1988

Sounds like a good idea to avoid problems to me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Glenomena2011

Hopefully it will work, applications are 8th June at 9am, for those thinking they won't bother heres what happens when you don't plan.

If your a fresher:

You wind up with a postgrad whos already been there and done that and the new experience you find so much fun is yesterdays news to them, your constant "whoo!!!" and your drunken mates and your inability to wash a ****ing plate because mammy always did that for you at home will just serve to piss them off, they'll pick up the phone to call the RAs to bust you every time you have people over, because while you just have to pass your exams they need to actually get decent grades and many of them hate the library so will want to study at home. Thus most of your sessions (or parties) will be busted up early.

Your music, whatever your watchin on your laptop, the sex your having, will cause them to bang on your wall and yell "shut up in there" a lot.

You won't have any interaction with them outside the context of complaining to you or about you, because they tend to be so focused on the course and getting out of here they don't care for the social stuff.

If your a postgrad:

Do you really want to listen to some 17/18 year old (or 5 of them and your the 6th in the apt...) who still thinks getting ****faced makes him a mad thing? Do you wanna listen to the sound of twenty 18 year olds in your living room getting drunk singing badly and shouting "whoo!" every 2 seconds 3-4 nights a week? Then 24 hours later (in some apts...6 months later...) the cans and bottles from that session remain strewn about the living room?

Do you wanna walk into your kitchen to find delf piling up like a mountain, expired food in the fridge, overflowing recyling because your fresher room mates don't know how to housekeep cos mammy always did that stuff?

Do you want to have trouble getting to sleep at 11:30 and then you finally get to sleep when the ****ers leave at midnight for town, only to be woken up again at 4am when they stumble back in shouting and roaring, their noise echoing thru the hall and the apts thin walls? With the 3-4 mates who are also staying over and hopped the gate?

Use this, its a good idea, and it will stop you all whinging next year ;)

Disclaimer: I realize the images there are a bit steriotypical, Ive met social postgrads and anti-social freshers...but steriotypes come from somewhere, the postgrads generally are done with getting pissed every night they're past that stage and getting ready for the real world, not saying they don't go out and have fun but just don't have that "stumble in front of traffic" style of drunkenness freshers do, freshers are having their first taste of real freedom, first time living away from home, and frankly, most of them handle that transition very very very badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Wow, that's very derogatory.

Few who've lived with that mix of students would say its anything but a very accurate portrayal of things.
    None of that is overblown, its factual report of what I've experienced since living here.
    If you find facts and reality derogatory then you're just looking to take offence.

Younger people just in the door and students at the end of their college experience have very different outlooks, desires and goals and should not be mixed together, I'm tryina illustrate that above by highlighting how these two groups seem to see each other.
    Last year I was caught between these two groups, since I was in the middle years, the two of them both complained to me instead of talking to each other, so I got the complaints from both perspectives, and that contrast is what I was trying to portray above, in an effort to motivate people who think they don't need to bother planning these things out in advance.

Theres people with far more vitriolic opinions who are quite bitter from their past experiences, and my goal heres to try to avoid that to some extent next time, leaving as many people happy with their living situation as possible.
    I'm simply tryina give people who havn't lived here before an accurate potrayal of what often happens when you put postgrads and freshers in the same apartment.

As a general guidline:

Block 9 best for Postgrads (further down and out of the way)

Freshers who plan on having friends over a lot should avoid Block 1 its right above the reception and if your too noisy you'll have party broken up more easily than if your elsewhere.

So as a general guide freshers 2-8 postgrads 9.

I can be more specific by pm but thats the general guideline.

Far more information is (apparently) gonna be on the online menu this time than was before, you can see the general profile of who has already booked into your apt, what year, gender etc the only problem with that is if your first to book there you won't know.

They may change their minds and separate out undergrads and postgrads, they seem to put all the internationals together, at least from certain courses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

Its the way you wrote it, in a sneering and belittling way, not the opinion itself that is so derogatory. And I'm a post graduate so take no personal offense to what you say/think about undergraduates. You just wrote it very rudely.

Anyway, I am not going to be living in Glenomena next year so I shall leave this thread.

You read into it what wasn't there, if your sensibilities are so fragile that you think that is rude you've been very sheltered.
    I'm tryina help people improve their living situation, I could have just left it and not bothered, so now that I have bothered I'd appreciate constructive PMs and posts, not quibbling over phraseology.
    It was phrased that way to give people who havn't lived with the other group an accurate portrayal of how the two end up seeing and speaking about each other after a few months, in order to motivate people who think theres no need to plan out who they live with to do that planning.

The portrayal of how those two groups of residents see each other was fact not opinion, thats the type of stuff they were both saying to me over the last two years, don't shoot the messenger, and if your not here to be constructive, don't post.

I'm tryina do something to help people improve their living situation (which doens't help me out, I'm doing it for other people and nobody forcing me to), not get into a debate on phraseology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Far more information is (apparently) gonna be on the online menu this time than was before, you can see the general profile of who has already booked into your apt, what year, gender etc the only problem with that is if your first to book there you won't know.

That information has been provided for a few years. You can see who has already booked the rooms in the apartment.

I agree with WeeBushy, your points are derogatory and far too general. Not every fresher will behave in the way you suggest, nor will every postgrad. Some postgrads are dirtier, lazier, host more parties etc than any first year. You could get your message across with less generalisations.

That information has been provided for a few years. You can see who has already booked the rooms in the apartment.

Not in the level of detail thats proposed now.
    I agree with WeeBushy, your points are derogatory and far too general. Not every fresher will behave in the way you suggest, nor will every postgrad.
    I didn't say every fresher/postgrad was that way, in fact I said the opposite, don't argue with points I didn't make.

The two groups don't mix well, the above stuff is what I've experienced living with this mix, and examples of the things both of them have complained to me about, not saying they're bad people, by any stretch, that was a portrayal of how they end up seeing each other after a few months in my experience, tension in close quarters often leads to opinions that are a bit over the top, thats what I was tryina portray to motivate people to plan ahead, wasn't an attack on anyone, but an honest attempt to paint a picture of how people can see each other after living in close quarters for ages and not getting along.
    I didn't pull this out of my ass, its based on experience, not stereotypes, but experience.

Since they don't seem to mix very well living together, I'm tryina remidy that as much as possible with this. Simple.

We could have a discussion about the topic, rather than wasting time discussing the discussion...it would be far more productive.

Not in the level of detail thats proposed now.

You already could find out the gender and year of who had booked into the room. So that is why I said you already could do so.

If you read my post and WeeBushy's again, our problem is with your tone, not the topic.

• Advertisement

I'm tryina present a realistic image of how these two groups conflict when they live together, by relaying their contrasting perspectives of each other as I saw it, and as they complained to me for the previous two years, the post above is the terms and tone used in these complaints.

Sugar coating it defeats the purpose of motivating people to plan ahead. If the tone upsets you but motivates people to plan ahead and avoids a nightmare living situation for them all year, then thats fine with me.
    Far more disastrous problems have arisen than the very mild stuff described above, and if that upsets you I'm sorry but its the way people are.

If your so fragile you get all knotted up over the tone of a random persons post, leave the thread alone.
    Then the tone won't bother you.

As for seeing the profile information, that has not been available for "a few years" since the online system at all only came in very recently, they used to book people in manually, and a more detailed profile is supposed to be being made available.

I'm tryina present a realistic image of how these two groups conflict when they live together, by relaying their contrasting perspectives of each other as I saw it, and as they complained to me for the previous two years, the post above is the terms and tone used in these complaints.

Sugar coating it defeats the purpose of motivating people to plan ahead. If the tone upsets you but motivates people to plan ahead and avoids a nightmare living situation for them all year, then thats fine with me.
    Far more disastrous problems have arisen than the very mild stuff described above, and if that upsets you I'm sorry but its the way people are.

If your so fragile you get all knotted up over the tone of a random persons post, leave the thread alone.
    Then the tone won't bother you.

As for seeing the profile information, that has not been available for "a few years" since the online system at all only came in very recently, they used to book people in manually, and a more detailed profile is supposed to be being made available.

A few things about this:

I lived in Glenomena in my final year and during my masters, so I have first hand experience. I don't need it "sugar coated" as I lived there and know what Glenomena is like. I have also lived in Merville, so I have experienced other accommodation in UCD as well. I disagree with some of what you say. I have also lived off campus and found it to be as bad, if not worse than the worst behaviour in on-campus residences. So putting people in groups based on what year they are in will not necessarily be indicative of their behaviour.

I'm not fragile and knotted up, I'm just trying to tell you that your approach is off-putting and confrontational. What you want to talk about is being hidden in stereotypical, derogatory views (even if you threw in a disclaimer about it not being everybody). I don't find they are an accurate representation of my experience in Glenomena.

Given I have lived in Glenomena in the past few years and have worked for UCD in the past year, I know what the system has been like. You could view who had already booked a room last year.

Your idea has some merit and some people may be interested, but if you changed your tone and were less dramatic it would come across better.

I lived in Glenomena in my final year and during my masters, so I have first hand experience. I don't need it "sugar coated" as I lived there and know what Glenomena is like. I have also lived in Merville, so I have experienced other accommodation in UCD as well. I disagree with some of what you say. I have also lived off campus and found it to be as bad, if not worse than the worst behaviour in on-campus residences. So putting people in groups based on what year they are in will not necessarily be indicative of their behaviour.

Its got nothing to do with what year their in, its maturity level.
    Most 18 year olds are inheritantly less mature than people in their late 20s, especially where drinks involved, and especially when they're without parents around for the first time ever, thats just life, getting pissy about it and ignoring that reality doens't make it go away, anyone who's lived with students knows this very basic reality
    But planning for it will mitigate some of the problems created by it.
    I don't find they are an accurate representation of my experience in Glenomena.
    I didn't say this was Glenomena. I said this can happen when you mix postgrads and first years in the same apartment.
    Not every apartment has this mix, not everyone with this mix has problems, but some do, it gets very tense for those people and shying away from this reality by worrying about tone is just stupid.
    Given I have lived in Glenomena in the past few years and have worked for UCD in the past year, I know what the system has been like. You could view who had already booked a room last year.
    For the 50th time, I know that, I'm saying other information may be made available such as courses people are in which would help people in a university that can be very isolating get to know each other better.

I've lived here too, and there were problems with this mix of people, fact. You not personally experiencing something doesn't mean it does not happen.
    Your idea has some merit and some people may be interested, but if you changed your tone and were less dramatic it would come across better.
    If hadn't wasted the thread discussing the discussion it might have been a good idea, yeh.

Advertisement