Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy a smart phone. A few questions.

Options
  • 26-05-2011 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭

First off, data usage.
    I've been shopping around, and eMobile seems to off the most @ 15GB for €64 monthly.
    Everyone else is giving 1 or 2GB for around the same price.

How much do people use, on average, on their smart phones?
    Do I need 15GB, or will 1 or 2 do?

My usage? No idea, because I've never had one of these. However, it would probably be connected to my own wifi 90% of the time.

Let's say that I'm on a train and am watching some streaming video for a few hours. A few episodes of a tv show for example.
    Am I looking at the same usage rate as on my pc, or is it lower on a smart phone because it's going to a phone, and the phone has a lower resolution rate than my pc?
    Probably a stupid question, but I just had to ask.

Operating System.
    I'm not going to go with Apple because of the trouble with flash.
    Android, Windows, or other?

Signal strength for internet usage.
    North Kildare and West Dublin. Possibly Dublin city. Maybe a trip to Westport, Mayo by train.

Make.
    HTC, Samsung, Nokia?

Not too worried about call costs. I'm Billy no-mates.
    The main concern is browsing usage. I know that the likes of boards uses little or nothing. I'm more concerned about youtube, google video and the likes.

Oh yeah, a good processor and memory would be nice too.

Poll in about 5 minutes.

Click on the applicable options, please. 32 votes

Samsung
    0%
    HTC
    12%
    PogMoThoinangel01clackssrsly78 4 votes
    Nokia
    25%
    Venom[Deleted User]seanybikerThe Real B-mannevaeh-2die-4amdaley28gollywogKxiii 8 votes
    Other make
    6%
    Samson1I_am_red 2 votes
    o2 (data)
    3%
    jay93 1 vote
    3 mobile (data)
    0%
    Vodafone (data)
    12%
    angel01clacksKxiiiI_am_red 4 votes
    eMobile (data)
    9%
    seanybikerSamson1srsly78 3 votes
    Meteor (data)
    3%
    jay93 1 vote
    o2 (coverage)
    0%
    3 mobile (coverage)
    0%
    Vodafone (coverage)
    12%
    angel01clacksKxiiiI_am_red 4 votes
    eMobile (coverage)
    9%
    VenomseanybikerPogMoThoin 3 votes
    Meteor (coverage)
    3%
    jay93 1 vote
    Other. Please post in the thread. Thanks.
    3%
    The Real B-man 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

No Tesco in the poll?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

I was not aware that Tesco did smart phones.
    Sell me on them.

Edit: Oh yeah. I'd like to add that I'm not really interested in a bitchfest over how good your phone/plan is.
    Just looking for facts. Thanks.

Second edit: I didn't mean the first to be insulting to anyone. It's just that sometimes people have tendencies to be overly prideful of their purchases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

I'm only after signing up with Three, already had a phone so SIM only package.

Is as follows:

Unlimited data (fair usage is 15 gig afaik)
    Free 3 to three calls
    Free calls to Irish landlines
    350 Felxiunits (1 flexiunit =1min talktime or 2xtext messages)
    Free Bitbuzz wi-fi (not sure why you'd need it as you have unlimited data)
    Free tethering, you can use your phone as a wifi access point for your laptop or any other device (others charge for this)

And last but not least it's only a 30 day rolling contract.

All for the grand sum of €30 each month.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Vodafone (coverage)
    HTC desire hd on three.

Love the phone built in satnav, 8meg camera and a nice big screen.

The 1gb data seems plenty for my mobile use, checking email, boards and a small bit of YouTube. If you want to watch tv shows on the phone you'd be as well download them at home and stick them on memory card. Streaming them would use as much data as if your at your pc.

Cheers, lads.

Zohan, how much did the phone cost you?
    I did see that one provider had 30 days for €20. Can't remember which one.

What's your signal like?

Kxiii, What's the internal memory, and what's the external memory capacity (storage, not RAM)?

How much are you paying per month?
    Not gonna ask who your SP is because we're not in the same area, so signal strength is going to be different.

• Advertisement

Vodafone (coverage)
    The phone has a 1ghz processor, with 1.5gb internal memory and it came with an 8gb SD card. Can take up to 32gb card.

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_desire_hd-3468.php

I'm on flex max classic at €40pm got it before the all you can eat data plan.

How much to buy?
    It looks good.

Vodafone (coverage)
    Its about six months ago I bought it so can't remember exactly but somewhere around €175 might be gone down since then.

Terry wrote: »
    Zohan, how much did the phone cost you?
    I did see that one provider had 30 days for €20. Can't remember which one.

What's your signal like?

I have an iPhone 4, to be honest the flash isn't a problem, I don't think you'd miss it. Plus there's an app called Frash that will allow you to play flash, works on jailbroken phones only but it only takes 5min to jailbreak the phone.

02 have €20 for 150 minutes, 150 texts and 250mb of data. I tried out their data add-on for a month (750mb was €10) and I used around 250mb, that was with fairly light usage and hardly any YouTube vids, to be honest it was mostly Facebook and boards and the odd Googlemaps and some personal email.

The coverage with three is great, better than 02 where I live, that was one thing that I was worried about.

Will you be carrying a laptop or netbook with you if you head off away from home? The tethering with three is great and it's very fast connection, you can't do that with 02.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭nevaeh-2die-4

Nokia
    has anyone got the htc incredible S,

what do you think?

im thinking of getting it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Have you considered windows phone 7? I just got a phone running windows phone 7 yesterday and I find it to be more polished and have a better UI than android ( I had a HTC phone on android 2.2)

Only bad thing I can find about it is the lack off apps but Id imagine it will get the same level of support as more people move over to the platform.

Have a look at this thread over in BA.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056263837

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

eMobile (coverage)
    TheZohan wrote: »
    I have an iPhone 4, to be honest the flash isn't a problem, I don't think you'd miss it

For some, my wife doesn't miss it, for me its a big deal. Being forced to use itunes is enough of a reason to avoid an iphone, itunes on windows is terrible.

Vodafone (coverage)

The Desire S is only really a face lift for the original Desire, but the Sensation specs look kinda impressive with that dual core 1.2ghz processor. Although in saying that I've not notice any problem with the processor in the Hd.

Are any of the networks carrying the Sensation yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

If you've got broadband +wifi at home, you won't come anywhere near 15Gb mobile usage in a month. 5Gb would be seriously heavy use, I get by fine with 1Gbyte, but I don't watch movies.

If you're using your mobile to provide internet access to your laptop, though, you're going to need the 15Gbyte limit.

Advertisement