Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drilled thru alarm cable

Options
  • 26-05-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

now my alarm is not working. the control panel is flashing error and saying contact engeineer. it was alarm wire coming from window box. was putting up curtain rails.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

You have damaged the cable and this is the reason it wont set and is asking you to contact an engineer to fix the problem.

If you can make the hole bigger you can joint the cable back together to fix this problem. Just join green to green red to red and so on. This should clear the fault and allow you use the alarm again.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

That sort of a join could be very tight & may not last
    Is this a drylined or solid wall?
    If its drylined this is what I would recommend as a permanant solution.
    Make a hole 6 - 12 inches above the damage (Carefull not to damage the cable behind. )
    This will give you plenty to work with on the good cable. Now pop a hole at the top of the window just deep enough to get behind the plaster. Fish a new lenght of cable from there upto the good cable & join colour to colour. Either surface mount a junction box or pleace in block connectors & tape up well and bury into the hole you made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 MCnoFlow

Please solder all joints especially if being buried.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

+1 that's always good practice.
    If it's going to be hidden by the curtain I would use a junction box. That way it's always accessible.

Advertisement