Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone bring an iphone over?

Options
  • 26-05-2011 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to buy an iphone soon, However i'm hitting Melbourne in a few months.. Now I'll probably get pay as you go and was wondering has anyone brought one over from home, had it unlocked and stuck an aussie sim card in it? Any problems?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My friend did for the exact same thing, but he had to ring his phone company and get them to unlock it, he had to then sync with iTunes and it was unlocked

Aussie sim worked fine,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I brought mine with me and it works 100% fine with an Aussie sim. It wasn't a factory unlock though, It was a jailbreak/unlock.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Feelgood wrote: »
    I brought mine with me and it works 100% fine with an Aussie sim. It wasn't a factory unlock though, It was a jailbreak/unlock.

Super. It a bit more expensive to run over there on pay as you go? Whats the internet charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Super. It a bit more expensive to run over there on pay as you go? Whats the internet charge?

Its actually pretty decent. I'm with Vodafone out here but their 3G network is absolutely crap.

For a $29 precap you get:

$150 Vodafone to Vodafone Credit
    $150 All other networks
    500MB Data

So essentially you get $300 worth of credit with 500mb data for $29!.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

how much is 500mb worth on the iphone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 MusicTech2010

Ya Vodafone 3G isn't the best. On the $49 a month. Data is meant to be capped at 3GB but for some reason I can download way more and not use up any data credit? Brought my unlocked iPhone 3G with me when I moved over. Anyone else getting way more data than they should?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 cianor

For my usage I find the Prepaid rates from Telstra (many people will agree that Telstra have the best 3G Network in Oz) are great.

For $30 a month, I get $220 worth of calls and texts and 400MB of Data. That normally is enough data for me, but if I did need more I would buy an extra 700MB for $20 - which comes out of your 30$, so it is not costing anything extra. There are loads of extras available to suit most needs.

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/prepaid/prepaid-offers/

http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/prepaid/extras.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

I got the iPhone and got it unlocked while here. Bit of a pain as I had to ring home a few times to sort stuff out with the company but all works well now.

I'm with 'Yes' Optus and they seem to have the best deal with $30 you get $300 credit, unlimited texts till June and 500MB. Though I am burning through the 500MB very fast as it's my only internet when away from the library.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Feelgood wrote: »
    So essentially you get $300 worth of credit with 500mb data for $29!.
    Actually you get $29 worth of calls, but clever marketing has created this idea that you are getting more than you pay for.;) The actual effect of these 'caps' is that it's nigh impossible to compare value for money across operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

ballooba wrote: »
    Actually you get $29 worth of calls, but clever marketing has created this idea that you are getting more than you pay for.;) The actual effect of these 'caps' is that it's nigh impossible to compare value for money across operators.

Could you explain how? Seems to be taking credit from my 300 balance whenever I text home. I'll see were my data comes from once the allowance runs out

• Advertisement

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Could you explain how? Seems to be taking credit from my 300 balance whenever I text home. I'll see were my data comes from once the allowance runs out
    Did you pay $300 for it? Does/would anyone pay $300 for it? What makes it "worth" $300?;)

Ideally the phone companies should not be allowed use the dollar symbol or word when referring to these caps. They should be called "credits" or something similar. They are not dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ideally the phone companies should be allowed use the dollar symbol or word when referring to these caps. They should be called "credits" or something similar. They are not dollars.

That makes no sense.

2nd EDIT: Fixed that. Thanks.:o
    mandrake04 wrote: »
    That makes no sense.
    It makes more sense than claiming that $29 is worth $300.

EDIT: Choice agrees that the arbitrary dollar values should be scrapped and replaced with airtime minutes (at least with respect to postpaid plans).
    http://www.choice.com.au/reviews-and-tests/technology/phones-and-mobile-devices/mobile-phones/capped-mobile-phones-plans.aspx

How much is $20 of non-cap credit worth then?

$20. Just because you get a lot more for $29 means nothing. $20 is $20. $29 is $29.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

$20. Just because you get a lot more for $29 means nothing. $20 is $20. $29 is $29.

this sounds all very confusing :confused:

Did you pay $300 for it? Does/would anyone pay $300 for it? What makes it "worth" $300?;)

Ideally the phone companies should not be allowed use the dollar symbol or word when referring to these caps. They should be called "credits" or something similar. They are not dollars.

That link is really only for paid contract though, if you are pre-paid then you are always in control of your spend

In 4approx years I never went near the total of a $49 cap
    I used to switch between a $29 cap (which i would use) and a $49 cap

this sounds all very confusing :confused:
    It's intentionally confusing. Have a look at the link above. Obfuscation (my word) is their chief marketing tool.

I'm not expecting people to agree with me, but the idea that $29 is worth $300 is patently ridiculous to me. Something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

I dont disagree with you

You are right its not worth $300 in that you cant buy $29 cap and sell it for $150 and claim you are offering it for 1/2 price.

But for most normal thinking people if they pay $29 they get a heap of usage whether its in $$ or credits does not matter, as long as the end result is the same for example:

If optus are offering $300 worth of credit on a $29 cap and charge $1 per/min to phone Ireland.

And Vodaphone are offering $600 worth of credit on a $29 cap and charge $2 per/min to phone Ireland.

as long as you are able to do the maths whats the difference?

as long as you are able to do the maths whats the difference?
    Because you don't use your phone exclusively for one type of call or SMS. I haven't sat down to analyse my bills and compare providers. Choice has and they found it near impossible. This is intentional on the behalf of the phone companies.

Most people wouldn't put that much research into buying a house. Big companies prey on people's laziness and complacency to rip them off. It's in a similar vein to the unit pricing in supermarkets. Bigger pack = more expensive, it's counter intuitive and hence highly profitable.

• Advertisement

Sounds like you have it all sussed out!!!

Maybe you should start your own network and offer $28 worth of credit for $28 and undercut the rest.

Sounds like you have it all sussed out!!!

Maybe you should start your own network and offer $28 worth of credit for $28 and undercut the rest.
    I don't like being ripped off. Australia is the equivalent of rip-off Ireland five years ago, except worse. If you don't pay attention, you get screwed.

I digress though. You for one would seem to agree with my original point that $29 credit is not 'worth' $300.

I don't like being ripped off. Australia is the equivalent of rip-off Ireland five years ago, except worse..

Mod lads back on track, we're not having a rip off Ireland/Australia discussion on a thread about iPhones. The caps may not have $300 worth of calls but they still give you a lot of minutes and texts.

I don't like being ripped off. Australia is the equivalent of rip-off Ireland five years ago, except worse. If you don't pay attention, you get screwed.

I digress though. You for one would seem to agree with my original point that $29 credit is not 'worth' $300.

Well I do agree with the core of what you are saying, but I do think you dug yourself into a big hole with your explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Just wondering if any1 knows any pros and cons to the following choice I'm confronted with.

I'm currently bill pay with an iPhone 3G on o2. Which I am going to keep and put a Irish pay as you go sim card in while In Australia. Now despite being due an upgrade, am I rite in saying that o2 are not going to give me an iPhone 4 at a reduced rate unless I start a new contract? And then unlock it for use with an Australia sim card!

So my 3 choices. Buy a pay as you go iPhone 4 from o2.
    Buy an iPhone 4 from apple direct. 600 euro.
    Or wait till a get to Australia and get an iPhone 4 direct from a mobile phone provider such as vodafone.

I'm leaning towards the second option. If any1 has a reason to or otherwise buy from apple please let me know.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

Half thinking of looking into buying an iphone here before I go.
    I presume you can you buy micro sims by themselves over in any phone shop I decide on going with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 fergalevo

NoelAPM wrote: »
    Just wondering if any1 knows any pros and cons to the following choice I'm confronted with.

I'm currently bill pay with an iPhone 3G on o2. Which I am going to keep and put a Irish pay as you go sim card in while In Australia. Now despite being due an upgrade, am I rite in saying that o2 are not going to give me an iPhone 4 at a reduced rate unless I start a new contract? And then unlock it for use with an Australia sim card!

Or wait till a get to Australia and get an iPhone 4 direct from a mobile phone provider such as vodafone.

I'm leaning towards the second option. If any1 has a reason to or otherwise buy from apple please let me know.

Thank you.

I would also like to know this my contract with O2 is nearly up and I'm entitled to an iPhone 4 but do I have to sign another contract to get one from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

I haven't had a chance to go into them yet in the store. But after looking through o2's website I'm about 99% sure they won't give out an iphone 4 as an upgrade without starting a 24 moth contract. Perhaps a 18 month is also available.

I have an upgrade in July. Which I probilly won't be able to use. Unless they give me an iPhone 3G or 3GS for very cheap without starting a new contract. Which would replace my now battered and bruised 3G.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Cupcake.

NoelAPM wrote: »

Hi NoelAPM - I'm considering the exact same choices but very indecisive! A friend of mine went with option 2 and it worked out okay for her but her main reason for paying the €600 was to save hassle of unlocking etc.

A part of me is tempted to do the same but then again its €600 versus alot less (in the short term anyway) if one was to go with option 3.
    If you don't mind could you let me know what you go for! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Joe Gt

Why does it have to be an iPhone ? see too many people wanting them ,but have little or no clue what the doy , its more a status thing with people too . "Mr cool has an iPhone so I had to get one "
    Plenty of great phones that do more than iPhones and can be got for half the price

Advertisement