Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noisy Pipes

Options
  • 26-05-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi,
    I live in one of the duplexs in Charlesland, and each time we use our cold water tap, washing machine or dishwasher there is a very load rythmic banging coming from the pipes. I've contacted the management company about it, because I wasn't sure if it was an issue for the whole block of duplexs, but they said it's our issue.

I'm just looking for advice really if anyone knows about that kind of thing. Does it sound like I need a plumber?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Are you new to Charlesland? Like a noise that wasn't there before happening or just just think the pipes are loud?

I can always hear the people's above taps and toilet flush noises bit oet uses to them a long time ago!

EDIT: Re read a banging noise. May be a pump burning out or something

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Mullie

I've the exact same problem in a 2-bed townhouse. Its known as 'water hammer'. Its driving me nuts!
    'Water hammer commonly occurs when a valve is closed suddenly at an end of a pipeline system, and a pressure wave propagates in the pipe. It may also be known as hydraulic shock.
    This pressure wave can cause major problems, from noise and vibration to pipe collapse.'

I've had awful trouble trying to fix it. I've read that its caused as a result of the pipe not being supported within the wall. Still in the process of cutting through plasterboard to track it down and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Two Boys

Fi Fi wrote: »
    Hi,
    I live in one of the duplexs in Charlesland, and each time we use our cold water tap, washing machine or dishwasher there is a very load rythmic banging coming from the pipes. I've contacted the management company about it, because I wasn't sure if it was an issue for the whole block of duplexs, but they said it's our issue.

I'm just looking for advice really if anyone knows about that kind of thing. Does it sound like I need a plumber?

Thanks in advance.

We have the same issue, it is when you use the shower, the noise, which is horendous, comes from the boiler in hotpress which unfortunatly is beside the smaller room which is an obvious nursery!!
    I have just got used to it by now but it is ridiculous.
    If anyopne has a solution I would be very interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Mullie wrote: »
    I've the exact same problem in a 2-bed townhouse. Its known as 'water hammer'. Its driving me nuts!
    'Water hammer commonly occurs when a valve is closed suddenly at an end of a pipeline system, and a pressure wave propagates in the pipe. It may also be known as hydraulic shock.
    This pressure wave can cause major problems, from noise and vibration to pipe collapse.'

I've had awful trouble trying to fix it. I've read that its caused as a result of the pipe not being supported within the wall. Still in the process of cutting through plasterboard to track it down and fix it.

Check your attic. We had water hammer once and the plumber sorted it in two minutes: there was a box in the attic sitting on an exposed length of pipe coming from the water tank. Move box - problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

Two Boys wrote: »
    We have the same issue, it is when you use the shower, the noise, which is horendous, comes from the boiler in hotpress which unfortunatly is beside the smaller room which is an obvious nursery!!
    I have just got used to it by now but it is ridiculous.
    If anyopne has a solution I would be very interested.

THis is not water hammer, this is the electric pump which creates the water pressure for your shower.

THey are very loud and ours was also hooked up to the upstairs taps so even if you just wanted to wash your hands it would go on, driving us nuts. We had a plumber change the set-up so it would only go on for showers -- there is enough pressure without it for the basin taps.

You can also have an electric switch fitted so it only goes on when you want it to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Fi Fi

Thanks a million for the advise. I think it's the water hammer issue. I've lived in Charleland for ages so am well used to the noise from the shower. I'll have a look in the attic. Other than that, can anyone recommend a plumber?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

THis is not water hammer, this is the electric pump which creates the water pressure for your shower.

THey are very loud and ours was also hooked up to the upstairs taps so even if you just wanted to wash your hands it would go on, driving us nuts. We had a plumber change the set-up so it would only go on for showers -- there is enough pressure without it for the basin taps.

You can also have an electric switch fitted so it only goes on when you want it to.

Yeah, mine only comes on when the shower is on also. There should also be a switch in your circuit box in the hallway where you can turn the shower pump off altogether, although the pressure is very poor when you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭lakeroad

Fi Fi wrote: »
    Thanks a million for the advise. I think it's the water hammer issue. I've lived in Charleland for ages so am well used to the noise from the shower. I'll have a look in the attic. Other than that, can anyone recommend a plumber?
    I had the same issue. Its caused by your main tank in your attic being filled and when it gets near to its fill level the ballcock begins to bounce and vibrate as it opens and closes causing the banging noise. I replaced my ballcock with a copper equilibrium ballcock with a copper float. All sorted in 10 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

As Mullie said, the pipes need to be fixed in place. If that doesn't slove the proplem, there could be an airlock in one of the valves. If it only occurs when the water installations in kicthen are used, I'd check if the Mains stop-cock under the sink is fully open - a slight airlock may be there and the water is squeezing rapidly by air creating the hammer sound.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 DAFYDD

Try Tom on 0857343413. He should be able to resolve it.
    Absolutely brilliant, saved us a fortune by fixing the shower pump instead of us having to replace it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement