Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinea Pig (Wild?) in my back garden

• 26-05-2011 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi there,

We have, what I believe is a guinea pig in our back garden. It is very hard to get a good look at it because it only comes out at night. I know this is not normal for a GP but this is what is happening.

None of our neighbours are missing one, I have called around.
    I have rang the DSPCA and they are not interested, the local pet shops isn't either. My husband wants to 'sort' the issue out next week if I cant find a solution or home..

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Its a rat ;),a happy rat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 CIfebe

No it definitely not a rat...no tail and fatter feet. Shiny fur..just his noes seems to be a bit pointer..

Thats Nose!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Maybe ask some of the rescues for the loan of a cat trap, Im not sure but I think there may be special ones for kittens as a regular one may need more weight to set it off.

It sounds as though it's a dumped/released pet hence why noone says they are missing one from your area.

Could it be a hedgehog either actually? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Did you get a good look at it?

• Advertisement

Could contact these guys either? http://www.neas.ie/ I know guinea pigs aren't exactly exotic but I don't think there are any specific guinea pig rescues in ireland. If there not able to take it off you they may be able to offer advice for catching him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

CIfebe wrote: »
    We have, what I believe is a guinea pig in our back garden. It is very hard to get a good look at it because it only comes out at night. My husband wants to 'sort' the issue out.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

I suggest ye husband grow up. What does he think he'll be enhancing about himself by some 'macho ~ Man the Great Hunter / Protector of Family' crap in 'sorting out' a single, small, displaced rodent? Jeezuss! :rolleyes:

Some people are just so far out of touch. I'm a professional Pest Controller. I look at this situation and think; It's supposedly a Guinea Pig. There's one of it. It's hard even to see and only ventures out at night.

Guinea Pigs are noted for doing What harm? Carrying What diseases? Why do Anything about this unobtrusive creature which is doing absolutely no harm?

I suggest he crack open a can. Put his feet up in front of a good film. And forget about little furry things that creep about the back garden at night.

Ditch wrote: »
    I suggest ye husband grow up. What does he think he'll be enhancing about himself by some 'macho ~ Man the Great Hunter / Protector of Family' crap in 'sorting out' a single, small, displaced rodent? Jeezuss! :rolleyes:

Some people are just so far out of touch. I'm a professional Pest Controller. I look at this situation and think; It's supposedly a Guinea Pig. There's one of it. It's hard even to see and only ventures out at night.

Guinea Pigs are noted for doing What harm? Carrying What diseases? Why do Anything about this unobtrusive creature which is doing absolutely no harm?

I suggest he crack open a can. Put his feet up in front of a good film. And forget about little furry things that creep about the back garden at night.

Except for the fact that guinea pigs aren't exactly native to Ireland so the wee thing will probably die of starvation/cold/heat/predators. I agree that if her husband 'dealing with it' means what I think it means then yes that is wrong, but I do think the OP is right to try and catch it and either rehome it or return it to it's rightful owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

This is very odd, how is the guinea surviving? what is he/she eating? Maybe try to keep it as a pet, put up signs in your area as it may have escaped from the hutch and if not rehome it.
    http://irishguineapigs.findtalk.net/f15-rehoming this forum could be useful, some people offer rehoming if you dont want to keep the guinea pig yourself or cant find any owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Guinea pigs are not rodents!
    They are cavies and if this is indeed a guinea pig then it will be easy enough to catch.
    You need to catch him they like to hide in over grown areas but aren’t that quick on their feet so you should be able to catch him place a cardboard box over him or a towel to pick him up.
    Then bring him inside so he can’t escape again, use a cat carrier to house him until you can sort something out.

Guinea pigs are gentle (unless terrified by careless humans) animals, they are vegetarians and will eat mainly grass if out in a garden they won't damage the garden in any way. The only worry is the poor thing might eat a toxic plant, get caught by a cat or become ill or cold.

It's important to catch the animal first there's no use contacting anyone until you actually catch him. Once you have him feed him pulled grass from the lawn, unless you can get some hay, and safe veg like washed carrot, broccoli, bit of apple and provide him with a bottle of water, if you haven't got the bottles to hang on the cage then use a heavy ceramic bowl. Use newspaper as bedding and take him to a vet to be checked over.

Or to a rescue, go on to the irish guinea pig forum as mentioned..once you have caught him, and see if someone on there will take him.

@Ditch you need to do some more research on guinea pigs lol they don't only venture out at night in fact most guineas sleep soundly throughout the night just waking now and then to stuff their faces.

There are some regular rescues that take in guineas OP so there's bound to be somewhere to place him. Hubby needs to be told (if it is a guinea pig) that they are harmless and sweet and strictly pets not some rambling rodent that's going to eat the neighbours babies lol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

CIfebe wrote: »
    No it definitely not a rat...no tail and fatter feet. Shiny fur..just his noes seems to be a bit pointer..

Shiny fur and pointy nose doesn't sound like a guinea-pig. Have you had a better look at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

@Ditch you need to do some more research on guinea pigs lol they don't only venture out at night

;) I know. I was just quoting the OP.

This is certainly a strange case though, isn't it? On the one hand, it doesn't add up to Guinea Pig ~ like, where's the mention of it making those incredible noises they make?

And yet; What in blazes else is it? Dunno. If I could get down there with my cage traps, we'd find out.

Just as an aside; I too like GP's. I've even fantasised about having a free range colony of them. Can ye imagine anything more fantastic than looking out at a little herd of GP's, munching their way across the grassland? :D Mental!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Lol Sigma my 2 are very flaming quick. I was doing a quick cage clean the other day thought as it was a quick change i'd leave them in cage while i did it and one decided to pop over the side and run around the room ending up behind the wall unit, only red pepper would entice it out.

Back to op leave fresh veg or fruit out near the house and see if it'll come close enough for a proper look.

Ah yeh they move quick but when you consider the guinea is out in the garden and people can take longer strides it should be easy to catch one.
    Am dying to know now if the op caught the critter and whether it is a guinea or not now.

It is a HEDGEHOG!!

Thanks for all your advise, particularly Zaperyzy who recommended www.neas.ie who were very helpful. They were going to take it tomorrow morning...however, my friendly neighbours came over to catch it tonight and discovered it was a hedgehog and they took him/her.

So it is a happy ending!!

Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Is there a reason why it has to be moved away from your garden? Hedgehogs do no harm, and actually are beneficial if you're a gardener, keeping the snail and slug population down.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CiaranP

Hi CIfebe,
    Your hedgehog is now in my Mum's wild back garden down the road, plenty of snails, slugs and occasional cat food. When she got a new wall built a few years back, she asked for a gap to be left for the hedgehogs!
    I remember them there 40+years ago - great to know they're still around in surburbia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Hedgehogs are beneficial to have. These guys have territories. Did you check its gender in case it has babies nearby? They can travel a bit and can climb walls and even swim!

Glad to hear the mystery is solved. Technically it is illegal to move them/interfere with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CiaranP

good point Doctor Evil - though I'm not an expert, this one did not appear to be a nursing female, and as the op wanted it taken out of the enclosed garden, it seemed the best option.
    It's now got a home nearby and shouldn't be any territorial problems.
    CP

• Advertisement

lol well they are similar in a lot of ways I guess but good it's sorted. Although it's a pity to of moved him in one way he could of been feeding babies but at least he should be safe and well fed in the new garden but if he or she does wander back in (you never know) just let him potter about. They are harmless and a protected species and as said will clear out snails etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Why would ya move a hedgehog in fairness? They're harmless and protected. Also on the guinea pig thing, there used to be a poster here called 'guineapigrescue'. For future reference:)

Advertisement