Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which phone to get nokia n8 or htc desire s /htc desire hd

Options
  • 26-05-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭

I have always had nokia phones and Im now due an upgrade.My options are the nokia n8 or htc desire s ( maybe pay a bit extra for the htc desire hd if I needed to) I use my phone a lot for email and internet. good quality phone calls are important. also I need a phone that has a good calender that show events in task view and also on the front of the phone.

any suggestions or comments are welcome/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Nokia abandoning the N8 and moving to windows might influence your decision. Buy a phone with a future.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Here we go again...

Symbian will be supported "until at least 2016". This is from the CEO of the company, interviewed a couple of days ago in China Video here.
    The move to Windows Phone 7 is really a non-issue until Nokia's Windows Phone handsets appear (December/January), and you can decide to buy them or not. The current WP7 is really for early adopters, and is not something I'd recommend for everyday use. The next software update is a good step, but it'll need another one after that before it can match the function of the other players in the market.

@kala85 : N8 wins on call quality (especially handsfree), signal and battery life; the Desire wins on calendar ease-of-use (convincingly, if you use Google Calendar) and the built-in internet browser. N8 may have a better calendar than the Desire, but it's very fiddly to use, and the Nokia's built-in browser is poor.

I've an N8 myself, but I'd recommend the Desire to you. SGS2 is going to be very expensive...

By the way, have you considered something like the (upcoming) Nokia E6, or a Blackberry? If you do a lot of e-mailing, touchscreen really sucks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

srsly78 wrote: »
    Nokia abandoning the N8 and moving to windows might influence your decision. Buy a phone with a future.

What does that mean? A phone will still work as a phone regardless.

The main problem with smart phones, is that they stop OS updates after a while. AFAIK that happens with all phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭kala85

does the calender on the desire show up on the front of the phone with fortcoming appointments?

also what about radio on the phones?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Surprised no-one has mentioned the N8's stand out feature, the exceptionally good 12 megapixel camera, with Carl Zeiss lens and xenon flash, which takes great stills and video. The N8 also has a HDMI port, so you can display your photos and video directly on your TV.

ca
    n u edit and open word documents on n8 like i can on the e71 phones. Also can u edit the documents in htc phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

If you like the N8 i would hold of a few weeks and wait for the X7

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Surprised no-one has mentioned the N8's stand out feature, the exceptionally good 12 megapixel camera, with Carl Zeiss lens and xenon flash, which takes great stills and video. The N8 also has a HDMI port, so you can display your photos and video directly on your TV.

How often would anyone want to use those features? AFAIS people use phone cameras to share photos on facebook and that on any major occasion that they will use a proper camera.

It's all about the Apps these days.

AFAIS people use phone cameras to share photos on facebook and that on any major occasion that they will use a proper camera.
    But the camera in N8 is not just good because it has more megapixels, it's good because it has high-quality optics and a big sensor. Even when you reduce the photos down to Facebook-size, the contrast, dynamic range and colour are still there.

And there's no comparison between xenon and LED flashes for your typical mobile photograph: a group of people around a table in a pub/nightclub.

To put it simply, the N8 is a proper camera, not just a phone camera. The image quality is a match for many of point&shoot cameras on the market, and you always have it on you. All it lacks is optical zoom.

Anyway, the OP didn't put a big emphasis on the camera, just the calendar and internet; on those points, the Android handsets are currently better - the X7 (and E6) will have Symbian Anna, with a much-improved calendar, browser and email; all current N8s will get this software update too, but "when" is at the whim of the operators...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

How often would anyone want to use those features? AFAIS people use phone cameras to share photos on facebook and that on any major occasion that they will use a proper camera.

It's all about the Apps these days.

Personally I use the camera on my phones a lot. I know a good few people who do the same. I also use mine do grab info from documents, notices a lot. Which the lack of autofocus on many camera is such a pain.

I do agree though that apps are important, and OVI store is dire. But for every good app theres about 1000 rubbish ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

I checked the customer reviews on the vodafone site for the N8 and there are some dodgy comments there. Seems like some people have had problems with phone freezing, dropping calls and various others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

I've never had a problem with the N8 dropping calls, but I do hit my face off the hold button often enough due to the way I hold the phone. My house is in a bit of a Meteor blackspot and the N8 is better than any other phone in my house as regards call quality.

can u lock the screen on the N8 or htc while playing a video?

Can you edit word docs in the htc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

kala85 wrote: »

You can't on the N8, don't know about the HTC . . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭WebGeek

I've tried the HD and liked it more because of it's build quality. Personally, I'm waiting to try the iPhone 5 before taking the plunge (could be a long wait!)

I'd wait till I see what the X7 has to offer. A lot of choice out there but I like the Desire HD.

when is the x7 due out and how much do u think it will cost

I haven't used the Nokia N8 but the HTC is a great phone and you won't be disapointed

• Advertisement

kala85 wrote: »
    Are you asking if it's possible to use a video as your screensaver/lock screen? If so, the answer's no; even if you could, it would murder your battery.

If you mean is it possible to lock the screen while you're watching something, the answer's still no for N8, but I can't see why you'd need to. You tap once, and the controls appear (video still stays playing), then you can tap again to hide them, or tap a control to use it.

X7 is on sale now (not pre-order) in UK direct from Nokia, 14 days delivery. If Irish networks are taking them, they'll appear towards the end of the month, I'd guess. I'd like a look at the E6 myself (that's still "pre-order")

Advertisement