Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New to Halo

Options
  • 26-05-2011 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I'm thinking of jumping into the Halo franchise but don't know which game to pick up first. Any suggestions? I played Halo on the original xbox(along time ago!) But never picked it up on the 360
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

If you'd prefer to play the games in the correct timeline just play reach, halo 1, 2, ODST and then halo 3. But it's purely up to yourself. I'd prefer to start at halo 1 and work my way up to reach, seeing all the improvements bungie made over the years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

and all the horrible mistakes! Halo 3 was good, but halo 2 was really fun online! a lot of glitches but still very fun! can't play it online anymore, so your stuck with halo 3.

Don't bother with ODST, get reach instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Well, it's up to himself, You can't make him get reach instead. Those "glitches" made the games fun, it gave the game purpose. I remember spending hours on end with friends online just exploring the halo 2 maps, getting outside the boundaries. You can still play halo 2 online btw, just not on xbox live. (try xbox connect or just get the pc version).

I tried to play the games in order of release recently, but having gotten accustomed to Halo 3 and Reach on the new engine, and after seeing how Halo 1 in particular and to a lesser extent halo 2 had aged, i skipped ahead quite often through both.

The first 2 games in particular are seriously showing their age now, not just in graphics, but in terms of how their innovation at the time has been taken over by some of the many clones of the genre. Halo 1, while a classic, is limited by comparison to many modern games, and halo 2, while improving on that, still suffers from many of the same issues, as well as last-gen graphics. That and fighing wave after wave of the flood sucks on the higher difficulties.

If i was you, i'd give 1 and in particular 2 a look, but spend much more time on H3 and Reach, and forget about playing them chronologically alltogether, that would be just headwrecking. Going from the advanced weapons, loadouts, graphics, AI, and everything else in reach back to the far more basic and MUCH easier Halo 1 just makes you bored with a game that while still a classic, has definitely aged. ODST is kind of hit and miss. Brilliant in parts but a snooze in others, but 3 and reach are modern classics with loads of really busy and well populated online lobbies, and both definitely deserve some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'd recommend you play Halo CE and Halo 2 on the PC rather then the Xbox, because you've a lot more graphics options to play with that, while neither game will look as good as H3 and Reach on the 360, allow a fairly reasonable standard of play. You can still play Halo 2 online via Live on the PC too, healthily populated and it supports the 360 gamepad as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭DaveTwenty7

The original Halo CE is being re-released in High Definition later this year

Advertisement