Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

slow milking heifer

• 26-05-2011 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Have a heifer calved about two months,she is very slow to leave the milk down.The row of cows would be finished and she would be still milking away.I wet her well before milking to soften the teats and pull her out a few times,but she is still very slow.Any advice?Have an instrument that you insert up the teat canal to widen the holes but dont want to be using this,only as a last resort.Any other ideas for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I have one of those too but no milk at all. I tried oxytocin injection from the vet. No withdrawl as it is a natural hormone and can be given just before putting on the cluster. Only costs a few euro too and should help.

The down side is it is addictive and should only be used for a few milkings. The woman in the shop told me about a guy who used it a lot on his cows and had loads of cows that just wouldnt let down milk after useing it for a few days and had to be weaned off slowly.

The cows were addicted:D. Just use it on the cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

5live wrote: »
    I have one of those too but no milk at all. I tried oxytocin injection from the vet. No withdrawl as it is a natural hormone and can be given just before putting on the cluster. Only costs a few euro too and should help.

The down side is it is addictive and should only be used for a few milkings. The woman in the shop told me about a guy who used it a lot on his cows and had loads of cows that just wouldnt let down milk after useing it for a few days and had to be weaned off slowly.

The cows were addicted:D. Just use it on the cows

Use it with another cue, like a handful of nuts, then keep cutting the dose, and giving the few nuts and the cow will associate nuts, oxytocin, milk let-down. QED.

Pavlovian logic.

It works too.

LC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

LostCovey wrote: »
    Use it with another cue, like a handful of nuts, then keep cutting the dose, and giving the few nuts and the cow will associate nuts, oxytocin, milk let-down. QED.

Pavlovian logic.

It works too.

LC
    Yeah the problem was she was letting milk down as soon as she entered the round and had nothing left for milking. I just gave 1.5 ccs for 2 days and now just put on the unit when she enters as that seems to be her trigger.

I was just wondering last night if the cow just had a small opening rather than a bad trigger for let down?

Advertisement