Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postal/Accomodation Address Wanted

Options
  • 26-05-2011 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi All,

Once again I am turning to the kindness of strangers to ask a question of you most lovely helpful people here in Galway.

I am having great difficulty getting any post delivered to where I live (and it is not in the middle of nowhere either) It is on a fairly busy road that An Post ride up and down in their vans. I have had words with the Sorting office up at Tuam Rd and fear I may be having some more with them.

In the meantime is there a reputable company in Galway that can offer an accomodation address for receiving post and keeping it safe until I can collect it. trying to get official docs through for things like car and bank and I am not allowed to use a PO Box as an official address, nor can I use my home address back in the country wher I used to live. Nor can my mumsie write to me and she is just dying to send me post!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Albie

PS - I think you are quite good drivers over here - bit slack with the indicators and a bit scary (well actually alot scary) on Roundabouts (especialy the one with the lights on as well) but otherwise you are all very polite drivers. I have started to enjoy driving again since I arrived here. I know I need to get out more..... :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

For the bank...

Are you setting up a new account or do you just need to change address for an existing account?

If it's for a new account they'll need proof of address (bills with your name etc) that won't be so easy to do!

I don't know of any company that does this. Do you know anyone here yourself to ask to have post sent to temporarily? what about sending it to your work address?

sorry can't be of more help but I've never heard of a place that provides a service like that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Why are you having difficulty getting post delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

There are 'virtual office' facilities available in Galway. You'll probably find them listed in the Golden pages. I think Grey Office Park is one such provider that offers that service. They are based beside Woodies DIY on the Headford Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

Eh, are you on Social Welfare by any chance :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Jamey wrote: »
    Eh, are you on Social Welfare by any chance :rolleyes:

LOL, I was waiting for it....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Something smells off about this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭KylieWyley

AlbionCat wrote: »
    Hi All,

Once again I am turning to the kindness of strangers to ask a question of you most lovely helpful people here in Galway.

I am having great difficulty getting any post delivered to where I live (and it is not in the middle of nowhere either) It is on a fairly busy road that An Post ride up and down in their vans. I have had words with the Sorting office up at Tuam Rd and fear I may be having some more with them.

In the meantime is there a reputable company in Galway that can offer an accomodation address for receiving post and keeping it safe until I can collect it. trying to get official docs through for things like car and bank and I am not allowed to use a PO Box as an official address, nor can I use my home address back in the country wher I used to live. Nor can my mumsie write to me and she is just dying to send me post!

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Albie

PS - I think you are quite good drivers over here - bit slack with the indicators and a bit scary (well actually alot scary) on Roundabouts (especialy the one with the lights on as well) but otherwise you are all very polite drivers. I have started to enjoy driving again since I arrived here. I know I need to get out more..... :)

how about... you mark out the area you live in on Google Maps and we'll tell you the correct address?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭AlbionCat

Hi All, thank you for your replies

The situation is I have just moved here from another country to take up a job. The bank account is open and receiving my wages just fine, but the address on my lease is not correct and despite the Sorting Office confirming what the correct address should be I still do not seem to be able to get my mail - including a bank card, official docs from the tax office etc., Docs I really do not want falling into the hands of some who has a nefarious mind and steal my identity for suspect and dodgy things.

If I knew some here I would ask them if I could use their address, but I am here, by myself and know no-one as yet. I would have the items delivered to work, but both the Revenue and Bank have said I am not allowed to have that as an official address.

I wish I knew what I can do to make the post office deliver. The house I live appears to have been here long before they built the area up, so it should be recognised and the Census people also paid me a visit so they knew I was here. I have spoken to my landlady and she said she will put through any post for me, but nothing has arrived so far.

Where I come from, nearly every property has a house number and a postcode which makes life a lot easier for getting mail. You do not have the same system in Ireland and I am just trying to negotiate my way around a system I not familiar with - hence the reason for asking your good selves for advice.

magentas - we have services like this for people like students or long term temp workers - offered in citties and such like. I did Google before I resorted to asking on here. Opened the bank account with a Lease document and it did not seem to be an issue at the time. Now I know different!!! Dreading moving house later in the year - first question to Landlord will be "Does An Post deliver here" not "How much the rent is"!!

Gingganggooley - I shall look them up - they sound like they offer a service I am after, so thank you most kindly.

snubbleste - I have no idea - if An Post ever tell me, I will let you know.

Jamey - why should being on Social Welfare mean that my post is not delivered - I do not understand???

Mikom - "Something smells off about this..... " off about what exactly? Me or the fact that An Post seem to be having great difficulty delivering my post ;)

Anyway - nothing like a good rumble with the Post Office to get me going for the coming week.

Thank you most kindly everyone.

XXX

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ahh, Ireland, home of official-dom that makes sense :rolleyes:

OP, welcome, I hope the culture shock's not too great. (My home country is only recently moving to the sort of post codes that you're used to. I was sceptical, until I worked on a conference registration desk last year and saw what magic post codes can do with long and difficult UK addresses.)

You're not going to get anywhere with the serviced offices. Apart from costing a fortune, they're doing to have the same problem as your work address in terms of not being acceptable to Revenue and the bank because you don't live at "Gray Office Park" etc.

Can I suggest some things for you to try to get this sorted:

1) Go to the Post Office, and send a registered letter to yourself. Make sure you keep a photocopy of the address as it's written on the envelope (need to take this before going to the post office). It will probably cost a fiver, but if it doesn't turn up after the tracking system says it's delivered, the tracking number gives you something concrete to talk to the sorting office about.

2) Try to order a pizza by phone, and see if the pizza delivery people can work out your address. If they can't then it *may* give you some insights into how else you address can be described.

3) Talk to the neighbours, to see if there are any secrets to getting mail delivered. Don't be too worried about the address on your lease - focus on what the common-usage address is.

4) Check how visible, and secure, the mailbox is. I did some door to door deliveries last year, and was quite surprised at the wide variety of options. Is there any chance that your house has an old mail slot somewhere that the postie is using because they're missing the right one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why are you having difficulty getting post delivered?

We are having a similar problem with those muppets down in the sorting office as well, An post have recently decided to not deliver post to our house as they have decided to use the old townland name when they updated their database (presumably something to do with postcodes).

The post has been delivered to this address for 40 years or more and after informing them that there was a business operating out of the address they said we should mail everyone to inform them of our new address at the very same address.

Have they bought some database that doesn't recognise two names for the one address, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, rant over

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

We are having a similar problem with those muppets down in the sorting office as well, An post have recently decided to not deliver post to our house as they have decided to use the old townland name when they updated their database (presumably something to do with postcodes).

The post has been delivered to this address for 40 years or more and after informing them that there was a business operating out of the address they said we should mail everyone to inform them of our new address at the very same address.

Have they bought some database that doesn't recognise two names for the one address, it wouldn't surprise me in the least, rant over

no postcodes in operation in galway,or outside of dublin for that matter,
    an post have to deliver to your address,provided that it is of course the correct address (an post does not define where your address is,or which townland it falls under) have a word with your postie,pull him in off the road for a chat even to find out whats going on,if he was your postman and isnt now he will know the reason for this..

op, i cant understand why you dont recieve post unless you live in a unregisterd flat or something,with no letterbox, if the address dosent exist then it cant be deliverd.

hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

barone wrote: »
    no postcodes in operation in galway,or outside of dublin for that matter,
    an post have to deliver to your address,provided that it is of course the correct address (an post does not define where your address is,or which townland it falls under) have a word with your postie,pull him in off the road for a chat even to find out whats going on,if he was your postman and isnt now he will know the reason for this..

Yes, theres no postcodes yet but they are in the pipeline and I am guessing that an Post are getting their postal database up to date for it's introduction.

If it's not our correct address well then why have an post delivered to it for the last few decades, thats the issue I have.

The problem occurs at the sorting office and is not with the postman, previously the automated machine sorted it into the correct section and it was delivered, it seems that now the machine doesn't recognise the address (because they changed it on the database) and it has to be manually sorted, we have been told that it depends who is manually sorting it in the Galway office. One guy knows what section to put it in and the other guy doesn't, they seem to alternate this as some post is days late coming with an unrecognised address on the envelope and a lot of the other post comes as normal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

cold you not organise to send your post to a hotel or something?

Advertisement