Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

connection between wlr and tipp fm

• 26-05-2011 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭

I am just curious about the connection between the above two radio stations.Pat Murphy used to be in wlr, now he is in tipp fm.Maria McCann was in wlr, then she moved to tipp, and then moved back.Nichola Beresford of wlr talks on ads on tipp fm too.Now a new girl Aoife Mc Grath who I heard on tippfm, is now on wlr.
    I know people are free to go where they like,but it seems only to be with these two stations. Then having said that I heard Roddy Cleere was on kclr.Yes I do have other things to do, but I have an over active mind:p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭larchielads

think shay searson is on tipp fm as well he was on wlr too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

The only connection is geography. Its easier to move from Tipp to Waterford than to Cavan.

WLR is decent for a local station, but its presenters can only work within the local circuit. They aren't good enough for RTÉ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

That's a bit harsh. You're not exactly allowed to spread your wings on WLR...or a lot of other advertisement reliant radio stations. And some of the DJS on RTE are dire and wouldn't be out of place on a hospital radio station.

In this day and age if you have a family to support it's not realistic to up and move to Dublin, especially when the money (unless you're Ryan tubridy) ain't great.

That's a bit harsh. You're not exactly allowed to spread your wings on WLR...or a lot of other advertisement reliant radio stations. And some of the DJS on RTE are dire and wouldn't be out of place on a hospital radio station.

In this day and age if you have a family to support it's not realistic to up and move to Dublin, especially when the money (unless you're Ryan tubridy) ain't great.

I wasn't really thinking of music DJs, more talk show people. There is a huge quality difference between Billy Mac and Ryan Tubridy/Ray D'Arcy.

There is someone decent on a Saturday or Sunday morning. He is young, and might move on to RTE if they want.

I remember back in the day everyone said Carrie Crowley was great. She was at the local level, but at a national level she did Morbegs and Eurovision.

I remember WLR had a good documentary about The Glass. It was a one off though. They tried to repeat it with something about Lourdes, and it was terrible. A documentary too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭jimmyw

think shay searson is on tipp fm as well he was on wlr too

Thats true, didnt think of him.Clooda (wrong spelling) Walsh I think her name is is not only on RTE but on the tv news and she used to be on WLR and sometimes fills in for Ian Noctor or Maria mcCann. They could have went to south east radio or KCLR too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

They are both radio stations!!!!
    What do I win?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

dayshah wrote: »
    I wasn't really thinking of music DJs, more talk show people. There is a huge quality difference between Billy Mac and Ryan Tubridy/Ray D'Arcy.

There is someone decent on a Saturday or Sunday morning. He is young, and might move on to RTE if they want.

I remember back in the day everyone said Carrie Crowley was great. She was at the local level, but at a national level she did Morbegs and Eurovision.

I remember WLR had a good documentary about The Glass. It was a one off though. They tried to repeat it with something about Lourdes, and it was terrible. A documentary too far.

Carre Crowely decided to focus on her acting career. She turned her back on tv/radio

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

jimmyw wrote: »
    I am just curious about the connection between the above two radio stations.Pat Murphy used to be in wlr, now he is in tipp fm.Maria McCann was in wlr, then she moved to tipp, and then moved back.Nichola Beresford of wlr talks on ads on tipp fm too.Now a new girl Aoife Mc Grath who I heard on tippfm, is now on wlr.
    I know people are free to go where they like,but it seems only to be with these two stations. Then having said that I heard Roddy Cleere was on kclr.Yes I do have other things to do, but I have an over active mind:p

People are free to come and go as they want. The jobs are advertised and i am sure many people applied for them. After the interview process i am sure they try and get the best person.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    People are free to come and go as they want. The jobs are advertised and i am sure many people applied for them. After the interview process i am sure they try and get the best person.

Not what I heard of Beat fm and WLR. Lets just say its not what you know.

Yep they sure are but thats not the issue.You would think they would be employed with other radio stations and media organisations, not just Tipp. I am not saying there is anything underhand, just why are they drawn to this station.It could well be that this station is the best and easier to get employed in as well.I was wondering if Wlr possibly half owns them or something along those lines, not saying anything is wrong.

• Advertisement

dayshah wrote: »
    Not what I heard of Beat fm and WLR. Lets just say its not what you know.

That's always been true...but sometimes, even if they know ya...you can still get shafted. John O Shea and Roddie Cleere two recent examples.

That's always been true...but sometimes, even if they know ya...you can still get shafted. John O Shea and Roddie Cleere two recent examples.

John o Shea is still there, isn't he?

His show finished up recently

He was filling in for Jeff Harris this evening I think and he is on one night a week I think also, could be wrong though:o

but they took his own show off him. He's living off scaps with them now

They are a bloody shocking bunch them:rolleyes:

His show finished up recently

Still does his Sunday evening show, Fills in for Kevin Casey on Gaelic Ground and has filled in for Geoff Harris when he is away or when he is filling in for one of the day time presenters.

Still does his Sunday evening show, Fills in for Kevin Casey on Gaelic Ground and has filled in for Geoff Harris when he is away or when he is filling in for one of the day time presenters.

In other words, a dogs body:rolleyes::p

Exactly. HIS show finished. That's the point I was making. They axed his programme that had a lot of loyal listeners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 vanman

if you are not part of a click at WLR you have no business being there,you are not wanted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Pity WLR dont take a few more from Tipp FM...Some awful presenters there.Diction is not part of the job it seems.How did they ever put a station together with the talent in Tipp????????:rolleyes:

DT100 wrote: »
    Pity WLR dont take a few more from Tipp FM...Some awful presenters there.Diction is not part of the job it seems.How did they ever put a station together with the talent in Tipp????????:rolleyes:

Tipp FM can keep some of the ones i heard.

Recently I was out of earshot off wlr and tuned into tipp fm instead. The Breakfast show was a joke. There was none of the banter you have between Timmy and Karen, Aoibhinn before than and Matt Keane etc. There was two presenters who all they were doing was shouting and people ringing them in and telling them where they were and what they were doing. I was waiting for someone to name some fellow that they were watching come out of some womans house, and get the poor fellow in trouble.

The current affairs programme was no better. While i beleive that the content of Deise Am drops a little when Billy McCarthy is not on air, what we get is a hell of a lot better to what was happening on tipp fm's equivelant of the show. It was like as if the presenter was sitting behind the mic waiting for people to ring in and what ever they came up with was the flow of the show.

Advertisement