Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L.A. Noire

• 26-05-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,703 ✭✭✭

Anyone played LA Noire yet? Good/bad??:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Big thread on it in game forum.
    I have it and really enjoyed it so far. Few little things I wouldn't be mad about but no game is perfect.

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72319867#post72319867

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,536 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

seanybiker wrote: »
    Bog thread on it in game forum.

shouldn't it be in the culchie forum instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Pretty good game I've found. Facial animation really is amazing and the game is fairly different to most out there in the fact that you have to work on both your own gut instinct and knowledge in solving cases and questioning people.

You do miss the GTA bit of running amuck in the city shooting stuff up etc but overall i think its worth a play.

Skerries wrote: »
    shouldn't it be in the culchie forum instead?

Aww my ninja edit failed

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Bobjims

Its a great game. You get really into each case like you would a story in a film. Its the first game Ive played that really gets you thinking about your decisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Bobjims wrote: »
    Its a great game. You get really into each case like you would a story in a film. Its the first game Ive played that really gets you thinking about your decisions.

I would pretty much agree with this poster. It's annoying when you get the questions wrong, but you can use an intuition point to rule out some of the answers. All in all it's a pretty sweet game.

I'm the worse investigator ever. I piss everyone off by mistake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

It a good story and the story will keep you interested. But the game play is very bland. It's more of an interactive animated movie with bad graphics rather than a computer game in the traditional sense.

Some things are extremely tedious. Examining a crime scene for example. You have to keep examine things until the music fades to let you know you're done with the crime scene. That means going around picking up bottles, cig butts, apples etc only for your character to say "nothing of interest here". Very annoying. Has made me switch it off a couple of times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

ah now, whatever you may say about how boring it may be, its graphics are the least of the game's problems, its a great looking game and the facial motion capture is a revolution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭DoubleBogey

Yeah the facial recognition is good but overall the game looks a bit naff. Have a look at the reflection on the bonnet. I've seen some blocky graphics before but that's just ridiculous. Audio for the VoiceOver is awful too. I just find it hard to get immersed. Really shows how dated the 360 is IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭cycocycle

I like it. The game mechanics are dated and it can get a bit repetitive but as the first step in a different direction Im impressed.
    seanybiker wrote: »
    I'm the worse investigator ever. I piss everyone off by mistake

Thank **** for IGN game guides or the xbox would be smashed by now!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I like it, played a few hours last night

I believe everyone, hey I do the same in real life:o

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭da gamer

ive only played a couple of hours of it but have to say its a great game. imo its up there with dead space 2 and portal 2 for game of the year. the graphics are some of the best ive seen and the cases really keep you interested

One thing that is starting to annoy me is when you get a call to respond to a crime, you have to drive for ages through the city just to get to it. And then you have to drive back just to keep going with your case. Im on the second disc now, still going well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

Yeah driving around is pretty boring. Especially downtown I find, Hollywood is a bit cooler :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

I though if you pressed Y that is made your partner drive therefore skipping the drive itself.

This is disabled in chases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Finished there on Friday. Have to say it's a mostly a great game. The facial animations are just staggering, and the environments, while not ground braking are amazing. A lot of people seem to complain that you lose out on the GTA elements, but this is not a GTA game. Just because it's Rockstar like....

A few gripes though:
    1. The Dialogue: Can be poor in parts, Phelps seems to get really pissed off with suspects at the drop of a hat. Also, (interested to know if anyone else found this) in some outdoor conversations, it sounds painfully like the characters are in a studio. As an example, I'll refer you to the Fallen Idol case, when you're at the scene, on a hill it sounds like they're indoors.

2. Character development:
    This is not against the ending, I get why he had to die and all that. But I generally found it hard to empathize with any of the characters, especially Phelps. I thought the fact that he had a family wasn't brought forward enough in the early part of the game, so when he lost everything, it was a definite "meh" situation.
    Though I must admit this was redeemed somewhat in the final few cases, especially when he threatens to shoot Roy Earl when Courtney dies.

3. Replay Value
    I'm on my second playthrough now, going for the achievement to get Five Stars in each case. However, I can't honestly see myself replaying the cases again. The fact that they don't branch in any significant way, other than the few where you have two suspects, means there's little value in the story. I mean, take GTA or Red Dead Redemption for example, the missions are so varied in these games that at least two playthroughs in and it's still enjoyable, I mean, I've completed the GTAIV story about 4 times and could still happily play it again.

I know I've criticised it a lot here, which may contradict the fact that I absolutely love the bloody game. :)

Sorry for the long post. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    One thing that is starting to annoy me is when you get a call to respond to a crime, you have to drive for ages through the city just to get to it. And then you have to drive back just to keep going with your case. Im on the second disc now, still going well.
    Yeah driving around is pretty boring. Especially downtown I find, Hollywood is a bit cooler :D

Get out of the car, press and Hold Y and your partner will do the driving which means you just skip to the destination (after any necessary dialogue has completed).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Just moved onto disc 3. I'm liking, rather than loving it. It's not without it's faults, but end of the day, it is just a game. I think some expected a little too much from the whole interrogation mechanics. The driving is far better than GTA, ok, not as much fun. The shoot outs/chases/fist fights are too short and more variation on the crime scenes would be great. I'm sure all will be fixed for #2.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    A few gripes though:
    1. The Dialogue: Can be poor in parts, Phelps seems to get really pissed off with suspects at the drop of a hat. Also, (interested to know if anyone else found this)

Have to agree with you here. It doesn't seem as realistic as it should.
    Get out of the car, press and Hold Y and your partner will do the driving which means you just skip to the destination

i know you can do that, but it's just the effort of actually getting out and running around to the other side, especially when your partner runs out in front of traffic.

• Advertisement

Have to agree with you here. It doesn't seem as realistic as it should.

Yeah, it's especially weird considering it's Rockstar, usually they get this type of stuff bang on.(I'm taking GTA and Red Dead as prime examples here.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

i know you can do that, but it's just the effort of actually getting out and running around to the other side, especially when your partner runs out in front of traffic.

Surely this small effort is nothing compared to driving for 10 Mins to the destination if it's annoying you to drive.

djkeogh wrote: »
    Surely this small effort is nothing compared to driving for 10 Mins to the destination if it's annoying you to drive.

Perhaps he's mistaking a video game with a DVD? What next? "Ugh, shooting this guy is too much effort, wish my partner would just do it, and why can't I be on rails so i dont have to direct him to walk."

:P :)

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Perhaps he's mistaking a video game with a DVD? What next? "Ugh, shooting this guy is too much effort, wish my partner would just do it, and why can't I be on rails so i dont have to direct him to walk."

:P :)

The point I was making was that it is annoying that it is nor smoother for your partner to get into the car. It takes ages and is frustrating. This should have been improved before the game was released. And my main point with this was when you have to go to a street crime it's always ages away, and I don't know if you can get your partner to drive as there are two destinations flagged on the map.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

The point I was making was that it is annoying that it is nor smoother for your partner to get into the car. It takes ages and is frustrating. This should have been improved before the game was released. And my main point with this was when you have to go to a street crime it's always ages away, and I don't know if you can get your partner to drive as there are two destinations flagged on the map.

You can get your partner to drive to a street crime, just mark it with the custom marker and do the usual...

falan wrote: »
    You can get your partner to drive to a street crime, just mark it with the custom marker and do the usual...

How did I not think of that...Nice one! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

The point I was making was that it is annoying that it is nor smoother for your partner to get into the car.
    Er, thats not the point you were making.

Walk near the car, hold down Y. Do you want me to come over to your house and do it for you?
    Some things are extremely tedious. Examining a crime scene for example. You have to keep examine things until the music fades to let you know you're done with the crime scene. That means going around picking up bottles, cig butts, apples etc only for your character to say "nothing of interest here". Very annoying. Has made me switch it off a couple of times.
    No, you dont have to pick up beer bottles and cigarettes to complete the crime scene, that would be stupid.

God, I remember when videogames were hard. Now they basically play themselves and people still complain

CiaranC wrote: »
    Er, thats not the point you were making.

Walk near the car, hold down Y. Do you want me to come over to your house and do it for you?

No, you dont have to pick up beer bottles and cigarettes to complete the crime scene, that would be stupid.

God, I remember when videogames were hard. Now they basically play themselves and people still complain

Go **** yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I was really thinking of buying this game, but the whole interrogation thing sounded tedious to me and put me off. I don't like the idea of having several different questions on your screen and having to go through them all to get information out of the criminal. I am a person who likes to get straight into the action of shooting, moving around etc.

Do people on here who've purchased/played it reckon it's still worth buying?

• Advertisement

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I was really thinking of buying this game, but the whole interrogation thing sounded tedious to me and put me off. I don't like the idea of having several different questions on your screen and having to go through them all to get information out of the criminal. I am a person who likes to get straight into the action of shooting, moving around etc.

Do people on here who've purchased/played it reckon it's still worth buying?

I bought the game, started playing it and really liked it. Still do, but I've kinda stopped playing since I got to disk 2. Dunno what it is about it but I spose after a while I just couldn't be assed looking for clues and interrogating, so reverted back to FIFA and COD and haven't really bothered putting LA Noire on again.

TBH id say you would know well after a few hours game play if its worth buying so if possible play a friends copy or rent it first. A little obvious I know but...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement