Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing A GSM set up

Options
  • 26-05-2011 11:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I want to get a GSM kit fitted to my existing HKC alarm. I've been told that the original alarm co. are the only ones that can do this as they have the engineers "code", otherwise I can fit a complete new panel at around 280euro plus GSM kit at about 200euro.
    The original alarm co. have quoted me 500 for GSM set up.
    Does this seem a bit pricey. Is there any cheaper option. Also I dont have a landline. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

nophd08 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I want to get a GSM kit fitted to my existing HKC alarm. I've been told that the original alarm co. are the only ones that can do this as they have the engineers "code", otherwise I can fit a complete new panel at around 280euro plus GSM kit at about 200euro.
    The original alarm co. have quoted me 500 for GSM set up.
    Does this seem a bit pricey. Is there any cheaper option. Also I dont have a landline. Thanks in advance.

Any alarm company can do this to your alarm system, it does not have to be the original installer. Yes the engineer code is needed but any engineer can get into your panel without it. If you have an 8/12 or the Securewave installed then the HKC GSM-P costs €320 to buy yourself. It sound like who ever gave you a price is just replacing the main board and putting a dialer not the HKC one on to your alarm. With the HKC GSM you would have remote access plus receive text alerts to 19 phones. It can also turn on/off lights, heating.

Do you know what type HKC panel you have installed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

altor wrote: »
    Any alarm company can do this to your alarm system, it does not have to be the original installer. Yes the engineer code is needed but any engineer can get into your panel without it. If you have an 8/12 or the Securewave installed then the HKC GSM-P costs €320 to buy yourself. It sound like who ever gave you a price is just replacing the main board and putting a dialer not the HKC one on to your alarm. With the HKC GSM you would have remote access plus receive text alerts to 19 phones. It can also turn on/off lights, heating.

Thanks for reply, Not sure what type, HKC securewatch written on keypad, installed about 9 years. I just want a text alert if my alarm goes off if I'm not around so I can alert a keyholder. Not sure if I would need the remote access.
    I already had an "engineer" attempt to unlock it but failed. Plan was to get a basic setup fitted but not by alarm co.
    Alarm co. want 100euro to reset engineer code.

nophd08 wrote: »
    Thanks for reply, Not sure what type, HKC securewatch written on keypad, installed about 9 years. I just want a text alert if my alarm goes off if I'm not around so I can alert a keyholder. Not sure if I would need the remote access.
    I already had an "engineer" attempt to unlock it but failed. Plan was to get a basic setup fitted but not by alarm co.
    Alarm co. want 100euro to reset engineer code.

It is more than likely a 6/10 installed. You could add one of these to the alarm to get a text if the alarm activates. Without defaulting the alarm you could connect it to the external bell to send the text when the alarm activates. Any good engineer should be able to get into your panel :D

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Michael_Myers

Hi - can you hook the HKC GSM-P up to a 6/10 ?

No, the GSM does not work with the 6/10.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

altor wrote: »

Are you saying it has relays in it? how are these wired in/out?
    Is this a low voltage output that controls a relay to operate the lights or heating?

Merch wrote: »
    Are you saying it has relays in it? how are these wired in/out?
    Is this a low voltage output that controls a relay to operate the lights or heating?

It has outputs that can be connected to relays that if switched by a text can control most appliances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

hmm sounds handy, I can see how that could be handy for the heating,

maybe a parallel circuit or even in series with the thermostat, maybe if I go into the plumbing forum they can tell me how to wire that into the programmer/wiring centre to switch on heating and override the thermostat.
    Interesting alright, can the signet europlex models do that?

I can also think of funny applications that might not work, well funny to me :)
    edit also I got a pm reply, cheers.

I sent you the diagram with how it is connected to the GSM. It might be easier than explaining it :D

Yes, they can control X-10 devices for different applications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 woodys

Hi, am looking to reprogram the phone unit on a 6/10, can you help, can not find a manual that shows the sequence?

• Advertisement

woodys wrote: »
    Hi, am looking to reprogram the phone unit on a 6/10, can you help, can not find a manual that shows the sequence?

What type phone unit have you got connected?

Advertisement