Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roller Jam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Roller Skates?

They'll never catch on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Very popular in the UK. Missus is mad to get back into doing this with her friends.

Good business idea to be fair. Low investment really. Wood floor, skates and protective gear. High margin I'd say.

Lads can go into the Karting, girls can go roller skating. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Was there something similar in the Stella years and years ago or is it my imagination playing up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

this, and A limerick Girls Roller derby team already in training a few months, will make for a good night out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,087 ✭✭✭Jofspring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Berty wrote: »
    Good business idea to be fair. Low investment really. Wood floor, skates and protective gear. High margin I'd say.

Probably not so high once you take the public liability insurance into account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 453 ✭✭Lobsterlady

Kess73 wrote: »
    Was there something similar in the Stella years and years ago or is it my imagination playing up?

Yes there was Kess, years and years ago:D It was brilliant fun. Hope this takes off for them, I'll be paying them a visit (will have to pull out my day glo gear and puffball skirt!). Go 80's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There used to be a place like this up near Southill back in the 80s. God I'm old, now I'm depressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

I had my skates with me for ten years in Limerick. I leave and a month later this gets announced.

FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I really don't see this lasting. Tbh, if it was in town it'd do better but Eastway? No busses means you need a driver or a lift.

• Advertisement

I hope it takes off as it would offer something new for Limerick, and would create new jobs at the same time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Delta go-karting and soccer dome don't seem to have suffered by location. It would be nice to have something like this a little more central though, for convenience as much as anything else. I'll check it out at least once anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

OMG - roller skating in the Stella. Now that brings back memories of a sore head. Must have been only 17/18 at the time and was skating backwards round the rink with my friend and some smart a*s thought it was clever to stick out his leg and trip people up - we went down like skittles :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's a shame that the area doesn't have a decent bus service. It would be really beneficial.

There was talk of a bus service to Annacotty via CityEast mentioned in 2007 but it never materialised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭louloumc89

I'd say a bus route will materialize if the rink does well. I'm on the roller derby team and we're really looking forward to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Even if a bus route doesnt materialise, there will probably be some collect and drop off service I'd imagine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Hehe screw roller derby.

THIS is what needs to be brought into Limerick.

My old sport from Sydney.

Jumpy wrote: »
    Hehe screw roller derby.

THIS is what needs to be brought into Limerick.

My old sport from Sydney.

Haha looks cool! I'd defo do that!

Roller derby is more fun though imo. For spectators and the teams!

The Limerick City forum outing to the roller Jam soon led to some disagreements over posting styles. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I predict the typical Limerick busisness scenario.
    1] Somone has brilliant idea,after much hassle they get it open and start making a few bob.
    2] Greedy lazy feckers who couldnt think up an original idea,jump on this idea and promptly open two to three other venues.:rolleyes:
    Prime examples,one bowling alley in the 1990s[built by some rocket scientist OVER the cinema in the old Savoy complex!:rolleyes:] Promptly TWO others are opened. One original pizzeria [Papa Ginos] within four years SIX crappy pizzerias!
    3]The "compo hunters " move into any decent halfway run thing and make sure they have an accident.
    4]After a large claim in an accident or some H&S issue like proving some "minors" were let loose in there.While mam and dad video them to prove that they are willing to put their kids at risk.The busisness is damaged,and starts to fold
    5] Goes into recivership,gone
    6] other copy cat busisness fold too after making large profit at rippoff prices with minimal HSE rules.

Repeat process in a few years...
    Its the same story here in Limerick.If we have one we must have five of everything!
    I'll give it three years...:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I predict the typical Limerick busisness scenario.
    1] Somone has brilliant idea,after much hassle they get it open and start making a few bob.
    2] Greedy lazy feckers who couldnt think up an original idea,jump on this idea and promptly open two to three other venues.:rolleyes:
    Prime examples,one bowling alley in the 1990s[built by some rocket scientist OVER the cinema in the old Savoy complex!:rolleyes:] Promptly TWO others are opened. One original pizzeria [Papa Ginos] within four years SIX crappy pizzerias!
    3]The "compo hunters " move into any decent halfway run thing and make sure they have an accident.
    4]After a large claim in an accident or some H&S issue like proving some "minors" were let loose in there.While mam and dad video them to prove that they are willing to put their kids at risk.The busisness is damaged,and starts to fold
    5] Goes into recivership,gone
    6] other copy cat busisness fold too after making large profit at rippoff prices with minimal HSE rules.

Repeat process in a few years...
    Its the same story here in Limerick.If we have one we must have five of everything!
    I'll give it three years...:(

Hah...Well lets hope the entrepreneurs for this business are a bit more optimistic than you are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

And there I was thinking we'd eradicated the wanton pessimism from this forum...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'll be giving it a go, think my son will love it to, will they let me bring my own inline skate with me or will it be 4 wheelers only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,050 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

louloumc89 wrote: »
    Hah...Well lets hope the entrepreneurs for this business are a bit more optimistic than you are.

Sorry if I am being REALISTIC!:rolleyes:And having seen this happen to a few good busisness ideas in this town ,it is as the saying is "just the way it is!"
    I hope it works out for them,but I bet within 6/12 months there will be at least TWO attempts at the same idea within Limerick.
    We shall wait and see in 4 years time..

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lady79

Hey, was at the new roller-skating venue Rollerjam with some friends. Great fun n' craic, reasonably priced and lovely staff also. I'd strongly recommend the place. Credit to the operators. Great to see a venue like this in Limerick. Another positive addition to the City.

lady79 wrote: »
    Hey, was at the new roller-skating venue Rollerjam with some friends. Great fun n' craic, reasonably priced and lovely staff also. I'd strongly recommend the place. Credit to the operators. Great to see a venue like this in Limerick. Another positive addition to the City.

And just how long have you been working for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lady79

I don't work there nor am I affilated with the place in any way. I simply saw the comments on here and decided to join and add a few words. I'm new to Limerick myself, having moved here recently. I had friends down from the West and we went to check the place out. As I have already stated, I had fun there and wanted to let others know, that's it. Furthermore, I just think it's great to see something like this open, times we're in and all. Hope it goes well for whoever is behind this venture.

I don't work there nor am I affilated with the place in any way. I simply saw the comments on here and decided to join and add a few words. I'm new to Limerick myself, having moved here recently. I had friends down from the West and we went to check the place out. As I have already stated, I had fun there and wanted to let others know, that's it. Furthermore, I just think it's great to see something like this open, times we're in and all. Hope it goes well for whoever is behind this venture.

Hear Hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 seamusfamous

Delta go-karting and soccer dome don't seem to have suffered by location. It would be nice to have something like this a little more central though, for convenience as much as anything else. I'll check it out at least once anyway!

Dont know about the soccer dome but the karting is suffering have been in that way a few times and there never seems to be anything mush going on at all,wouldnt put it down to location either thou most track's are in the sticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Don't mind Insect Overlord, he can be an awful troublemaker/troll sometimes :pac:

Advertisement