Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City 2 Surf

Options
  • 27-05-2011 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

Applications are now open for City 2 Surf. Anyone entering this year?.
    This will be my first.

Is 75 days enough to get from couch fitness to a 14km run?. :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I did it 2 years in a row, looking into it this year
    I started back the gym and couldn't run 2km without stopping!

So I'll be with you, with couch -> 14km!

Fantastic day and beers in bondi are fantastic

and Hurricanes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Looking forward to it too Hussey, I heard its a great day alright. Just hope I can hack the pace!.
    The course continues along New South Head Rd through Rose Bay, then up “Heartbreak Hill” (the halfway point) and also the toughest part of the course.

Heartbreak hill sounds a bit worrying in fairness :D

Yeah it's a killer - and you have rolling hills before that! and then a few more hills after!

but after around 10km mark it's pretty much all down hill - the last 2km is a killer as lots of people around the streets and you can see the line but just so far away!

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

75 days in plenty of time. Don't just run for training because you may get bored and quit. Do all sorts of cardio and strength train your legs. And if it is like Perth there will be free training sessions in the city coming closer to the starting date.

My pet hate in fun runs is the pretend runners who go a short distance before pulling up right in front of the runners. Why they don't just jog to the side before stopping.

Good luck. I would love to do the Sydney one.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

ellaq wrote: »

My pet hate in fun runs is the pretend runners who go a short distance before pulling up right in front of the runners. Why they don't just jog to the side before stopping.

City2Surf isn't really a typical fun run. The pack is graded to prevent that sort of thing happening.

It looks like this
    Wheelchair Athletes. (racing wheelchairs only)

Seeded (invitation only, top 30 from last year)
    Preferred (Men sub 55mins, women sub 60mins)*
    The Sun-Herald (Red) Start (Sub 75mins)*
    Panadol Rapid (Green) Start (Sub 100mins)*
    Blue Start (no qualifying needed, runners/joggers only, sub 110 mins)
    Westpac Yellow (walkers/joggers/kids)
    Orange Back of the Pack (walkers, fun groups, pushers)

*Need to qualify to enter in these groups. It you plan on running a fast pace, you should sort this soon as they are filling up quickly.

• Advertisement

Anyway, it's 11 weeks from this sunday, that plenty of time. Even the official training plan doesn't kick off until june 6th. Registration is $10 cheaper if you register before 1st June

I'm planning on giving it a decent go. I just plan on doing some running, steadily increasing volume up to the week befroe, then a light week and go for it. i've never even ran a 10km.
    What's the over/under of times you'd be happy with guys?

There might be useful btw;
    Here's a map of the elevation
    Gradient%20map.JPG

And here's the gradients, if you want to get a feel for them on a treadmill.

Distance_ Height_ Gradient
    0___ 32___ n/a
    1___ 42___ 1.0%
    2___ 24___ -1.8%
    3___ 18___ -0.6%
    4___ 20___ 0.2%
    5___ 5____ -1.5%
    6___ 20___ 1.5%
    7___ 58___ 3.8%
    8___ 80___ 2.2%
    9___ 70___ -1.0%
    10__ 68___ -0.2%
    11__ 78___ 1.0%
    12__ 56___ -2.2%
    13__ 20___ -3.6%
    14--- 18___ -0.2%

That's interesting Mellor - and defo relates to last years race from me
    Gradient%20map.JPG
    Vs
    160671.jpg

People don't always line up in the sections that they are supposed to. And it can be hard to enforce the rules with such large numbers.

It is lots of fun, total chaos and every person for themselves.

It's not jsut a case of lining up, it's different times, different coloured bibs etc
    C2S is so big, it really has to be very strict on organising. Obviously some slip through

I should point out, I've never done it, comments are based on a 9k bridge run lst year, they were pretty good at getting the groups sorted

edit: anyone got a promo code, just about to pay now and a box came up, saying to enter if i have one

I haven't done it in 2 years now and I always did the unqualified section. It is pretty easy for people to overestimate themselves and get a different vest. Last time I did it I saw a group of around 60 people just cut across a park, they are only cheating themselves but not very nice to see. I recently 14km Hbf run for reason last weekend and it was well organised. But less than 14000 compared to c2s in Perth which has almost 40,000. I completed the 14km in 113minutes.

I did it in 1 hour 13 minutes not 113 minutes. Big difference there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I like the look of the last 3k.

If you are not in your right section you don't get a recorded time, so most people will actually do it

1st year I was in the non entry and was a bit chaotic, once they hit the first tunnel (slight uphill) people were stopping dead still and run into them, last year was fine, most people were around my pace - was was grand

also since it's a cold morning the first 2km are a killer, getting air into teh lungs is tough!

ellaq wrote: »
    I haven't done it in 2 years now and I always did the unqualified section. It is pretty easy for people to overestimate themselves and get a different vest.
    ah well obviously you'll get people of differnet abilities unqualified sections.
    I don't see how somebody could over-estimate and get a vest for one of the other sections, you have to have an official in a 10km-21kn race (it's not on the website but they accept 9km )
    hussey wrote: »
    1st year I was in the non entry and was a bit chaotic, once they hit the first tunnel (slight uphill) people were stopping dead still and run into them, last year was fine, most people were around my pace - was was grand
    if you don't mind me asking what were your times hussey the last two times.
    What section you planning on hitting this year?

Mellor wrote: »
    ah well obviously you'll get people of differnet abilities unqualified sections.
    I don't see how somebody could over-estimate and get a vest for one of the other sections, you have to have an official in a 10km-21kn race (it's not on the website but they accept 9km )

if you don't mind me asking what were your times hussey the last two times.
    What section you planning on hitting this year?

anyone can run in any section, no one will kick them out but unless they have a matching chip timer then they won't get recorded

1st year I ran in 78mins and was aiming for 80mins mark
    2nd year I ran 75mins (well 7sec under :D )

This year I am aiming for around 80, as I had some knee issues and haven't run at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

I found this on the interwebs during the week and
    apparently there has been another death aswell. :eek:
    A young man has died just 200m from the finish line of the City2Surf running race in Sydney, an NSW Ambulance spokeswoman says.

The 26-year-old fell to the ground on the home stretch at Bondi Beach, bringing a wave of onsite medical personnel to his aid.

The tragedy happened around 11am (AEST) while thousands of runners were passing by on their way to completing the 14km race.

Anyways training starts this morning, probably shouldn't have went for all those beers last night though. 50,000 applicants so far, looks like it will be a big one this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

how is the training going for ye? im up to 5km, a long way to go yet!!

Pretty good. Averaging about 20km a week, this will increase to 25km adn then 30km as race approaches
    I think 7km was my longest single run, the rest were 2-5km runs on weight lifting days.

Still not decided on race pace, and thinking about getting a HRM

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭LittleT

Anybody know of any decent training groups for this race? I know its getting a little close to the time, just need a little motivation, preferably in the northern subarbs!

I think the official website has links on it

5 days to go, everyone all set?
    Training should be finished by now.
    I've got a target in my head, but I'm not sure how realistic it is given the hills.

• Advertisement

It's tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Shelga

Was in Sydney yesterday when this was on, was weird on my last morning seeing the city like that! Looked like fun though. :)

The times are released today, thinks its a pretty big pull out in ther SMH

Results, photos and video are up on the website.
    It give both the Gun time and the actual start to end time.

I came in at 63m08s
    Very happy with that

Congrats Mellor. A great result.

Advertisement