Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

its probably been answered a lot before

Options
  • 27-05-2011 3:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

is it against the law to have a mate ship gun related items from the US/canada to ireland? scopes, rifle mags ect?
    and likewise can they be brought home in your luggage?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Scopes and other such accessories can be shipped/brought home once there is:
    • No prohibition on exporting these items from the US or Canada exists.
    • You are prepared to pay any/all taxes and duties upon arrival in Ireland.
    Also items such as stocks, triggers, mags, actions, barrels, moderators, etc are all componant parts of a firearm. Meaning they will each be treated as if they are individually a firearm. Try shipping them in or bringing in a suitcase without the proper export, import documents and authorisation from the DOJ and you will get hit with illegally importing firearm/firearm componants.

Massive fine, and/or possibly jail time.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

What 8is no harm are slings, beads,cleaning tools(not chemicals) cheek risers and second hand items as there is no VAT on used items that are **on the approved items list**

AFAIK a "gift" under $125 value is no VAT but over that yes. And that can be combined item valve.

as Ezri said stay well away from actual intrinsic gun parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hartman

Ezridax wrote: »
    Scopes and other such accessories can be shipped/brought home once there is:
    • No prohibition on exporting these items from the US or Canada exists.

With regard to that they have introduced legislation to limit what rifle scopes are exported from the states. It is a (Federal I think) offence to export a rifle scope outside of the USA without a licence to do so, apparently Mildot scopes require further paperwork again.

Little snippet I found which is also of interest

Assistant Secretary of Commerce for Export Enforcement Michael J. Garcia today announced that Sturm, Ruger and Company, Inc., of Southport, Conn., has agreed to pay a civil penalty of $11,000 to settle an allegation that it exported rifle scopes to Oman without the required license. A license is required to export the rifle scopes to most destinations in order to ensure that the scopes will not be used to violate human rights.

The Commerce Department's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) had alleged that Sturm, Ruger had sent a shipment of 12 rifle scopes from the United States to Oman without obtaining the required export license from BIS. The $11,000 penalty is the maximum authorized for that charge.

You dont need to read between the lines there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

Ive been to America alot and I love going to the big stores like Bass pro shops , Cabelas etc.. I honestly stopped buying accessories over here because we get so ripped off. I have never had any trouble at all bringing things back in my suitcase such as scopes , bipods , range finder , nightvision etc... I bought a 6-24 x 50 scope for my .308 over there and it cost only $79 and It made me sick to think I was going to spend €1200 in my local shop for the same power scope. Any chance you get buy it from an American shop online.. and incase your wondering about the price being so cheap for the scope - Its practically nothing and has never given me the slightest bit of trouble , illuminated mil dot reticle , lockable turrets the whole works.

seriously just look online before you buy here and get ripped off , saying that just buy from big well known companies as they have no problem sending replacements or refunds.

......... I have never had any trouble at all bringing things back in my suitcase such as scopes , bipods , range finder , nightvision etc..

If you do get stopped be prepared for a large bill.
    ......... I bought a 6-24 x 50 scope for my .308 over there and it cost only $79 and It made me sick to think I was going to spend €1200 in my local shop for the same power scope.

Thats an unfair comparison. I can get a 6-24x50 scope here for the same kind of money. It may last a few shots or many, but at some stage it will fail. Even some of the well known makes in that power do not cost €1200. You are comparing a very cheap scope to the likes of Leupold, Nightforce, etc. Compare the prices of these scopes in the states to here. There is not a huge difference.

As a matter of interest/fact Nightforce scopes (to mention one brand i checked) are cheaper in Ireland than England, some European countries, Austrailia, etc, etc.
    .................. - Its practically nothing and has never given me the slightest bit of trouble , illuminated mil dot reticle , lockable turrets the whole works.

What make/model is the scope?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

without the need for nit-picking, i think rabitt assassins point in general is on the mark. import duties, vat etc. are what pushes items here beyond the reasonable mark, not necessarily the irish retailers markup. overall, if you took a shopping basket around cabelas, ll bean or similar, and then did the same here- you'd end up in tears at the difference.

I'm not nit-picking nor am i trying to say rabbit assassin's point is not valid. My point(s) is/are this.

You cannot compare a $79 scope in the states to a €1,200 scope here. At least not without naming the brand. Its like comparing a BSA to a S&B. Both are scopes, both do the same mag and both would/will function on a C/F rifle. However the S&B will be guaranteed to maintain its performance with a lifetime warranty. The BSA would be "hit and miss". It could work, it may not work, it may only work for a while before loosing its zero, etc.

Secondly more power to anyone that can gets scopes, etc into Ireland by throwing them into their cases. If they are stopped by customs though they will get hit with a tax/duty fee. Also with the clampdown recently of both the Irish customs and the federal Gov in America items that could have been brought home by such means are now being more heavily scrutinsed, and controlled.

I don't need to be told we are paying more than we should i know we are. As does any lad that has tried to buy ANYTHING. Now while i realise some products by their design, make up, cost, etc have a very low profit margin other items seem to "balance the scales".
    Recently i was looking into getting a Savage SR-TR II in .22lr. They are $449 in the states. When i finally got the Euro price i was told that they will retail at €850. Thats nearly 3 times the American price.
    When i done some checking about buying privately and importing through a friendly dealer it was going to cost me €617 including all appropriate duties, taxes, fees, etc. When i asked why i could import for over €200 cheaper than them, as they are importing multiple firearms and would get discounts for bulk buys, shipping, etc i got no answer. Then in the next mouthful i'm told there is no money to be made on firearms in this country. So either the RFDs are getting screwed on taxes that do no apply to an average person, and passing this cost onto us or someone is making a profit on our both the RFd's and our backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

booom wrote: »
    without the need for nit-picking, i think rabitt assassins point in general is on the mark. import duties, vat etc. are what pushes items here beyond the reasonable mark, not necessarily the irish retailers markup. overall, if you took a shopping basket around cabelas, ll bean or similar, and then did the same here- you'd end up in tears at the difference.

You will, but you won't get a €1200 scope for $79. That's just ridiculous.

Thinks I bought in US

Clothes for Hunting
    Camelbak
    Nikon accesories
    shotgun beads
    Holsters
    Gunslips
    Slings
    The scopes for small money were Russian Baraska Shi*

The US stuff was cheap, the European stuff was same price
    I went in Turkey season and all the stuff on sale was Turkey related

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Hartman

Thinks I bought in US

The scopes for small money were Russian Baraska Shi*

Barska Scopes are Chinese/Manufactured in China

• Advertisement

Hartman wrote: »
    Barska Scopes are Chinese/Manufactured in China

Russia/China is immaterial they are shi*e

less than lidl Qualiy

and that's all one would get for under $100.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robertpatterson

Ezridax wrote: »
    I'm not nit-picking nor am i trying to say rabbit assassin's point is not valid. My point(s) is/are this.

Also with the clampdown recently of both the Irish customs and the federal Gov in America items that could have been brought home by such means are now being more heavily scrutinsed, and controlled.

Is there a link for this clampdown?

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/general/international_sales.aspx

It once was possible import Triggers etc, now you need export from US

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

I have my rifle at Fergal white to be threaded at the moment for brake\moderator,and i was looking for a special brake for it that he had to import from the US,and the answer was no export of brakes!!!!
    But that didnt stop Fergal offcourse,he just said they not that hard to make,ill make one for you instead:)
    Cant beat that service:D
    And i also have a riflescope on its way from the states,and it seems like its taking alot longer time to process the paperwork now than it did before.

Thanks for that but i meant a link to the irish customs crackdown

It's the US the major clamp down is on, but as lads always post about importing from US ; you can be assured big brother is watching ;)

I think its brilliant the way someone will not believe someone else unless they can see it in black and white.

Do you really think An Gardai or the DOJ have a red flashing announcement on their websites saying they are cracking down on imports from the US, etc. Of course not. The term crackdown is a phrase i used to get across the point that the US has tightened up on items that once could be freely exported, and that the Irish Gov. via customs have begun to rigorously inspect every package so that less and less can "slip" through without paying the necessary duties, taxes and related fees.

If you want a link pick any user here that has imported recently and ask them how much they paid on duties that they never paid before. Ask those that imported on a regular basis are they doing so with as much ease as before or frequency.

There are no links for alot of things. Show me a link to a where a Super can refuse a mod to someone because he does not want them to have it. A link to where it says you can only have 3/4/5/6 firearms. A link to where it states you must wait 6 months between applications.

There are no links yet all these and much, much more happen on a weekly basis.

Sheesh reset your rant button dude:eek:
    I only asked a question that others on this site ask very day when someone posts something

Its not a rant its a fact. Context is lost when typing.

As said though there is no "Official" party line. Its the daily/weekly/monthly acts that are occuring. We see it as a clampdown and while it is, it is more a case of the relevant countries enforcing the existing laws rather than implimenting new ones or making it up as they go along.

Advertisement