Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halti or Gentle Leader?

• 27-05-2011 8:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭

Hi I was just wondering if ye would recommend a Halti or a Gentle Leader for a Staff cross 9month old pup? I know dogmatic are better and I ordered one 2 weeks ago but they still dont have them in stock and cant tell me when they will be back in.

We got the pup on Tuesday and would prefer to be walking her with a head collar. Was out walking yesterday and had a guy stop his car in the middle of the road to stare at us so am a bit wary of being reported for walking her unmuzzled. I know a headcollar isnt a muzzle but its better than a regular collar.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

The gentle leader doesn't seem to ride up to their eyes as much as the halti. We only used it for a week or two when we were done with crate rest to try and slow my guy down. He hated it and tbh I wouldn't use it again unless absolutely necessary.
    The only place I've seen them is Dog Training Ireland's shop - I don't think they're on the site but they def have them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

tk123 wrote: »
    The gentle leader doesn't seem to ride up to their eyes as much as the halti. We only used it for a week or two when we were done with crate rest to try and slow my guy down. He hated it and tbh I wouldn't use it again unless absolutely necessary.
    The only place I've seen them is Dog Training Ireland's shop - I don't think they're on the site but they def have them.

Thanks tk, sorry I am being a bit blonde but do you mean you wouldnt use any type of headcollar?

What is in DTI?

Sorry - I typed that from my phone at speed waiting at the GPs earlier! :pac: I wouldn't use a headcollar again because it freaked him out a bit and also he's a golden retriever so a gun dog - he loves nothing better then walking along with his nose to the ground and the gentle leader got in the way a little as his lead was trailing under him and he was stepping over it/getting tangled. We've done a lot of work on loose lead walking since so he walks perfectly pretty much all of the time so we should have no need for one again.

DTI have gentle leaders in the shop. And I've seen canny collars in PetStop as well as Haltis. I think if you're trying to give the illusion of a muzzle you'd want a halti/dogmatic/canny - the gentle leader is a bit more low profile so won't give the same effect imo?

I know, ideally I wanted a dogmatic. Cant believe they have been out of stock for so long. Dont know what to do now, dont want to buy a halti and then have to shell out for a dogmatic again. Might just have to buy a muzzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

See if they have any on any of the stalls at the Dog Expo, I have a couple of dogmatics here that I haven't used for years, I'll bring them along, will probably be too big, but you can try. If one fits, you're welcome to it, I don't want to stop my dogs pulling anymore:rolleyes: I know you'd have to get the dog into the building first, but maybe someone has a muzzle you could borrow just until you get your dogmatic?

• Advertisement

ISDW wrote: »
    See if they have any on any of the stalls at the Dog Expo, I have a couple of dogmatics here that I haven't used for years, I'll bring them along, will probably be too big, but you can try. If one fits, you're welcome to it, I don't want to stop my dogs pulling anymore:rolleyes: I know you'd have to get the dog into the building first, but maybe someone has a muzzle you could borrow just until you get your dogmatic?

Aw thanks thats so nice..if one fits I will gladly buy if off you.

I will ask Sarah for the lend of a muzzle and only put it on if I have to.

I will come to visit your stall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Nollipop

I use both types on different breeds and the Halti and Gentle Leader are available from most petshops. AFAIK they are about the same price (16-20E)

The Halti comes with an extra attachment so that you have the leash clipped onto the Halti, plus the Halti is also attached to the normal collar as well. This makes it feel extra secure if you haven't used a head-collar before. You do need to buy the correct size though. I think there are about 5 sizes available.

The Gentle Leader does not have the extra collar clip but it does have more flexible sizing as you slide a plastic clip up to the dog's chin to secure the headcollar.It comes in three sizes, a small, medium and large. I've used the medium size on a Staffie and a large-ish collie, but you should be able to try different sizes on to see what fits best.

Oh, and you need to build up to walking the dog with it on. Use lots of treats and rubs to reassure the dog, as it does feel quite strange to them at first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

I just finished my first walk with a Gentle Leader and although Sindy (Retriever Spaniel Cross) didn't love it she copped on very quickly and it was the least pully walk we've had in ages.
    We just found out I'm pregnant again and after 2 misses we can't take any chances so the solution had to be found, and the Gentle Leader really seems to be it. Sindy will get used to it.
    The smaller dog Frago (Jack Russell Cavallier King Charles Cross) isn't such an issue, not as strong so just got a new non-pull harness and again it was great :-)
    It's a happy and stress free Barbiegirl after that walk :D

Congrats barbiegirl!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭slashygoodness

We use the front clip connection harness and it really does cut down on the pulling, we also use the normal collar and are training them to not pull as well (kinda getting there ;) ). The ones from DTI are very good - we have 2 large puppies...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Congratulations barbiegirl

We use the front clip connection harness and it really does cut down on the pulling, we also use the normal collar and are training them to not pull as well (kinda getting there ;) ). The ones from DTI are very good - we have 2 large puppies...

I think that Tillygirl needs the headcollar rather than the harness as a lot of dog wardens will accept it as a muzzle for a restricted breed.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭slashygoodness

ISDW wrote: »
    I think that Tillygirl needs the headcollar rather than the harness as a lot of dog wardens will accept it as a muzzle for a restricted breed.

Oh, did not know that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Congrats.:)

I use the Dogmatic which I know you said they are out of, Main thing I notice is that my Titan walks and does not pull which is important, less strain on his neck also as I am not pulling him back, for the first few days he did not like it because it restricts his freedom but he is not uncomfortable so I didnt give in, also now my wife and even 5 year old son can walk him(for just a minute just to test the idea). Bad thing about it is that people treat my dog totally different when he wears the head collar, they are more cold and avoid us when out walking so once I reach the park I switch back to the normal collar and its all smiles from the people we pass.

heres a pic with the collar on.
    160858.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39 snowy two

Congrats.:)

I use the Dogmatic which I know you said they are out of, Main thing I notice is that my Titan walks and does not pull which is important, less strain on his neck also as I am not pulling him back, for the first few days he did not like it because it restricts his freedom but he is not uncomfortable so I didnt give in, also now my wife and even 5 year old son can walk him(for just a minute just to test the idea). Bad thing about it is that people treat my dog totally different when he wears the head collar, they are more cold and avoid us when out walking so once I reach the park I switch back to the normal collar and its all smiles from the people we pass.

heres a pic with the collar on.
    160858.jpg

Just saw ur picture lovely dog just wondered where u got the rucksack

Ah he's so cuuuuuuuuuuuute!!! :pac: Are you using the packs for his bits and pieces or to work him? I do obedience training with with my guy so bring his long lead on one side and some toys and poobags etc on the other to even it out. We get a mix of funny looks and "oh look at the doggy carrying his toys" :pac:
    On a side note we've recently switched from a sens-ible to a premier easy walk (same place that make gentle leaders) and I like it better - the ring is on a martingale loop so it's not flush against his body like the sensible and you can rotate it around and attach at the back for when we use our long line. With a long line attached at the front he usually gets tangled up and drags the lead around in his mouth. He wasn't allowed off his lead for 13 weeks after surgery so we had plenty of time to work on walking on a loose lead! The looks I got in the park flinging treats ahead of us lol :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

tk123 wrote: »
    Ah he's so cuuuuuuuuuuuute!!! :pac: Are you using the packs for his bits and pieces or to work him? I do obedience training with with my guy so bring his long lead on one side and some toys and poobags etc on the other to even it out. We get a mix of funny looks and "oh look at the doggy carrying his toys" :pac:
    On a side note we've recently switched from a sens-ible to a premier easy walk (same place that make gentle leaders) and I like it better - the ring is on a martingale loop so it's not flush against his body like the sensible and you can rotate it around and attach at the back for when we use our long line. With a long line attached at the front he usually gets tangled up and drags the lead around in his mouth. He wasn't allowed off his lead for 13 weeks after surgery so we had plenty of time to work on walking on a loose lead! The looks I got in the park flinging treats ahead of us lol :D

I just started using the backpack a few days ago, I had bought it months ago but only wanted to start Titan on it when he reached 6 months. I started with him carrying nothing inside and the picture is the first day he carried his own water and treats. I need to slow down abit as His skeleton is still growing and he has a bit more to grow yet.

I got the Backpack very cheap on Ebay, here you go:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/KARLIE-DOG-SADDLEBAG-BACKPACK-BACK-PACK-RUCKSACK-/150568252701?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item68c74a58ca#ht_1563wt_916

Had her at the groomers yesterday and got a halti for €11.50. Tried it on her yesterday a few times giving her treats she doesn't love it!

Congrats barbiegirl :D

Advertisement