Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benches

Options
  • 27-05-2011 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭

I was just wondering what peoples opinion are of the stone benches down by the harbour and beach...my opinion is that they are a lovely way to be remembered but they are not grave stone and should not have RIP on them ....the council needs to have have a few guidelines about this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭nobby grande

I think you should be very careful raising this topic. It is an extremely sensitive subject and most people in Greystones will know at least one person represented down there. What is your point, that the bench should not say RIP or that the bench should not be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Of course they should be there as I said its a lovely way to remember someone and I knew one of the people commemorated with a bench and there is a very appropriate few words on the bench.... but I still think they are not grave stone and perhaps a few words of poetry ect is more appropriate...my favourite one say something like ..how he loved this spot....something I can totally empathise with because I love walking along the beach!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Mariaalice,
    I agree with your sentiments

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I really like them and have no issue with them saying RIP on them, it is not reserved for gravestones, it is simply a wish for the person who has passed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I made the same point on another thead here - they look like bench shaped gravestones and I don't think they are appropriate.

A wooden bench with a plaque saying "Erected by the friends of Joe Bloggs, he loved this place" - fine.

A marble bench saying "Joe Bloggs 1921-2009, RIP" - keep it for the cemetery IMO.

(with apologies to Mr. Bloggs' family).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

I think its all a bit morbid. One or two would be ok but it is becoming a linear graveyard. (No offence intended to the deceased of whom I knew several)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    I think its all a bit morbid.

Disagree entirely. It is a lovely gesture of the family to provide seating for those who wish to avail of the beautiful views. Seating provided by GTC is entirely inadequate and in dire need of removing/replacing.

I do think though that there should be a limited number, and each for a limited time (5 years?). But this might lead to some sort of ugly "competition", and I just cannot trust our councillors to be objective in their choices...

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I think its all a bit morbid. One or two would be ok but it is becoming a linear graveyard. (No offence intended to the deceased of whom I knew several)

Agree completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Who pays for the benches in question?

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

astrofluff wrote: »
    Who pays for the benches in question?

The family/friends of the deceased. There is no cost to the taxpayer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toitle

It doesn't bother me in the slightest.I think it's nice for the peoples families.
    It's more interesting to see different designs of bench rather than the same old type one after the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 coolagad

Agree as well. Life can be grim enough without being reminded of someones death when your out for a walk and trying to clear your head. If the family themselves know the bench is dedicated to their loved ones surely that should be sufficient. Again completely respecting what people have done to date

mariaalice wrote: »
    I was just wondering what peoples opinion are of the stone benches down by the harbour and beach...my opinion is that they are a lovely way to be remembered but they are not grave stone and should not have RIP on them ....the council needs to have have a few guidelines about this.

I walked the seafront today and I didn't actually see RIP on any of the seats. I may have missed one that had it on but I will check more diligently during the next few days and post again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    I walked the seafront today and I didn't actually see RIP on any of the seats. I may have missed one that had it on but I will check more diligently during the next few days and post again.
    Yes I never noticed any RIP on them. I didn't mind the benches when there was a couple of them, but there's more than a couple of them now, enough I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

I know it's not Greystones/Charlesland related and I know I shouldn't, but this thread came to mind when I saw this and couldn't resist posting it here :

http://www.thepoke.co.uk/2011/07/12/memorial-bench-of-the-week/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 noital

I think the benches are a great idea and, unfortunately, I was good friends of 2 of the lads who are represented by benches. I think the unusual design of each bench is a fitting tribute as to remember each person. Not too unusual that they are unsightly, but enough so that each time people walk by they can identify which bench is in memory of what person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There are too many benches between the harbour and the south beach.
    There are none along the cliff walk, a few would be nice along there.
    Something I have seen in other parts of the country is an inscription of a verse of poetry appropriate to the view, followed by "Joe bloggs loved this place/poem". That's always good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can't say I've noticed any RIP's, but not sure I'd be bothered or put off anyway. The families are providing them, and the community benefits, so I can't say I care about the inscription. The benches are a great addition, especially for the old and those with young children.

Advertisement