Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

premium rate number 1590998206 WTF

Options
  • 27-05-2011 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Lads sorry if this is in the wrong place but does anyone know who the above number belongs to? Just got a phone bill and a 5 min call cost over €20!!!

Don't remember phoning it and if I call it to check I will be charged again! I checked comreg but nothing.

Anyone know?

Tunner

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

tunner wrote: »
    I checked comreg but nothing.

You probably only checked the Comreg website. It doesn't appear that you can search 1590 numbers on the site [but they say you can] but RING them on +353 1 8049600 . They will tell you who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭619C

Lads sorry if this is in the wrong place but does anyone know who the above number belongs to? Just got a phone bill and a 5 min call cost over €20!!!

Don't remember phoning it and if I call it to check I will be charged again! I checked comreg but nothing.

Anyone know?

Tunner

You could just ring it and see who it is??
    OK it will cost you some money but at least you will know

619C wrote: »
    You could just ring it and see who it is??
    OK it will cost you some money but at least you will know

True. But ringing ComReg for free will also tell him who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rory_K

Anyone know?

Tunner

I just got a charge for 23 quid for this number - rang em and its some mystic psychic bull**** that i never rang.

Did you have any joy with your provider on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Was it a landline bill or a mobile/voip bill.

It sounds like malware but as hardly anyone has a modem connected to their computer unless it was from a mobile or via a voip account can't see how it could be malware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭freelancerTax

maybe they preditcted that you would ring them and charged you accordingly :rolleyes:

get in touch with comreg about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Twah

maybe they preditcted that you would ring them and charged you accordingly :rolleyes:

get in touch with comreg about it

Had a charge of €30 on a recent phone bill to this number for a 9 min call apparently. Spoke to mobile phone provider who said the call must have been dialled from the phone for it to come up on the bill. I didn't believe it was. They tried to ring it and couldn't get it to ring, suggesting it could only be called from a mobile. They gave me a number for ComReg to ring - 1890 229668 - for them to tell me who the call was to. They said it was 36c/min to ring ComReg on this number. So I rang ComReg and they said it's "Divine Psychic" - an adult entertainment service, so they recommended getting on the service provider and blocking premium rate numbers (if you want to!)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lmkman

My phone made a call to this number this evening. I saw active call which was connected for 9 mins. I did not diall number.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 suew

Same thing happened to me this week. 10 min call to this number = €35. Very annoying!!!
    Do you people have iPhones? I do and i realised what the problem is, there is no way that number was typed into my phone!!!
    Free ads pop up on different apps on my iphone - it is very easy to press on one of these in error (especially if ur kids play on ur phone like mine)
    I called my service provider and got premium calls barred immediately. I hoped they would scrap the €35 call as a gesture of good will seeing as I'm a customer 14 yrs spending approx €1,000 per annum.
    They wouldn't seeing as this charge was not from their company but from some outside Horoscopes company.
    Hope this helps with the confusion

suew wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me this week. 10 min call to this number = €35. Very annoying!!!
    Do you people have iPhones? I do and i realised what the problem is, there is no way that number was typed into my phone!!!
    Free ads pop up on different apps on my iphone - it is very easy to press on one of these in error (especially if ur kids play on ur phone like mine)
    I called my service provider and got premium calls barred immediately. I hoped they would scrap the €35 call as a gesture of good will seeing as I'm a customer 14 yrs spending approx €1,000 per annum.
    They wouldn't seeing as this charge was not from their company but from some outside Horoscopes company.
    Hope this helps with the confusion

Make a formal complaint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 HappyKate

This sh*t happened to me as well!!!
    4 calls to the above nrs 1590 99 82 06, 1590 99 82 06 and I received monthly bill - 175eur instead of 45!!! Every call was exactly 10 minutes long. How could that happen??
    What should we do? How can we stop it because I hadn't called these nrs but my phone log shows that I had :eek::confused:

Does it mean that we shold pay now for this sh*t????

HappyKate wrote: »
    This sh*t happened to me as well!!!
    4 calls to the above nrs 1590 99 82 06, 1590 99 82 06 and I received monthly bill - 175eur instead of 45!!! Every call was exactly 10 minutes long. How could that happen??
    What should we do? How can we stop it because I hadn't called these nrs but my phone log shows that I had :eek::confused:

Does it mean that we shold pay now for this sh*t????

Less complaining here, more complaining there, seriously
    RangeR wrote: »

Unfortunately looks like we will have to pay it.
    I argued with my network that the calls had obviously been made in error as I never have rang those numbers before.
    I asked them to remove it from my bill as a gesture of good will ( i am a good customer 14 yrs) but they said they wouldn't because it was a charge from outside their company. If it had have been a service provided by them they could have helped me.

They rang the number and told me it was something about 'horoscopes'.

Get straight on to ur network provider and tell them to block premium rate numbers from your phone.

At least it can't happen again!!!

I emailed Joe Duffy show to see if his researchers could find out some more information for me - but haven't heard anything back.

Wonder how many more people are in this situation???

I don't think these calls had been made in error. I think somebody has hacked our numbers/phones and made the calls instead of us. I don't want to pay for the calls I have never made :eek:. So, will update when my story ends.

If these calls are being made from a 'smart' phone are you all absolutely sure there is no malware on your phones?

If there is and it can be shown to be ringing a premium number then its a crime and the beneficiary can be prosecuted.

I don't wanna pay it either. It's outrageous.

I've been on to my network provider and spoken to 7 different members of staff - including managers - who are adamant there is no way this company hacked our numbers.

They said that it is impossible when I suggested I'd been hacked.

They say the number has definitely been rang from my phone and I have to pay it.

I reckon iPhone apps with free ad pop ups are to blame. How do we find out?

FSL wrote: »
    If these calls are being made from a 'smart' phone are you all absolutely sure there is no malware on your phones?

If there is and it can be shown to be ringing a premium number then its a crime and the beneficiary can be prosecuted.

How do I know if there's malware???

Do a search on the internet for "Smart Phone malware"

I'll pop into service and will find out if there is any way to check the phone for a malware.

If the problem is hidden into apple apps, apple should be responsible for them, IMO.

O2 customer service doesn't respond to my complain regarding my phone bill :(

Suew, how long were the calls made from your phone?
    I had 4 outgoing calls, 1 of them was cancelled and other 2 were for 10min 45sec, 1 for 10min 44sec.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

just had the same on my phone, luckily only 2 minutes. 5 year old has a few talking character games on my phone, one of them must be the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Using an app a few minutes ago and this number started dialling in the background. I only noticed cause I'm running low on credit and could hear the customary 'Your running low on credit....,' message. Sent an email to comreg but has anyone had a response from them for any of your complaints?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

What phones/apps are you all using? This was an issue back in 2010 on the iphone. An ad provider in free apps was linking directly to a premium rate phone number:
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/27/iphone_admob/

Found out at least one app that is the cause, talking pierre the parrot

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/talking-pierre-the-parrot/id430152138?mt=8

One of those free talking character apps kids love, he repeats things they say and does stuff when you click.
    At the bottom of the screen when using the app, a changing picture comes up about wanting to know the future, it links to that 1590 number.
    I managed to get some screenshots which I have uploaded here.
    Disgraceful that an app that is marketed at children has links to phone numbers for adults only.
    I have emailed the developer,and will do the same to app store, see if anything can be done.

phill106 wrote: »
    Found out at least one app that is the cause, talking pierre the parrot

http://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/talking-pierre-the-parrot/id430152138?mt=8

One of those free talking character apps kids love, he repeats things they say and does stuff when you click.
    At the bottom of the screen when using the app, a changing picture comes up about wanting to know the future, it links to that 1590 number.
    I managed to get some screenshots which I have uploaded here.
    Disgraceful that an app that is marketed at children has links to phone numbers for adults only.
    I have emailed the developer,and will do the same to app store, see if anything can be done.

This appears to be concrete proof. Report it to ComReg so something can be done about it.

RangeR wrote: »
    Less complaining here, more complaining there, seriously

Thanks, I just sent them a mail, didnt even think of comreg.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roboworkz

"Lep's World" is currently no.8 in the games category in the App Store. It also has the in-app advertising with the premium rate number above. The ad reads "Calls are €2.90 per minute. Mobile calls may cost more." I accidentally pressed it but hung up after 7secs.  I am concerned that it says it is an "Entertainment Service" with an optout shortcode number. It is outrageous how easily you can accidentally press it in play. I'm taking this further. Boycott the game! Do not download it! Spread the word on Twitter: Tweet "<insert App name> #NoToPremiumRateIn-AppAds #iphone #android"

UPDATE: 7 second call to the premium rate number cost €0.4175. You wouldn't be long running up a bill!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Not sure if it was mentioned but you could contact your mobile provider and have all the premium numbers blocked just in case.

If you get no joy with Comreg your next step is the small claims court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 roboworkz

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    Not sure if it was mentioned but you could contact your mobile provider and have all the premium numbers blocked just in case.

If you get no joy with Comreg your next step is the small claims court.

I will be contacting developer, Apple, ComReg and mobile operator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭murphf

Aarrgghh! Just had ten minutes of this when my 6 year old was on the games ... She was on toystory 3, shave me, the shapes and a swimming one .. Anyone get any further with this?!! Expect my bill will be 30 euros and I just ate her over it but as u say it looks like its an in app advert not her fault!!

Advertisement