Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where is all the ragworth gone???

• 27-05-2011 9:23am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 867 ✭✭✭

is it my imagination or has the harsh frost finally gotten rid of the scourge of ragworth?
    i always have to pick them before the first cut (the neighbours has a show of them which blow in) but this year i can't see any of them.
    i haven't seen any of them either during my travels through the country

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Just thank god it isnt around. Had the same problem with the neighbours crop of ragworth before. But after he was informed it was illegal not to try and get rid of it, he cleaned up his act.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

ragworth is a 2 year crop dont be fooled it will be back next year....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

The only cure for ragwort is to spray it, frost will not kill it unfortunately...

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

we still have it in spots its building up nice big green leaves, i will be spraying when ever i get a chance, but it is not a plentyfull i dont know if thats all the hard work digging the bloody stuff the past few years or the frost!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Don't worry, it ain't gone. I guess a combination of last and this year's weather have kept it quiet. There'll be plenty of seeds to shoot again when conditions are more favourable.
    No shortage of thistles though. Man...if there's one thing I hate it's thistles.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Sheeps are the job for ragworth:D. One of the reasons i still have the hungry buggers. The ewes eat the flowers and the lambs love the leaves. 2 days and 10 acres cleared.

I am starting to agree with you on the thistles pakalasa. I sprayed a 2 acre sheep and calf paddock for nettles last year and had a great kill:D. This year the place is a show with thistles:mad:. But where were they last year the buggers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

5live wrote: »
    Sheeps are the job for ragworth:D. One of the reasons i still have the hungry buggers. The ewes eat the flowers and the lambs love the leaves. 2 days and 10 acres cleared.

I am starting to agree with you on the thistles pakalasa. I sprayed a 2 acre sheep and calf paddock for nettles last year and had a great kill:D. This year the place is a show with thistles:mad:. But where were they last year the buggers

look on the bright side. Thistles won't grow on bad ground ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

Tora Bora wrote: »
    look on the bright side. Thistles won't grow on bad ground ;)
    I must plant wheat there so. I should get at least 12 tonnes there with the ammount of thistles there:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

locky76 wrote: »
    is it my imagination or has the harsh frost finally gotten rid of the scourge of ragworth?
    i always have to pick them before the first cut (the neighbours has a show of them which blow in) but this year i can't see any of them.
    i haven't seen any of them either during my travels through the country
    they are not gone i dug 4 bags of them this week and still more to dig out.i pulled them last year their is a lot growing on a grass bank and my plan is to dig them all out and the ones true the field.

they are not gone i dug 4 bags of them this week and still more to dig out.i pulled them last year their is a lot growing on a grass bank and my plan is to dig them all out and the ones true the field.
    out of interest how do you dipose of them ?

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    out of interest how do you dipose of them ?
    thats the question i still have the 5 bags sitting in the byre i was digging them today as well:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭babybrian

a good fire??

babybrian wrote: »
    a good fire??
    would that be legal:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

thats the question i still have the 5 bags sitting in the byre i was digging them today as well:rolleyes:

Bonfire Night is only 4 weeks away:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

pakalasa wrote: »
    Man...if there's one thing I hate it's thistles.:D

Several 16 litre backpacks of spray later... :D Have sprayed 90% of mine so far, lots of finger crossing though, in between threats of showers work. Done a bit this morning, if you asked me after I finished the first backpack I would have sworn I'd just been caught out by a shower.

Still ain't wet the ground yet though :D

i throw them in the skip or the wheelie bin... the main thing is that livestock have no access to them as they are highly palatable when dead/dying and there in lies the problem!:)

Advertisement