Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much Fertiliser?

• 27-05-2011 9:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40

I reseeded a field 7 weeks ago. Put in grass seed & barley.
    It is coming up nicely- about 2-3 inches. Should I spread fertiliser on it?
    It got 125 KGS/acre of 18-6-12 at the time and 50 KGS/acre of CAN a week ago. Does it need more?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

have applied up to 90units of N to spring wheat under sown grass field.
    similar sowing time to you.
    another 1-1.5bags of CAN to the acre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 krazyfarmer

49801 wrote: »
    have applied up to 90units of N to spring wheat under sown grass field.
    similar sowing time to you.
    another 1-1.5bags of CAN to the acre?

How is it growing for you?
    What height is it up?

i'am fairly happy with it so far. no PGR applied due to grass under sown. variety is Trappe. its 6inch's i guess. I can put up a photo later.

only put out herbicide and alpids spray this tues. there was nothing worth spraying up till after we got decent rain and a flush of weeds. thickening up nicely now. possibly could of been sprayed a week earlier but impossible conditions.

someone more experienced than i could advise you better if you put up your soil test results and previous cropping history.

2 bags to the acre of CAN when the tram lines are up is a good rule of thumb but you did get a tidy amount of 18-6-12 out. did you incorporate into seedbed? I see a big difference on headlands where i ran out pre drilling and broadcast a couple days after drilling. lesson learned:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

I reseeded a field 7 weeks ago. Put in grass seed & barley.
    It is coming up nicely- about 2-3 inches. Should I spread fertiliser on it?
    It got 125 KGS/acre of 18-6-12 at the time and 50 KGS/acre of CAN a week ago. Does it need more?
    Thanks in advance.

so your first crop is barley silage and then grass after that, is that the idea?

so your first crop is barley silage and then grass after that, is that the idea?

Thats the plan.
    Was in old pasture before this. It is growing fairly even just seems a bit slow. All the dry weather after sowing probably to blame. I just want to make sure i am doing it right now. Barley was broadcast so no tramlines.
    Should i spray it no weeds up yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

Thats the plan.
    Was in old pasture before this. It is growing fairly even just seems a bit slow. All the dry weather after sowing probably to blame. I just want to make sure i am doing it right now. Barley was broadcast so no tramlines.
    Should i spray it no weeds up yet?
    barley might outgrow weeds would it? Guy who did reseeding for me told me you would want to be careful with barley silage and rats, he reckoned if it was baled you would want normal silage bales underneath it and have the barley silage as the higher bale if stacking them if you follow me

barley might outgrow weeds would it? Guy who did reseeding for me told me you would want to be careful with barley silage and rats, he reckoned if it was baled you would want normal silage bales underneath it and have the barley silage as the higher bale if stacking them if you follow me

Yeah i hoping barley will grow fast. but it is not a crop I know anything about. I plan to put it in a pit. Been told that single chop harvester is best way to cut it, you lose less of the barley. God know where i will find one of those.

go for a walk through it asap and check for weeds
    last thing you want is to be feeding weeds and end up having a new grass field full of weeds. much cheaper to deal with them when they are small.

broadcast and tickled in?
    can work but might be the reason your crop sounds a bit small. establishment may have been cheap but dont be disappointed if the yield is back a bit.

harvesting: what you really need is a self propelled forage harvester with a direct cut head fitted. will cost though but will have a mill fitted that will crack grains and gives a wider range of harvest dates.

49801 wrote: »
    go for a walk through it asap and check for weeds
    last thing you want is to be feeding weeds and end up having a new grass field full of weeds. much cheaper to deal with them when they are small.

broadcast and tickled in?
    can work but might be the reason your crop sounds a bit small. establishment may have been cheap but dont be disappointed if the yield is back a bit.

harvesting: what you really need is a self propelled forage harvester with a direct cut head fitted. will cost though but will have a mill fitted that will crack grains and gives a wider range of harvest dates.

If there are weeds, what can i spray with that wont kill either the grass or the barley?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭mattthetrasher

i think i used undersown but the co-op will tell ya anyway the right job to harvest that stuff is awagon

• Advertisement

i think i used undersown but the co-op will tell ya anyway the right job to harvest that stuff is awagon

i used db plus and its expensive as its also clover safe.http://www.magentadirect.ie/proddetail.php?prod=UNDERSOWNDBSPRAY

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Miley2

What kind of cattle do you feed your barley silage to? Is it just for finishing or do you give it to weanlings/yearlings too?
    Do you mix in a diet feeder with other ingredients or just feed as is?

Sorry for all the questions, I am thinking of doing it next year. i usually grow around 25 acres of spring barley. I sell most of the straw from the field and keep the rest for myself. I mix the rolled barley with maize, grass silage, distillers for my finishers which usually go to factory between Jan - March.

Just wondering would the barley silage be a better option

Advertisement