Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Gets the iPhone Megathread

Options
  • 27-05-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭

Meteor is getting the iPhone. Don't have any more info I can get at this stage but here is the gist:

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/digital-life/item/21966-iphone-4-coming-to-meteor-a
    The iPhone 4 is arriving on Meteor and eMobile in the next few weeks, making Apple’s smartphone available on all networks.

According to Eircom, the iPhone 4 will be released on these networks in “the coming weeks.”

The highly in-demand device has been available on O2, Vodafone and 3 Mobile since its release, and its impending arrival on Meteor and eMobile will mean that it will be available to potentially any customer in Ireland, regardless of their network.

While no official release date has been announced, users can register their interest for the device on the eMobile or Meteor website in order to receive an email informing them on when the iPhone 4 is available on these networks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

I'd say Meteor have taken a bit of a hit from not stocking the iPhone. I know a few lads who switched from Meteor just to be able to get the iPhone on another network. I'd say they were forced into this move and no harm. I'm more interested in getting the HTC Desire HD but it was a silly move on Meteor's part for not stocking the iPhone - maybe they had their reasons.

I think all the other companies have an iPhone specific bill plan don't they? Maybe Meteor will do the same. Aswell as that the contracts seem to all be 18/24 month duration - with no 12 option available.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭dmn

Meteor have 12 month smart plan for €35. Wonder will it bbe available on that since its a really good price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Pretty much that there is all sorts of things going on in the background before anything like this can go through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Pretty much that there is all sorts of things going on in the background before anything like this can go through.

True and there 3G Coverage wasnt great but is rolling out to more areas atm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

do those meteor forum reps have any clue?

they were denying any talks for the iphone a couple of months ago, suddenly its being stocked in a few weeks

is there any point to them if they havent a clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Or maybe it was agreements with other phone manufacturers more likely. In any event I think they've lost out big time due to their late arrival.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,613 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I am a committed HTC Desire user on Meteor, the wife is a jailbroken Iphone 3GS user, also on Meteor.
    With our contracts up in a couple of months and herself wanting a non-jailbroken Iphone 4 this time, I thought I was going to have to go hunting for a new network, the reluctance of Meteor to hop into the sack with Apple the reason.
    However, when visiting the Meteor site today, having a look if there was any sign of the Desire HD2, I see that they are soon to stock the iPhone 4!
    Surprise, surprise!
    That's us sorted then, she can consort with the devil and have her Apple and I can stay with the rebel scum in the Android camp.
    Marriage saved!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruamar

Hi,

I would be interested to know what sort of costs your wife hass been incurring using the iPhone on their network, also, is she an occasional user or would this be a business tool?

Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

ruamar wrote: »
    Hi,

I would be interested to know what sort of costs your wife hass been incurring using the iPhone on their network, also, is she an occasional user or would this be a business tool?

Thanks in advance

I've got an iPhone 4 on meteor and I'm not over-charged anything. I pay 20E a month for my free texts to any network and my 69c a day for 50mb and all is working grand.

Btw don't expect the iPhone to be cheap, and it would be stupid to upgrade to the iPhone 4 now when the iPhone 4S/5 will be out within the next three months or so. Does it say iPhone on iPhone 4 specifically on their site?

You're also getting confused with HTC devices, there's the HTC Desire S, Desire HD and HD2. If you're getting an upgrade, wait for the HTC Sensation mid June, supposedly. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭flanders2006

They are getting both the Iphone 3GS and the Iphone 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

BArra wrote: »

they were denying any talks for the iphone a couple of months ago, suddenly its being stocked in a few weeks

they dont in actual fact if you got to their chat forum you will see a post only made today that they are releasing the iphone3gs and the iphone4 on release.and alot of surprising answers after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

BArra wrote: »

Customer Care reps wouldn't be high up the ladder to know about this in advance. Little bit low on the food chain :)

thanks bud maybe they can be all merged into one with an easy title

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jimmynokia wrote: »
    thanks bud maybe they can be all merged into one with an easy title

Done.

Leaving this here for anyone who doesn't use the apple forum, keep all questions to this thread though please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

Any ideas of the prices of the plans yet???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

IMO,

I'd be inclined to think that Meteor did not 'choose' not to stock one of, if not THE most popular device to enter the phone markets.

Looks a bit to me like Apple 'Chose' not to supply it to them!

Too late Meteor, you missed the boat pal.

• Advertisement

Think not i think they would not agree terms or spend money,they have a terrible range of handsets

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Lol they have all the best Android Handsets. What else do you need? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 jojojnr

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Think not i think they would not agree terms or spend money,they have a terrible range of handsets

All operators seem to have the same ranges these day. Name 3 handsets that Meteor don't have that you think they should? Please don't say iPhone (as it's coming soon from what they're saying).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

As far as I know the reason that Meteor didn't stock the iPhone from the start was because they could not agree to the terms and conditions that apple were imposing regarding separate price plans for iPhone users.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Same reason as with vodafone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

People who want the iPhone should leave Meteor and go to Three, I did it myself in March after been constantly lied to by Meteor, I was not the only one and if Three were to reveal stats I'd say they have gained alot of Meteor customers due to Meteor's refusal to stock the iPhone.

Meteor are a crap company and the €40 a month I pay Three gives me a massive call and text allowance plus unlimited* data, and with the Hotspot tethering you can use this for your internet and I find it to be a great deal, add in the roaming value and it works well for me.

*2TB but who'd download that much?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

And what about this megathread of complaints about how **** 3 are? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079085 2+ years and they still won't acknowledge problems with their network.

I left them for Meteor because I got sick of toggling airplane mode all the time.

jojojnr wrote: »
    All operators seem to have the same ranges these day. Name 3 handsets that Meteor don't have that you think they should? Please don't say iPhone (as it's coming soon from what they're saying).

vodafone has the best choice but would not use them they are a rip of

just A FEW nokia phones to start with

C6-00/C6-01/C5-03/E7/X2-01/5250 and this is just the nokia range.

HTC sensation/google nexus S

JUST TO NAME A FEW THERE

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

srsly78 wrote: »
    And what about this megathread of complaints about how **** 3 are? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079085 2+ years and they still won't acknowledge problems with their network.

I left them for Meteor because I got sick of toggling airplane mode all the time.

I suffer the same thing too but I have learned to live with it, and I don't have to it for calls and texts and I don't use the browser or net on the phone everyday so it doesn't matter whether its 2G or 3G, plus where I live Three are the only 3G service available thanks to the NBS paying for them to come to the area when Eircom wouldn't enable the local exchange for broadband, although after Three came, Eircom quickly followed I must admit. I get between 3.6 to 7Mb off the iPhone tethering and it has a good enough upload speed of 2Mb also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Stinicker wrote: »
    People who want the iPhone should leave Meteor and go to Three, I did it myself in March after been constantly lied to by Meteor, I was not the only one and if Three were to reveal stats I'd say they have gained alot of Meteor customers due to Meteor's refusal to stock the iPhone.

Meteor are a crap company and the €40 a month I pay Three gives me a massive call and text allowance plus unlimited* data, and with the Hotspot tethering you can use this for your internet and I find it to be a great deal, add in the roaming value and it works well for me.

*2TB but who'd download that much?

Its 15GB not 2TB. After you either get charged like hell or your speeds throttled.

I am forced to use three broadband as I can't stand eircom. And three is the only network who has 3g coverage when you place a modem beside the windows. Everytime I call their customer care I fell like jumping off cliffs of Moher : I get 50kbs dl 20kbs up speeds on mobile broadband. I admit three have a good deal with all you can eat data. But they always blame my location and my house and the modem that came from them and never their service for providing broadband speeds that barely even reach the modern day standard. When I was with them on mobile it was the same problem.

They always have a catch to their plans!

On meteor I signed up for what was advertised. No more no less. For 25 a month. Free calls/texts 200 mins and texts and 1GB of internet. Show me a network that can match that in value.

For me it had Omnia 7 and that's plenty :) Galaxy S/S2, HTC Desire S, Sensation, N8, Wildfire, Xperia Arc. What else do u need. IPhone coming will just fill up the missing niche.

And with 02/Meteor sharing networks soon. It will make it best value network in Ireland.

Advertisement