Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Gets the iPhone Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

Its 15GB not 2TB. After you either get charged like hell or your speeds throttled.

I am forced to use three broadband as I can't stand eircom. And three is the only network who has 3g coverage when you place a modem beside the windows. Everytime I call their customer care I fell like jumping off cliffs of Moher : I get 50kbs dl 20kbs up speeds on mobile broadband. I admit three have a good deal with all you can eat data. But they always blame my location and my house and the modem that came from them and never their service for providing broadband speeds that barely even reach the modern day standard. When I was with them on mobile it was the same problem.

They always have a catch to their plans!

On meteor I signed up for what was advertised. No more no less. For 25 a month. Free calls/texts 200 mins and texts and 1GB of internet. Show me a network that can match that in value.

For me it had Omnia 7 and that's plenty :) Galaxy S/S2, HTC Desire S, Sensation, N8, Wildfire, Xperia Arc. What else do u need. IPhone coming will just fill up the missing niche.

And with 02/Meteor sharing networks soon. It will make it best value network in Ireland.

Spot on!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Its 15GB not 2TB. After you either get charged like hell or your speeds throttled.

I am forced to use three broadband as I can't stand eircom. And three is the only network who has 3g coverage when you place a modem beside the windows. Everytime I call their customer care I fell like jumping off cliffs of Moher : I get 50kbs dl 20kbs up speeds on mobile broadband. I admit three have a good deal with all you can eat data. But they always blame my location and my house and the modem that came from them and never their service for providing broadband speeds that barely even reach the modern day standard. When I was with them on mobile it was the same problem.

They always have a catch to their plans!

On meteor I signed up for what was advertised. No more no less. For 25 a month. Free calls/texts 200 mins and texts and 1GB of internet. Show me a network that can match that in value.

For me it had Omnia 7 and that's plenty :) Galaxy S/S2, HTC Desire S, Sensation, N8, Wildfire, Xperia Arc. What else do u need. IPhone coming will just fill up the missing niche.

And with 02/Meteor sharing networks soon. It will make it best value network in Ireland.

The data bundle on the iPhone is different from that of Three Broadband available via the "Three Stick" which like yourself is 15GB for €19.99/month; Three customers on the NBS National Broadband Scheme get 25GB a month for €19.99/month, if your location is totally broadbandless and Three is your only option then you might be able to get their Satellite service on the NBS which would give better speeds than you were getting.

Although you say you can't stand Eircom, yet praise Meteor when they are one and the same? You could always use Eircom or Vodafone DSL broadband because using Three as your broadband supplier when you have DSL available to you is a bit of a joke as there is no comparison in the service. I use Eircom for my DSL and also use my iPhone tethered so I have two internet connections and if I want to download a massive multifile .zip or .rar file I can use both simultaneously on the laptop and Desktop to speed things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Well I'm not going to be told what websites I can and cannot go in. Even if meteor eircom and emobile are the same their strategies the in the market are different.

Eircom is a rip of. Though good availability. Especially a rip of compared to UPC Broadband. Sadly not available for me.

eMobile is Eircoms attempt to regain customers who don't think landline is something worth having these days when you have a mobile phone + gain some business customers because Meteor is regarded as a cheap teenage network.

All I want is to be able to stream YouTube videos without waiting and be able to play some games online.

Sadly having full coverage with three broadband means you get the stated figures before.

Lol I actually tested before three brodband from a USB modem and tethering meteor data of a handset in urban area

Guess what? Meteor always proved to have a more consistent faster broadband than these ever did.

You can't deny Meteor has the best value and there's no bull**** in their offers. No limited crap in small print under fair usage policy.

As I said. You get what's advertises. Unless some clueless salesmen bull****s you with crap.

Oh and btw u can only use one internet connection at a time ;) unless ya have a dual LAN port, even that doesn't speed it up by much just provides more consistency between speeds. Having DSL,WiFi and tethering isn't going to speed anything up :)

I'm not praising meteor. I'm just stating the obvious. There is no network in Ireland for me that I would feel that I'm actually getting great value :) their all in England :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,224 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

There is no 15GB cap or even 2TB it is what it says unlimited.

02 are not sharing their network with Meteor, there sharing locations which means that if Meteor want to they can put up a mast at an 02 location, it does not mean that Meteor will have access to the 02 voice or data network. 02 are struggling with data on their own network without having to share it with another 1million people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

02 are not sharing their network with Meteor, there sharing locations which means that if Meteor want to they can put up a mast at an 02 location, it does not mean that Meteor will have access to the 02 voice or data network. 02 are struggling with data on their own network without having to share it with another 1million people.

Sure it's unlimited, but what they don't tell you is they cannot guarantee bandwidth if you go over 15GB. After that you get throttled so much that you can't even browse. (edit: ok they do tell you, buried deep in the small print)

So effectively it IS limited, don't believe their marketing rubbish.

Also (@other posters), STOP calling mobile internet broadband. This is yet more marketing rubbish and should not be propagated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Ghandee wrote: »
    IMO,

I'd be inclined to think that Meteor did not 'choose' not to stock one of, if not THE most popular device to enter the phone markets.

Looks a bit to me like Apple 'Chose' not to supply it to them!

Too late Meteor, you missed the boat pal.

If you are an iPhone bill pay user, you could hardly begrudge this?

This will open the market more on Bill Pay for the iPhone in Ireland. Meteor are taking huge steps forward in the market and with the iPhone they are again going to take more customers back and new ones with their price plans.

I'm sure this is only going to be a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Le King wrote: »
    If you are an iPhone bill pay user, you could hardly begrudge this?

This will open the market more on Bill Pay for the iPhone in Ireland. Meteor are taking huge steps forward in the market and with the iPhone they are again going to take more customers back and new ones with their price plans.

I'm sure this is only going to be a good thing.

I reckon so myself but lets wait and see their plans and terms and conditions

Look up the thread regarding o2 and meteor deal. It was regarding mast sharing. Unless they managed to change since the deal was announced.

And yes there is a cap. Not sure who came up with the 2TB thingy but its a definetly has a fair usage policy. After 15GB you will be either will be throttled or will be billed.

Dont believe me go on three site and read T&C's. I think most people should know at this stage that when Three says "UNLIMITED" its actually limited. Im still pissed of that nothing has been done about this scam advertising from several networks of free unlimited calls, texts or internet when in fact they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Oh yes, 12 month contract please.

september at the latest, oh noes the iphone 5 - oops ;).

2tb what sort of concoction of drugs are you smoking?

• Advertisement

Oh yes, 12 month contract please.

september at the latest, oh noes the iphone 5 - oops ;).

2tb what sort of concoction of drugs are you smoking?

In the mythree.ie account I have over 2TB in download allowance remaining for the month.

From reliable sources meteor got delivery of iphones today and are to go on sale tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

jimmynokia wrote: »
    From reliable sources meteor got delivery of iphones today and are to go on sale tomorrow

Any information on the price plans?

I was told the shops will be mailed the prices in the morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Look up the thread regarding o2 and meteor deal. It was regarding mast sharing. Unless they managed to change since the deal was announced.
    They're sharing masts but they are not sharing spectrum. It still requires Meteor to go in and install their own network equipment.
    And yes there is a cap. Not sure who came up with the 2TB thingy but its a definetly has a fair usage policy. After 15GB you will be either will be throttled or will be billed.

Dont believe me go on three site and read T&C's. I think most people should know at this stage that when Three says "UNLIMITED" its actually limited. Im still pissed of that nothing has been done about this scam advertising from several networks of free unlimited calls, texts or internet when in fact they are.
    It's unlimited in the sense that no matter how much data you use, you won't be charged extra. The rest of the networks charge penal rates once you exceed your allowance, Three will simply throttle the speed you can send and receive data at.
    Any information on the price plans?
    Someone on the thread in the Apple Media Devices section claims that they were handed a leaflet in the Dundrum Meteor store with the new price plans - link [here]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Here's the full pricing:

12 Month Contracts:
    Connect 25
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Connect 50
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Connect 65
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Max
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €249
    iPhone 4 16GB - €349
    iPhone 4 32GB - €449

Smart 35
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €249
    iPhone 4 16GB - €349
    iPhone 4 32GB - €449

18 Month Contracts:
    Connect 20
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Connect 45
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Connect 60
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Smart 30
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €199
    iPhone 4 16GB - €299
    iPhone 4 32GB - €399

Smart 50
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €149
    iPhone 4 16GB - €249
    iPhone 4 32GB - €349

Smart Unlimited
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €49
    iPhone 4 16GB - €149
    iPhone 4 32GB - €249

Pay As You Go
    iPhone 3GS 8GB €469
    iPhone 4 16 GB €569
    iPhone 4 32GB €669

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭bd250110

I think meteor are giving customers good choice here. You can either pay up front, or each month. Best of both worlds. 3 is probably still betteer value overall, but YMMV

• Registered Users Posts: 19 CharlieSheen

I'm currently on an 18th month contract with meteor, the 30e p/m one with 200mins and 200 texts,and a gig of internet.
    The thing is though I've it with a HTC wildfire, which I HATE!its painfully slow and laggy,impossible to text off and the touch screen is often unresponsive....

So I was wondering If anyone would know,could I upgrade to the 45 p/m plan to get the iPhone 4? Even though I'm only 6 months or so into my current contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I'm currently on an 18th month contract with meteor, the 30e p/m one with 200mins and 200 texts,and a gig of internet.
    The thing is though I've it with a HTC wildfire, which I HATE!its painfully slow and laggy,impossible to text off and the touch screen is often unresponsive....

So I was wondering If anyone would know,could I upgrade to the 45 p/m plan to get the iPhone 4? Even though I'm only 6 months or so into my current contract.

no

• Advertisement

emobile have good tarriff
    http://www.emobile.ie/iphone/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

TheTechGuy wrote: »
    Here's the full pricing:

12 Month Contracts:
    Connect 25
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Connect 50
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Connect 65
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Max
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €249
    iPhone 4 16GB - €349
    iPhone 4 32GB - €449

Smart 35
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €249
    iPhone 4 16GB - €349
    iPhone 4 32GB - €449

18 Month Contracts:
    Connect 20
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Connect 45
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Connect 60
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €469
    iPhone 4 16GB - €569
    iPhone 4 32GB - €669

Smart 30
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €199
    iPhone 4 16GB - €299
    iPhone 4 32GB - €399

Smart 50
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €149
    iPhone 4 16GB - €249
    iPhone 4 32GB - €349

Smart Unlimited
    iPhone 3GS 8GB - €49
    iPhone 4 16GB - €149
    iPhone 4 32GB - €249

Pay As You Go
    iPhone 3GS 8GB €469
    iPhone 4 16 GB €569
    iPhone 4 32GB €669

some of the billpay connect plans are the same price as the pay as you go, 569

should the phone not be cheaper when you sign to a contract

Here are details of allowances with our Smart and Connect plans for those interested

Bill Pay Smart
    http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/smart/#plans-tab

Bill Pay Connect
    http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/connect/#plans-tab

Thanks
    Caitriona
    Meteor talk to us

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

im a bit of a dumbass about these things :o:o

but why do people who are movin to meteor get free meteor to meteor calls and texts???

why is my loyalty not being rewarded?? :o:o

woodnt go bill pay for these reasons.... i love my free calls and texts to meteor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭desodon

With 3 you are entitled to an upgrade after 12 months of the 18 (or 24 month) contract, provided you sign a new contract. Does anyone know if this is the case with Meteors longer duration plans?

desodon wrote: »
    With 3 you are entitled to an upgrade after 12 months of the 18 (or 24 month) contract, provided you sign a new contract. Does anyone know if this is the case with Meteors longer duration plans?

Really :confused: I'm on the iPhone 4 and am on a 2 year contract, if the iPhone 5 or whatever was out in a years time could I renew and get it at a lower cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

desodon wrote: »

I doubt this is the case. On their website it says that 12 month contracts are due in month 10, 18 month in month 16. Stands to reason that 24 months contacts can upgrade in month 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 toughcookie40

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Here are details of allowances with our Smart and Connect plans for those interested

Bill Pay Smart
    http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/smart/#plans-tab

Bill Pay Connect
    http://www.meteor.ie/plans/bill_pay/connect/#plans-tab

Thanks
    Caitriona
    Meteor talk to us

But these don't offer free meteor talk and text??? Not a good deal at all.
    I'd sign up in a flash to Smart 35 for 24 months if this was offered.
    Meteor isn't loyal to good customers as far as I can see. Very disappointing

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭desodon

chrislad wrote: »
    I doubt this is the case. On their website it says that 12 month contracts are due in month 10, 18 month in month 16. Stands to reason that 24 months contacts can upgrade in month 22.

Hi guys a guy in the 3 shop in Dundrum told me this for sure. I've heard or seen nothing of it since though. Maybe I misunderstood. I think I'll buy this direct from Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Why is this a MEGATHREAD? 61st post!!! Mega???

Advertisement